Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I've run it twice since the event and it seems all set now. Glad it happened in the garage and not on the highway or on the track. Its beyond embarrassing; its downright dangerous.
    #6 of 11 Roanoke Special Edition ACR Extreme

Maybe it’s just lonely and it’s signaling it wants to spend more time with you. Under 1000 miles on car in over two years ownership?

Regional Secretary
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    Web Site Committee
    Sounds like a battery issue to me...
    '01 Sapphire RT/10. '08 Snakeskin Green Vert. "H" spokes, Grey/Black interior, Graphite bezels, NAV, Full Belanger exhaust w/ Hi-Flows, ARROW PCM and Quaife rear end with 3.55's. http://www.westernreservevipers.com

maybe your car is tired of sitting in a garage and tried to keep itself from going up on the rack

Quote Originally Posted by 01sapphirebob View Post
    Sounds like a battery issue to me...
    Perhaps. the first time I tried starting after the event there was a slow crank which is certainly a symptom of a battery going. However, it's only 30 months old and has always been hooked up to a Deltran from day one. Currently it accepts the tender and green light is given holding a charge. Will look into a voltmeter. Thanks.

As for not driving it much, guilty as charged. Then again the car wasn't intended for transportation and anyone who says they DD it and replace these tires every 90 days is a flat out, well, you know the rest.

Uh oh....six months away from out of basic warranty. You know what happens now.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperJon View Post
    Uh oh....six months away from out of basic warranty. You know what happens now.
    Yea, you buy an extended warranty.
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

Isn't powertrain 5 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Policy Limits View Post
    I think he is referring to the bumper-to-bumper portion which is 3yr/36k.

This stalling issue is a weird one. Especially since it has happened to other members too.
    14' GTS - SRT Hood/Laguna and Carbon interior/Carbon Aero/18 Speaker/Hyper Sidewinders.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Yes, or 10 years if you had a car with R28.

I remember back when I had my GTS Dodge used to market a lifetime warranty to me but I think those days are gone. Still, I might look into an extended warranty since I plan on keeping the vehicle long term.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    So I take a nice 30 mile ride up to my local Ferrari dealer for service (right past dozens of Dodge dealers) yesterday. They've changed my oil three times (Summer of 2017, 2018, 2019) in my car which was manufactured in Fall 2016 and delivered Christmas week (see Santa claus came early thread) of 2016.

Although the ride up was a breeze, the ride back got bogged down in heavy traffic. It was extremely humid yesterday with temperature over 90 degrees. I unfortunately had to endure several exits of stop and go traffic in sweltering heat. I had a really bad feeling about it when I first saw traffic. After some time of stop and go in first gear I did see my temperature gauge get up over 200 and as high as 203. There was no way I could blast the heat (I had a suit on) but I did not have the airconditiong on (I've never used it once) and I had both windows all the way down. On the plus side the cooling system seemed to work as I saw temps decline down to around 190 along the way.

Once traffic broke I had open roads the entire way home which was about 30 miles of highway driving all together. I get my garage door open and start to load the car on the loading ramps to my four post lift. I get it up on the rails with all four tires flat on and then the car dies. Lots of lights on the dash and it definitely will not crank and will not start.

I open the hood to mitigate heat getting trapped in the engine bay. I also hook up to a battery tender just in case it's a charging issue. I leave the car in that position for two hours. There is zero smoke or steam and no fluids leaking anywhere both at failure time and revisiting time. When I revisit the car fortunately fired up. It was a hard start though and it's pretty well documented on here how these machines hate stalling. I noticed my temperature gauge was now at 165 on start up. Idle was pretty rough. I put the car on first gear and moved it forward and then in reverse to move back a bit and finally back in first to put it in position where I typically store it on the lift. Questions:

1. Where is your temperature gauge reading on start up and where is it once the vehicle is running? I tried to search on here and didnt find much.

2. Is it a total coincidence that I had literally just changed the oil and filter? It's pretty well documented on here that cars have stalled after an oil change but its unknown if theres correlation.

3. Would you do anything additional (all fluid levels were checked and fine, no leaks) in these circumstances? It was such an ordeal that I did not yet get the opportunity to check the diagnostic screen for codes but intend to.

4. When exactly is the idle relearn? I know generally that idle was at 1100-1200 for the first thousand miles on both vipers that I bought new and broke in. This car has 971 Miles now which is close to that number. It seems to be idling at or around 500 now but pretty rough (only tried it once so far) and I dont know if it's a coincidence that its occurring as I approach 1,000 miles.

Dodge, lol.
    The fans don't even turn on until over 200* and the thermostat opens around 200*. So normal street cruising you should be at least that, more like around 210-215. I see 240* on the track, no issues.
    2013 caged 9.0 liter, 2016 ACR, 1996 GTS, 2001 RT/10, 2003 SRT/10, 2018 AMG GTR, 2005 Ford GT, 2019 Megacab Dually

Yeah if you read the posts we have ruled out overheating. (The only thing with a high temperature that day was me ha) I think it's either idle relearn drama as the odometer approaches 1,000 miles or battery or plain old fashioned dodge fuckery.

Enthusiast
    If its battery, get that replaced before warranty runs out.

3 oil changes under 950 miles thats the insane part of this thread

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Is there any evidence that a weak battery causes a Viper to run poorly? I hear this repeated on this site often, however, I ran my Gen 4 ACR (after jump starting it) some 25 miles and it ran fine. This was after having a car carrier bring it back to Denver after the Charlotte VOI. No problem with rough idle and it accelerated like it always did. When I got home the battery was still only reading 4.5 volts.

Quote Originally Posted by texasram View Post
    Not really. Dodge says every six months or 6000 miles whichever comes first. I agree its overboard excessive but you certainly don't want Dodge trying to weasel out of a warranty issue because you didn't follow the manual to the letter.

NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
    exceed 6,000 miles (10,000 km) or six months, whichever
    occurs first.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by texasram View Post
    I change mine before a track event and again as soon as I get back. 17000 miles and at least 15 oil changes. Blackstone keeps telling me my numbers are waaay below average, so I will keep doing what I am doing.
    2015 Comp Blue TA 2.0 #001

Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post
    I change mine before a track event and again as soon as I get back. 17000 miles and at least 15 oil changes. Blackstone keeps telling me my numbers are waaay below average, so I will keep doing what I am doing.
    "I change mine". Guess what, one of the questions fca asks you if your engine pops is Do you do your own oil changes. And one guy got warrantee denial on here because of that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12