Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    Web Site Committee

Need help with getting something fixed

So I was out and about yesterday in the RT/10 and I had stopped to take some pictures of the car. As I was walking around the car I noticed this

ACA2F6DC-13F0-4D4D-AC8C-1990964FD042.jpg

It looks like the grommet separated from the windshield. Has anyone had to fix this before? What did you do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    '01 Sapphire RT/10. '08 Snakeskin Green Vert. "H" spokes, Grey/Black interior, Graphite bezels, NAV, Full Belanger exhaust w/ Hi-Flows, ARROW PCM and Quaife rear end with 3.55's. http://www.westernreservevipers.com

Enthusiast
    Re-glue it with epoxy.
    /''[ ]''|[___|___]
    [---T-- L -OlllllllO-]
    ()_)"""()_)/''''''''''\)_)

Banned
    ^^^^this^^^^

Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    Web Site Committee
    Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    Re-glue it with epoxy.
    Forgive my ignorance but is there a specific type of epoxy that I should use? Is there a way to strip out the old glue/epoxy? Is that even necessary?
    '01 Sapphire RT/10. '08 Snakeskin Green Vert. "H" spokes, Grey/Black interior, Graphite bezels, NAV, Full Belanger exhaust w/ Hi-Flows, ARROW PCM and Quaife rear end with 3.55's. http://www.westernreservevipers.com

Enthusiast
    The piece that came off is likely polypropylene. Difficult to bond that material. But you can do the following and it will work.

Put the piece back on and while holding it in place mark around it with a white grease pencil.

Tape off around the outside of your mark to protect the car.

Using some 240 - 320 grit sandpaper scuff both the windshield frame and the bottom side of the plastic piece.

Clean all surfaces with rubbing alcohol and a clean cloth.

Get some JB Weld plastic bonder. Comes in black or tan. I'd use the black.

Mix up enough to do the job, apply it to one or both surfaces, then place the part. If it won't stay put use some small pieces of tape to secure it. Use a small plastic scraper or spatula to clean off any excess if it oozes out. You can do that before it cures. Working time in cooler weather like 80s is about 20 minutes. Warm weather like 100+ you may only get 10 minutes.

Allow to set overnight before disturbing it.
    /''[ ]''|[___|___]
    [---T-- L -OlllllllO-]
    ()_)"""()_)/''''''''''\)_)

Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    Web Site Committee
    Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    The piece that came off is likely polypropylene. Difficult to bond that material. But you can do the following and it will work.

Put the piece back on and while holding it in place mark around it with a white grease pencil.

Tape off around the outside of your mark to protect the car.

Using some 240 - 320 grit sandpaper scuff both the windshield frame and the bottom side of the plastic piece.

Clean all surfaces with rubbing alcohol and a clean cloth.

Get some JB Weld plastic bonder. Comes in black or tan. I'd use the black.

Mix up enough to do the job, apply it to one or both surfaces, then place the part. If it won't stay put use some small pieces of tape to secure it. Use a small plastic scraper or spatula to clean off any excess if it oozes out. You can do that before it cures. Working time in cooler weather like 80s is about 20 minutes. Warm weather like 100+ you may only get 10 minutes.

Allow to set overnight before disturbing it.

Thanks Dave!

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    What He Said, except I use JonB Weld
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    Web Site Committee
    Reviving an old thread as I finally got around to doing this. Followed the steps above outlined by dave6666. Worked great! Grommet reattached and not driving me nuts anymore. Thanks for the help!