Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Yeah definitely not porting my own heads...sent mine out as a core exchange once I got these from RSI/their head porter.
    2013 GTS - Self Installed Heads/Valvetrain/Cam/Custom Exhaust. Triple carbon clutch and built tr6060.

When is it getting tuned?
    2013 Shadow Pearl Blue - Black Stripes GTS | Sold - 97 GTS 510 TT |
    CALVO MOTORSPORTS H/C - PALM BEACH DYNO TUNED |

I'm not entirely sure as I have to drive 5 hours each way if I want to work on my car. So right now it just depends when I'm up for the drive on a weekend to do that. I'm anticipating no later than the end of March it should be all wrapped up.
    2013 GTS - Self Installed Heads/Valvetrain/Cam/Custom Exhaust. Triple carbon clutch and built tr6060.

Great write up and thanks for sharing! I'm coming up to 6yrs with Belangers and AC Performance tune. I only drive my car once or twice a month and my V seems to get slower as I'm getting used to to the HP. This is definitely, my next move. I will have to run hi-flows though. CA emissions suck. Good Luck

Did rsi have many options for cams-what was the costs for each

Quote Originally Posted by cashcorn View Post
    Great write up and thanks for sharing! I'm coming up to 6yrs with Belangers and AC Performance tune. I only drive my car once or twice a month and my V seems to get slower as I'm getting used to to the HP. This is definitely, my next move. I will have to run hi-flows though. CA emissions suck. Good Luck
    Thanks, I'm pretty excited to get it all wrapped up soon. If you're buying parts and doing the install yourself, feel free to reach out if you ever have questions. I know Will at RSI would say the same. He has been extremely helpful. If you end up buying parts through him, tell him Erikkson sent you and he should be able to strike a fair deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper79 View Post
    Did rsi have many options for cams-what was the costs for each
    I know he's spec'd out at least a NA and a turbo cam for Gen Vs. Throughout this whole process I've had a handful of people share what Gen V cam cards they have from viper shops that have sold them their spec'd cams. The NA one he spec'd out for me is pretty aggressive in comparisons to other shops. The same cam in his h/c package put down 720 whp so it's definitely rowdy enough. I just told him what I wanted as far as performance and he had it made to meet my desires. He has his cams made from one of the, if not the best cam manufacturer in the US too.

Looking forward to seeing how the clutch works out. At some point my stocker will give up the ghost. I had a Roe710R cam and loved the lumpy idle but great drivability. It was pretty aggressive but perfect IMHOP. I wish I could get a similar cam in my G5 as that cam rocked NA and with my Paxton. 710R + Paxton was a match made in heaven.

I wonder how the drag pack car they put the viper motor in- how that cam is?

Timing cover on. RSI oil cooler lines installed. Oil cooler lines were fairly easy to install with the oil pan off. With the oil pan on, I imagine getting to the block/timing cover oil bungs would be a lot harder. I used a thin adjustable wrench to access the block bung. The rest are easy to get to.
    0.jpg
    1.jpg
    I replaced my input shaft bearing since my local "viper mechanic" ruined my old one and never replaced it. To pull the old one out, I stuffed the hole with bread/wax paper/grease and tapped on a bolt that fit the inner diameter. This pushed the old roller bearing out. I put the new one in by freezing it then tapping it in with a dowel/hammer. It went in with minimal resistance.
    2.jpg
    Nth moto triple disc clutch install went in without much of a hitch. Follow the directions on the gen IV Nth Carbon Clutch install thread (https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...o-Gen-4-Clutch). I did not do anything differently except for 1) To center the mopar alignment shaft in the hole, I used a socket to split the difference in the gap and act as a spacer to hold it right in the middle. Thank you Aaron at Nth for the tip.
    d3.jpg
    4.jpg
    Oil pan is installed. Put the gasket on the pan first if you're doing it with the engine in the car.
    Last edited by SLP; 02-24-2020 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Nth moto triple disc clutch install went in without much of a hitch. Follow the directions on the gen IV Nth Carbon Clutch install thread. I did not do anything differently except for 1) To center the mopar alignment shaft in the hole, I used a socket to split the difference in the gap and act as a spacer to hold it right in the middle. Thank you Aaron at Nth for the tip.
    That's an awesome tip...that would have saved me a lot of time and aggravation, especially since I did it on my back with jack stands. I'm going to link to this post in that thread to hopefully save others time as well.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.04 @ 129.7, 1.81 60' (-100 ft DA, w/ 3.55s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    That's an awesome tip...that would have saved me a lot of time and aggravation, especially since I did it on my back with jack stands. I'm going to link to this post in that thread to hopefully save others time as well.
    A plastic doughnut would be pretty easy to machine.
    Self tuned HPT 10.85@130 mph (DA=+1000)
    [B]Arrow Heads & Cam - best run is coming
    (Sold) 1997 Red/White -10.9/129 MPH

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    Thanks for your original thread, it was very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    A plastic doughnut would be pretty easy to machine.
    Agreed, a doughnut or cone of some sort would also work.

