Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Gen V Self Install Heads Cam Valvetrain Transmission Clutch

Background:
    I have always dreamed about owning a high performance car and when I was finally able to, I made the decision that I wanted to own a performance car that I could work on with my dad. I only get to work on my car sporadically due to work travel so there will not be consistent updates.

Table of Contents:
    Removing Heads (Page 1)
    Removing Camshaft (Page 2, 3)
    Installing Camshaft/Valvetrain (Page 3)
    Installing Heads (Page 3)
    Custom Exhaust (Page 3)
    Installing Pilot Bearing(Page 4)
    Installing Nth Moto Carbon Triple Disc Clutch (Page 4)
    Installing Built Transmission (Page 4)
    Tuning (Page _)

Part 1:
    Experience so far: This is the easiest car that I have ever worked on. Everything is accessible, is organized in a logical manner, and is robust. Getting to the heads was fairly straight forward. I only had to reference the shop manual a few times. It looks like my car was running rich from stock (21K miles). The only mods prior to cylinder head disassembly were Belanger headers.

.4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg0.jpg
    Last edited by SLP; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:24 PM.
    2013 GTS - Self Installed Heads/Valvetrain/Cam/Custom Exhaust. Triple carbon clutch and built tr6060.

Well done sir.
    09 ACR With all the goodies
    99 ACR TT 99 red RT/10 Roe S/C
    97 B/W RT/10 TT 94 RT/10 TT

Enthusiast
    Where'd you get an aftermarket cam from?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Awesome dude! Are you installing new ported heads etc? Whose?
    2013 caged 803whp 9.0 liter, 2016 ACR, 1996 GTS, 2001 RT/10, 2003 SRT/10, 2018 McLaren 720s, 2020 G63, 2005 Ford GT, 2019 Megacab Dually

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    Awesome dude! Are you installing new ported heads etc? Whose?
    Ported heads with enlarged valves and better springs/retainers, lifters, and push rods. I'm debating between roller rocker arms or leaving the stock ones. All the viper shops seem to leave stock rocker arms in their heads/cam packages.
    2013 GTS - Self Installed Heads/Valvetrain/Cam/Custom Exhaust. Triple carbon clutch and built tr6060.

Who makes rockers for these? Jesel or TD? I would go aftermarket if you can get Jesel or TD's. I thought that I remember reading about the factory rockers coming apart spreading needle bearings throughout the engine.

Regional Director
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen5snake View Post
    Who makes rockers for these? Jesel or TD? I would go aftermarket if you can get Jesel or TD's. I thought that I remember reading about the factory rockers coming apart spreading needle bearings throughout the engine.
    Some use the factory rockers , remove the needle bearings and have a bushing installed . Seems to be a solid fix .
    White Mamba ,

Quote Originally Posted by J TNT View Post
    Some use the factory rockers , remove the needle bearings and have a bushing installed . Seems to be a solid fix .
    Yeah I think calvo does that. I assume a lot of companies can/do make rockers for these cars. The heads likely need to be machined to accept them though. The rocker arm seats have a concave curve from factory as seen in picture #5 which may or may not be compatible with other rockers.
    Last edited by SLP; 10-01-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J TNT View Post
    I have a set of Isky Red Zone EZ-Roll solid lifters in one of my setups and the solid bushing is a solid fix. Good to know they can do this on the factory rockers.

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Yeah I think calvo does that. I assume a lot of companies can/do make rockers for these cars. The heads likely need to be machined to accept them though. The rocker arm seats have a concave curve from factory as seen in picture #5 which may or may not be compatible with other rockers.
    I saw that Jesel makes them for a Gen 4. Don't know if any machining has to be done, but good to know they can install solid bushings in the factory rollers...This way you can maintain proper valve-train geometry. Who did or is going to do the port/valve work? Thanks for posting this...great thread!

I see the oil stocked up, extra SRT hood and miscellaneous long block in corner of your garage. Perfect! We're all alike..
    Last edited by Gen5snake; 10-01-2019 at 03:06 PM.

I ended up reaching out to Jesel and yes, they make roller rockers for gen v ($2100). Rocker seats on the heads do need to be machined in a certain way.

Here's another option:
    Rocker Upgrade.jpg

Enthusiast
    Nice! Good luck with the build

Where did you get the SRT hood? Good luck with your build.
    2015 Competition Blue with Graphite Stripes
    Pilot of Comp Coupe Chassis #4 and Chassis # 120

Quote Originally Posted by Fulltilt View Post
    Where did you get the SRT hood? Good luck with your build.

I bought it used (cracked in two locations) on ebay. I will be cutting louvers into it and will pay an aeronautical composites company to fix the small cracks sometime in the spring or summer. I like to stockpile rare and discounted car parts. It sure is an expensive habit though.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    Northern California
    I bought it used (cracked in two locations) on ebay. I will be cutting louvers into it and will pay an aeronautical composites company to fix the small cracks sometime in the spring or summer. I like to stockpile rare and discounted car parts. It sure is an expensive habit though.
    Very cool! Are you cutting the louvers yourself? If so, there are carbon fiber repair kits. You may be able to repair the carbon yourself. Just a thought, save some $$$.
    Northern CA VOA Operations Director ****** 2014 SRT Viper - Full APR Aero - BC Racing Coil Overs - Forgeline GA3R-6 - and the list goes on...
    @acr_ish and @fivehundrednorth (dot com) on IG

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    Northern California
    I ended up reaching out to Jesel and yes, they make roller rockers for gen v ($2100). Rocker seats on the heads do need to be machined in a certain way.

Here's another option:
    Rocker Upgrade.jpg
    That's an extremely affordable option! They come with C-Clips so I assume they can be installed without being pressed-in?
    Northern CA VOA Operations Director ****** 2014 SRT Viper - Full APR Aero - BC Racing Coil Overs - Forgeline GA3R-6 - and the list goes on...
    @acr_ish and @fivehundrednorth (dot com) on IG

SLP - To lift or not to lift? I've read that it was "quicker" to remove the engine from the car to do the heads/cam. What are your thoughts now that you're doing the job with the engine in car?

SLP - To lift or not to lift? I've read that it was "quicker" to remove the engine from the car to do the heads/cam. What are your thoughts now that you're doing the job with the engine in car?
    I had a 36 hour window to pull the heads off before I had to leave for my next work contract so I decided to not spend time clearing out more garage space and setting up my cherry picker/engine stand. So far it hasn't been an issue because the engine bay has a ton of room, especially in the front. If it is an issue down the road, I can still pull it out. The trans, engine, heads etc are all so easily accessible. The headers are probably the "hardest" component to get to.
    Last edited by SLP; 10-04-2019 at 10:04 AM.

need cams and partial valvetrain parts

Not sure if you or anyone would need this but I have an Arrow/Prefix Stage 2 cam, valve-springs, retainers and push-rods with other various Valve-train component MINUS the actual Valves. I just took it out of my motor to go from a NA built to a turbo build. If you or anyone have any questions, please message me if you are interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ViperDai; 10-04-2019 at 10:06 AM.

I had a 36 hour window to pull the heads off before I had to leave for my next work contract so I decided to not spend time clearing out more garage space and setting up my cherry picker/engine stand. So far it hasn't been an issue because the engine bay has a ton of room, especially in the front. If it is an issue down the road, I can still pull it out. The trans, engine, heads etc are all so easily accessible. The headers are probably the "hardest" component to get to.
    I would have taken your route, keeping it it. If I had unlimited space and a nice lift, maybe I would have pulled the engine. I wonder how easy it will be to remove/install the cam. Seems like we have plenty of room.

I would have taken your route, keeping it it. If I had unlimited space and a nice lift, maybe I would have pulled the engine. I wonder how easy it will be to remove/install the cam. Seems like we have plenty of room.
    The shop manual recommends just tilting the engine but it really doesn't seem like a big deal to unbolt trans/pull the engine. Either way probably works just fine.

Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Central North Florida
    I have also experienced the Viper to be very very easy to work on. Probably the easiest vehicle i've ever worked on.

Nice work!
    2013 Viper GTS Blue (no stripes!) with Sepia interior- only 4 made! WannaGOfast 1/2 MILE BEST OF 157.89 mph @ 600WHP
    2005 SRT10 Ram- lowered, T56 conversion, B&B longtubes, many other upgrades (my daily)
    1969 Mustang Fastback- 1973 Lincoln Mark IV- 1999 Avenger 3.8L - 2005 Mustang GT

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    Stop talking about how easy it is, all these shops are going to start feeling guilty for their Viper tax! Lol

Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Central North Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Stop talking about how easy it is, all these shops are going to start feeling guilty for their Viper tax! Lol
    It IS easy! Most probably don't have the confidence.
    2013 Viper GTS Blue (no stripes!) with Sepia interior- only 4 made! WannaGOfast 1/2 MILE BEST OF 157.89 mph @ 600WHP
    2005 SRT10 Ram- lowered, T56 conversion, B&B longtubes, many other upgrades (my daily)
    1969 Mustang Fastback- 1973 Lincoln Mark IV- 1999 Avenger 3.8L - 2005 Mustang GT

Love this thread, congrats again OP. So is there a complete heads/cam package setup other there us DIY'ers can pruchase. Personally, I think its crazy to spend 20k for an extra 100 rwhp, yes Viper tax is strong lately.
    2014 GTS

Enthusiast
    Not sure where you're getting your numbers but heads and cam installed can be found for a much more reasonable prices by a number of the top shops

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast