Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    George

Its Christmas, you are supposed give presents, not lumps of coal - Ho Ho Ho!
    Well at least I know what to get Toolafterlife.
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Southern California
    Tech Team
    Chris at Toolafterlife has taken care of all my needs for Viper's up to 2017. I hit the same dead ends with the dealer.
    He can set you up to do pretty much anything you need to do for a reasonable price. He is also there for you after the
    sale if you run into issues.
    specialtyperformanceteam.com
    310-597-6295

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGeorge View Post
    Merry Christmas George
    Self tuned HPT 10.85@130 mph (DA=+1000)
    [B]Arrow Heads & Cam - best run is coming
    (Sold) 1997 Red/White -10.9/129 MPH

Merry Christmas George

Enthusiast
    Good Lord! That is impressive but why do you need so many copies of what look to be the same tool? Is this like collecting salt and pepper shakers or spoons? Do they all do different things or are they really all the same?
    I repair/buy/sell/trade them (locally and through ebay) and occasionally get roped into doing tech support. It started out as a quest to understand what was available and to get myself a tool that I could use in an "offline" capacity for my neon srt-4. It was never my intention to acquire so many but I started getting offers for multiples at once. 7 of those starscans came from a single person. I got some new hardware in today actually. It came from a manufacturing plant. Complete with a manufacturing version of witech. At any rate, things just kind of snowballed. The more I learned about this stuff the more i became a point of contact for other people with questions, people looking for hardware and even people looking for parts and repair. I now do component level pcb repair on everything except the micropd 2 (tiny components) and I have provided complete laptop/software/tool packages with ongoing tech support to shops. I don't really make much off of it. Enough to offset the tools I want to keep and keep up on vehicle maintenance. But it does feel good to help other people navigate the mess Chrysler made of the tool/software situation. This stuff is fascinating to learn about too. Who knows I may end up writing a book at some point. I'm working with someone on another forum to reverse engineer the DRB 3 caster inclinometer for the viper. I posted a bunch of detailed pictures of the internals of the DRB 3 if you happen across it.
    I do know one person who is more of a hoarder than me. The guy has 21 DRB 3's! pic included.

Edit: Thank you for the reference Dan! Merry Christmas!

IMG_6236.jpg
    IMG_6240.jpg
    IMG_6038.jpg
    Last edited by ToolAfterlife; 12-24-2019 at 12:43 AM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cragin View Post
    Chris at Toolafterlife has taken care of all my needs for Viper's up to 2017. I hit the same dead ends with the dealer.
    He can set you up to do pretty much anything you need to do for a reasonable price. He is also there for you after the
    sale if you run into issues.
    Thank you for the recommendation. I usually don't mention specifics of who I have worked with (unless references are requested in private conversation). I don't want anyone to think/feel that I am unduly trying to benefit from their good reputation. So it means a lot to me when someone chooses to make a recommendation publicly; thank you.

I also highly recommend Dan's shop specialtyperformanceteam.com . They did my last 2 clutch replacements and replaced my steering rack. It was top quality work with great attention to detail. If you're in Southern California and need work done, definitly consider taking it to them.

Speaking of which, I have a software update for your setup I need to coordinate with you when it's convenient. I need to install the "Enhanced DRB 3 emulator" so you can more easily/quickly diagnose the 'mixed bus' 2008 - 2010 Viper and the 2006 SRT-10. It also has better coverage for the earlier vehicles than the 'original' DRB 3 emulator we tested; which didn't communicate with the 1997 Viper that was at the shop. It's a free update obviously, I just need to spend a little time with the computer.

Some images attached to better explain the mixed bus architecture and the added coverage of the "Enhanced DRB 3 Emulator".
    Disregard the "Witech 2.0" entries. Those will work in Witech 17.04.27 "offline" for vehicles manufactured up to 07/2017.
    If you require the use of Techauthority, you will need to use Witech 2.0 and have a 'secure' Micropod 2.
    As stated in knowledge base article 648: A microPod with a serial number of WSP-31560 or higher is required for wiTECH 2

Enhanced DRB 3 emulator.PNG

enhanced drb 3 emulator vehicles mixed.PNG

j1850 viper enhanced drb 3 emulator - Copy.PNG

Enhanced DRB 3 emulator vehicles added.jpg
    Last edited by ToolAfterlife; 12-24-2019 at 05:46 AM.

Enthusiast
    IMG_6612.jpg
    Behold, the holy grail! Offline CDA 6. Cost me an arm and a leg but I finally got my hands on it.

The holy grail for me would be to be able to use the micropod 2 for everything, offline, without needing tech-authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen5snake View Post
    The holy grail for me would be to be able to use the micropod 2 for everything, offline, without needing tech-authority.
    That is how Toolafterlife's package works. I have been playing with mine, one neat feature is a quick record function that does not need a laptop, there is a remote switch that plugs into the micropod. You can build PID templates and download them to the pod, those are than used for recording either to the POD or to the laptop. The only problem I have had, the car cannot be driven, however, I have easily connected to the car and looked at data.

Enthusiast
    CDA 6 is what they used to program your car in the factory during assembly. I think they used witech towards the end of the line to do things like the relearns, it is referred to as mCDA and also self identifies as manufacturing witech, but the initial low level programming was done with CDA. We would all love a completely offline solution but it's just not in the cards for the 2014+ vehicles. Witech 17.04.27 was the last version of the old witech that works offline and covers up through 2017 vehicles.

But the 2014+ vehicles added in a rolling pin code system for key programming that requires you to be a licensed locksmith to get access to the pin codes and the "restore vehicle configuration" function in the software required an online connection to chrysler to query a database for the sales codes associated with your vin number. Since the online support for witech 1.0 versions has been discontinued, there is no way to do that from witech 17 now.

Micropod 2's can be used with witech 17, firmware version 2.4.3. The micropod 2 can also be used with CDA 6, firmware 2.2.1, but this is the same configuration profile as witech 1.0 versions. If you configure the Micropod 2 to be used with Witech 2.0 which is exclusively online, it cannot be used with CDA 6 or witech 17.04.27 again. They disabled the ability to switch between the two versions of witech back in version 16.

The setup Jack got from me is about as good as it will get. It does a lot more than you would expect but there are certainly things it won't do. The software in your vehicle isn't open source so witech isn't going to let you do anything crazy with it. But for diagnostic and repair work, it's invaluable.

If you want to get into a module and start altering the hexadecimal code by hand, CDA will let you do that. CDA is what the engineering department used during development and it was used in the factory. That picture of CDA 6 I posted has been configured to be used offline. The database for the vehicles covered is on the computer so no techauthority necessary for the functions it was meant to cover. I would be happy to discuss it further with you if you were interested but I can tell you that it's expensive. You would be much better served with a witech setup; would cost you considerably less too.

Depending on the year of your vehicle, I could do a CDA 5/witech dual installation setup. Basically have 2 hard drive partitions and you select the one you need during bootup. I would caution you about messing around with CDA though. It is more than happy to let you flash the wrong software into a module and brick it. The software assumes you know what you're doing so it's not going to baby you if you ask it to do something that would be bad for the vehicle.
    Last edited by ToolAfterlife; 01-23-2020 at 12:04 AM.

I currently have a micropod II with trigger. It's currently configured to be used with Witech 2.0. Can it be reconfigured? I'm just looking to do diagnostic and repair work, relearns...etc. I'm not looking to do any locksmith work. What would be needed in addition to what I already have to accomplish this? Can you PM me your contact info? Thanks!

Micropod2.jpg

Enthusiast
    I currently have a micropod II with trigger. It's currently configured to be used with Witech 2.0. Can it be reconfigured? I'm just looking to do diagnostic and repair work, relearns...etc. I'm not looking to do any locksmith work. What would be needed in addition to what I already have to accomplish this? Can you PM me your contact info? Thanks!
    I sent you a message. I think we can get you sorted out.
    Last edited by ToolAfterlife; 01-23-2020 at 03:34 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12