Transmission Install:
    Don't lose a bolt like I did. The transmission to bellhousing bolts are a strange metric size so I had to order OEM. Transmission went in smooth with some patience. Take it in steps:
    1) Loosen the engine mounts and tilt the rear of the engine down.
    2) Match the angle with the transmission on your transmission jack (an unmodified HarborJunk transmission jack worked perfectly for me).
    3) Raise and slide the transmission in.
    4) If the transmission input shaft does not go in smooth, temporarily install the driveshaft into the trans output shaft to turn the input shaft so the teeth line up with the clutch. Once the input shaft teeth line up with the clutch teeth, you wont be able to easily rotate the driveshaft anymore so go ahead and push the transmission in. Watch the transmission/bellhousing angles and make sure the gap is even.
    5) Install the shifter and plugs with the transmission/engine angled down. It's way easier than when it's all the way up in the tunnel.
    TKO Transmission Mount:
    If you use a TKO transmission mount, their instructions tell you that the two center bolts should be torqued to 40ftlbs. Don't do this as it will severely deform and squish the urethane layer out. I emailed TKO and they said to bolt it down until it just starts to squish/deform. For me it started to squish/deform at 20ftlbs so I put some locktite on them and torqued to 20ftlbs. I have no idea why their instructions say to torque to 40ft/lbs when it deforms at not even close to that point.
    Driveshaft:
    Install like any other driveshaft. Line up your balancing/orientation marks and install with new straps/hardware (Spicer 3-70-48X Bearing Strap Kit). a short 8mm socket is nice to have here. I had to use a small universal joint though as the driveshaft body blocks a clear line of sight to the bolt heads for torquing.
    Transmission.jpg
    Last edited by SLP; 03-09-2020 at 12:40 PM.

Single piece chromoly push rods and stock rocker arms installed
    Pushrods.jpg
    Push Rods 2 - Installed.jpg
    Rocker Arms.jpg
    Intake manifold installed. Install the fuel rails first as they have a solid hose bridging the two underneath the intake manifold.
    Intake Manifold.jpg
    Headers installed. It's so much easier to work on this car once you have already had practice doing something (e.g., installing headers). If I were to do this whole project again, I would reckon that it would take half the time. Very easy car to work on!

Nice write-up, for future reference, rotating the rear wheels/diff stub will allow an unobstructed access to the universal joint bolts with a ratchet/extension. there are also multiple references (oem manuals) to the torque value on the universal bolts, the required torque is 28 ft lbs.

Ah good tip, I didn't think about extending it with a long extension. I just went with a short socket and a universal joint.

Yep definitely installed to torque...like all the bolts. I hope it goes without saying but torque values matter. If you're considering working on your viper and don't have a shop manual, buy one.

Ah good tip, I didn't think about extending it with a long extension. I just went with a short socket and a universal joint.

Yep definitely installed to torque...like all the bolts. I hope it goes without saying but torque values matter. If you're considering working on your viper and don't have a shop manual, buy one.
    Another trick, leave the trans in neutral, you can still turn the input shaft by turning the tail shaft stub by hand.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Central North Florida
    Such a great read! Looking forward to hearing this thing. Who will be doing the tunin?
    Ryan - 14 Stryker Green Nth Moto Heads/Cam
    Past - 14 Stryker Green VE Stage II Heads/Cam, '16 ACR-E, '14 Anodized Carbon, '14 TA, Orange '03 Paxton vert w/coupe rear, Black '06 coupe w/SSG accents

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    New England
    Great job and great thread

Tuning later today!
    00.jpg
    0.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.jpg

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    Sounds nice!
    2014 GTS Yellow & White ( 1of 1 color scheme) -87 GN -87 Ford Mustang GT 2006 AMG E55
    2003 SRT 10 - 2016 PCP Hellcat Charger 9.58@142.94 (blower only record holder)
    2014 300 SRT 8 ( love this thing)

This car is insane. Took it out and set off a neighbors car alarm just backing out of the driveway. I have decided to add another 12" muffler on each side. It drives really really smooth above 2k rpms. Tuner is smoothing out the lower ranges then once that's sorted, WOT logging!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHPky_vvTa8
    Last edited by SLP; 03-27-2020 at 09:16 PM.

i can't play the video at work, what kind of power did you make?

Enthusiast
    This car is insane. Took it out and set off a neighbors car alarm just backing out of the driveway. I have decided to add another 12" muffler on each side. It drives really really smooth above 2k rpms. Tuner is smoothing out the lower ranges then once that's sorted, WOT logging!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHPky_vvTa8
    That idle alone is worth the effort you put in to it.....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast