VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    Northern California

Best Option for Tires In light of Pirelli Issue

So some of you probably received the same email I just received. The Pirelli is only going to be available as a Corsa (DOT track tire). That's cool, but I don't wanna throw rocks all over my car, so I was hoping the PZEROs would be at least an option. So...

The Kumho V720 ACR that set some records and impressed Pobst is available in the rear size, but not the front. Great... However, the front is available in the same dimensions but a 19" wheel size.

Am I better off upgrading my wheels and going with the Kumho for a good balance of track and street...? I will most likely upgrade wheels regardless so this seems to eliminate a set of OEM tires by just doing wheels and tires together.

All input appreciated. Track days would be weekend warrior status, not competitive. Thanks!
    2014 SRT - Full APR Aero - BC Racing Coil Overs - 50/30/5% tint - Custom Black Tail Lamp Panel - Corsa Exhaust
    Previous: 2004 Dodge Viper "Mamba" #184 of 200

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Houston
    P Zero Corsa has been a good tire for
    Me on the street. Gonna get about 10k miles. I think those ACR tires are just as sticky, if not more. So I don’t think your perceived rock chip issue would be any different. Maybe some stone guards are needed. Personally I will go with another new set of P Zero Corsas, unless they aren’t available; if not I’ll go with Michelin PSC2.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    Northern California
    Good input, thanks. How about the Toyo R888s?
    2014 SRT - Full APR Aero - BC Racing Coil Overs - 50/30/5% tint - Custom Black Tail Lamp Panel - Corsa Exhaust

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

If you are trying to avoid rock chips ,etc. and you are not tracking the car get ahold of Jon B. and get a set of Michelin Super Sports. The Toyos are DOT competition tires and they actually state for track or autocross only, so that is an easy answer on how sticky they are? Sounds like you want a good street tire and at present the Michelin is one of your best choices in my estimation. Good luck.

PS - don't get misled by the fact that the Michelins are a bit narrower on lettered sizing ( 345 vs 355 ) , because they are almost identical in real life since they run wider than the Pirellis.
    Last edited by Bill Pemberton; 1 Week Ago at 06:43 AM.
    Concierge Coordinator for Luxury and Performance Vehicles within the Woodhouse Auto Family ( now 19 Stores )

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    If you are trying to avoid rock chips ,etc. and you are not tracking the car get ahold of Jon B. and get a set of Michelin Super Sports. The Toyos are DOT competition tires and they actually state for track or autocross only, so that is an easy answer on how sticky they are? Sounds like you want a good street tire and at present the Michelin is one of your best choices in my estimation. Good luck.

PS - don't get misled by the fact that the Michelins are a bit narrower on lettered sizing ( 345 vs 355 ) , because they are almost identical in real life since they run wider than the Pirellis.
    Is Jon B Only selling Michelin now? I sent him an email a couple weeks back and he told me to go to Tire Rack. Mind you, I was asking for Pirelli or Toyo.
    First it was a '95 RT/10, then came the '01 GTS. Now it's a '14 GTS. They say the third time's the charm, I have to agree.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

Beats me , maybe he is winding down, but worth a call. If not ask for Luke Pavlik at the TireRack , he has also helped Viper owners for years - ext. 4362.
    Concierge Coordinator for Luxury and Performance Vehicles within the Woodhouse Auto Family ( now 19 Stores )

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    Northern California
    Great information to help me make an informed decision, thank you. I almost want to track it once this year to see how I like the Pirellis on it and see how they grip and go from there... I say non-competitive but I also spent 10 years of my life racing AFM and moonlighting in the AMA west coast series so I may push a bit harder than I'm thinking... Also, I don't drive it much, so tire longevity is more time than wear anyway.

Another +1 for Michelin Pilot SuperSports if 90+% road use
    2014 GTS

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    JonB PartsRack is selling everything that TireRack sells....we just sell it for less. Pirelli, Toyo, Michelin, BFG, Kumho.

WE HAVE TIRES FOR ALL GENERATIONS

EXCEPTION: If you are in Canada Boondocks, like Rare above, we might not be able or willing to help due to all the time Consuming export broker fees, provincial taxes, disposal fees, and ship costs for no savings, and / or little-no profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Snake View Post
    Is Jon B Only selling Michelin now? I sent him an email a couple weeks back and he told me to go to Tire Rack. Mind you, I was asking for Pirelli or Toyo.
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 1 Week Ago at 02:52 PM.
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

Rock Chip Guards are $159 or so.....

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    Northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    Rock Chip Guards are $159 or so.....
    Do these consists of just rockers? Already have my headlights, marker lights, and bumper/hood done.

I'll reach out to JonB who sells everything Tire Rack does once I'm ready...

Ed Massena
    VOA National Secretary
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    NY/CT
    I did the boomerang rock chip guards for the G5. very easy install and they should prevent 90% or more of the rock chips in the usual spots. (that's in addition to the XPEL being on the side sills, behind rear wheels.) Highly recommend some kind of physical blocker like that from DSE or PartsRack if you're concerned about the pebbles etc.

As for the tires... R888 are super sticky and terrifying in standing water. I love them on my Gen3, but those side sills have been chipped to death for years already. Can't go wrong with Michelin or P-Corsa for the street.
    NY/CT VOA - find us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nyctvoa/

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Minnesota
    JonB PartsRack is selling everything that TireRack sells....we just sell it for less. Pirelli, Toyo, Michelin, BFG, Kumho.

WE HAVE TIRES FOR ALL GENERATIONS

EXCEPTION: If you are in Canada Boondocks, like Rare above, we might not be able or willing to help due to all the time Consuming export broker fees, provincial taxes, disposal fees, and ship costs for no savings, and / or little-no profit.
    I usually get them shipped to a parcel service in North Dakota and drive down the hour to pick them up. Can I get that price now? lol

Dason
    First it was a '95 RT/10, then came the '01 GTS. Now it's a '14 GTS. They say the third time's the charm, I have to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by ACR-ISH View Post
    Do these consists of just rockers? Already have my headlights, marker lights, and bumper/hood done.

I'll reach out to JonB who sells everything Tire Rack does once I'm ready...
    4 wheel wells, as a 'mud flap' ..... ABS smoothe / textured. Reversible. Email me and Ill send pix JonB@PartsRack.com Thanks

Ready when U R on tires

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Snake View Post
    I usually get them shipped to a parcel service in North Dakota and drive down the hour to pick them up. Can I get that price now? lol
    Dason
    We shipped you a set of tires to ND exactly 3 years ago. Same address?

Email me full details when ready to place the order.

Under $1500 delivered: JonB@PartsRack.com.

THANKS BILL. Those concerned about the supposed 10mm of contact patch, as Bill says, the 10mm actually measures out to about 4mm, due to carcass construction.

Here is approx 10MM: ___ Here is 4mm: _ Now, split that in HALF! Why? Tire width is split between inside and outside shoulders!

Admit It: 355mm is simply BRAGGING RIGHTS, 'mine is bigger than yours' and not any performance requirement! Maybe Randy Pobst might notice .05 sec. at Laguna on Michelins ......... Me? NOT!

Consider: All Vipers from 1992-2017 have 13" Wide OE rear wheels, even ACR-E and ACRX. They rode on 335, 345, or355 rear tires. For many years, aftermarket 20x13" Boat Anchors rode on 335 rear tires. NO CHOICE for first 20 years. So, you wont lose G5 traction on 345 rears ! [None of those prior Gens had Traction Control anyway.]

Many G4 records were on Michelins. Great alternative to Zeros for street and even HPDE. Drive with confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post

Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 1 Week Ago at 01:40 PM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    Northern California
    4 wheel wells, as a 'mud flap' ..... ABS smoothe / textured. Reversible. Email me and Ill send pix JonB@PartsRack.com Thanks

Ready when U R on tires
    Emailed. Thank you, sir!

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Houston
    I just want all 4 tires to match. Are thenMichelins SS available actually made this year? Are they all the same? If not I think PSC2 for me.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    Alabama/Tennessee
    I'm going from PSS to R888R next week. Thanks JonB
    You can teach a dog to fetch, therefore you teach a potato to dance! “Amazingly Bad Analogy”

Recent Dates..... I think fronts are 2019, rears 2018.

Note: OE STORED, NEVER INFLATED, only matters 2% per year of traction loss. Big Worry over NADA.

Once you inflate and heat cycle, the decomp really begins.....