Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Central California
    Quote Originally Posted by AZTVR View Post
    I was reading a discussion on another forum about 50-50 versus 40-60 and the advantages of the rear mid-engine for racing. It got way too technical for me to follow without doing some heavy research. I did not do all that well in the one mechanical engineering class that I had to take in college, which was Statics and Dynamics. My head starts to spin when they start talking vectors and polar moment of inertia, etc.

The Engineering Explained guy does have a good cursory look at the weight distribution question, here: https://youtu.be/vJhhUQ4OpLA

Thanks, yes it's way over my head.. lol!! I was reading a bit about it as well and it seems like that tends to be quite the topic on several forums. I guess there's plus's and minus's to either.... and I'm sure it depends a lot on the driver as well. I guess if your use to driving a Viper or a C7, you'll have a learning curve with the C8. Just one more thing to think about before tracking one.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    If rear bias is so good maybe we should just throw 300 lbs in our trunks. It would change a Gen V from 50/50 to 46/54 and at 3650 lbs it would weigh about what the C8 will weigh. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    If rear bias is so good maybe we should just throw 300 lbs in our trunks. Lol.
    This could be called the Kardashian’ modification........

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Houston

When talking performance driving, what really matters is weight distribution during braking and acceleration. A rear weight bias during braking evens out meaning all 4 tires are used more evenly to maximize braking grip. Ideally you want 50/50 during braking. During acceleration, most of the weight shifts to the rear which is what you want for grip during acceleration.

50/50 static doesnt mean anything because a properly driven car at the track should never be coasting or static. 50/50 is straight up marketing BS
    Last edited by ForTehNguyen; 07-26-2019 at 09:38 AM.
    2013 RaceYellow/Black GTS Laguna
    2015 Mustang GT Premium Perf Pack

Enthusiast
    spring rates, sway bars, tires size / contact patch profile which all often vary between front and rear will dictate and have a more profound effect on grip and turn-in characteristics...then minor difference in weight distribution ratios. The former is is all tuned to the resulting weight distribution...

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Houston

full pricing:
    https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...ricing_PDF.pdf

1LT: 60k
    2LT: 67.3k
    3LT: 72k

Theres a ton of options but heres the main ones:
    Z51 Package: $5000
    Magnetic suspension: $1900
    Front axle lift: $1500
    Certain Paints: $500-1000
    performance exhaust: $1200
    GT2 Seats: $1500
    Wheels: $1000-1500
    Seatbelt colors: $400
    Calipers $600
    Racing Strips: $1000
    Exterior accents: ranges from $1000 to $5000
    Engine Appearance: $1000

note to get access to some of the custom interior colors, you have to go 3LT minimum. 1LT only has 3 interior choices, 2LT has 4, 3LT has 10

Enthusiast
    From Jalopnik:
    Total different market/styling appeal. IMHO

G5 vs C8.jpg
    Last edited by AZTVR; 08-15-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    Jim

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    New England
    My C8 came in at $67,200. I didn't add any of the "fluff" alot of guys are adding. I ordered 1LT, Z51, upgraded wheels, red calipers. That's it. Alot of bang for the buck IMO.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by capevettes View Post
    My C8 came in at $67,200. I didn't add any of the "fluff" alot of guys are adding. I ordered 1LT, Z51, upgraded wheels, red calipers. That's it. Alot of bang for the buck IMO.
    I'm no Vette guy, but I thought the magnetic suspension would be on your list. Not worth it? Where does the magnetic suspension help, track or street?
    1996 Viper GTS

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    New England
    Quote Originally Posted by ticklechicken View Post
    I'm no Vette guy, but I thought the magnetic suspension would be on your list. Not worth it? Where does the magnetic suspension help, track or street?
    I've had Z51 with and without mag ride. The difference is almost imperceptible. It does soften the ride a bit in Tour mode on the street. The theory behind mag ride is that it senses the changes in the road surface and maintains a better contact patch with the tires. I have it in my current C7 Z06 (M7). It is a fantastic car on the track. I do think the Mag ride insulates the driver a bit from the road feel, but that's just my opinion. Some share it and some disagree. To me, the almost 2 grand for mag ride wasn't worth it. I made a conscious decision to keep the price down and the car light. I plan to move on in a couple of years to the Z06 anyway.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Houston

price hike for 2021? They have done it in the past within just a few months of release. Dont get too excited over the price. +$4000 from 2014 to 2015 is a pretty substantial price hike. They've done it in the past, dont say no one warned you.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...tingray-price/

The previous-generation Corvette Stingray originally started life as a $51,995 machine in 2014. A few months later, the price jumped to $53,993, then to $55,995 in 2015. There's a pattern here, and if demand for the C8 Corvette is as high as Chevy thinks it will be, the $59,995 price isn't likely to stick around long

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Central North Florida
    Z06 will be TT Flat Plane Crank V8. https://www.motortrend.com/news/c8-c...UBLn5q1nsVMPvU
    Venom Black Viper TA #15 ~ CM700

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Central California

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

Now that is what makes so much sense , and frankly with all the new EV craze I still figure the real future is in Hybrids ------ gasoline engine for range, recharging of the batteries, and extreme power for vehicles like the Corvette. The technology from F1 just carries over and in the next ten years it would not be unfeasible for a car to self generate power from the use of multiple energy systems ( electric, gasoline, solar, etc. ). Just my thoughts , but somehow I think things will evolve into the realm of super power and efficiency long before autonomous ever comes to real fruition.

Thanks for posting the Motor Trend news article.
    Concierge Coordinator for Luxury and Performance Vehicles within the Woodhouse Auto Family ( now 19 Stores )

Looks like they still have a few over/understeer bugs to fix:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...oth/ar-BBXCUjw
    Blake

2016 Viper GTC 1 of 1 Prefix Arrow 9.0

Regional Director
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Ontario
    Interesting commentary from Randy , thanks for sharing !
    White Mamba ,

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345