Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yes it does correct the polarity issue. With the current wasted spark common coil now, one plug fires correctly from the center electrode to the base and the other fires from the base to the electrode. Hence the polarity issue. The small resistance in the non compression cylinder dos not stress the coil very much compared to the high resistance in the compressed cylinder.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramtuff View Post
    Yes it does correct the polarity issue. With the current wasted spark common coil now, one plug fires correctly from the center electrode to the base and the other fires from the base to the electrode. Hence the polarity issue. The small resistance in the non compression cylinder dos not stress the coil very much compared to the high resistance in the compressed cylinder.
    Yes...but the COP is going to do the exact same thing as I understand the OEM circuity. I've never heard or read about polarity reversals in wasted spark systems....just that the no compression firing doesn't stress the coil or plug too much (not hard to jump a gap in a no compression environment). I've never read about polarity reversal from the ground to electrode and vice versa depending on cylinder pressure. If true, I find that interesting. Not that a polarity swap results in anything "bad",,,so to speak. My overall point is that the COP is still going to fire every 360 degrees of rotation. THAT is the issue to solve....not just installing COP for the sake of being different.

Ii8F9.png

This may help explain the polarity issue.

Enthusiast
    Yup. Picture helps a lot. I think I get it now.

Tech Team

Supporting Vendor
    Basically, COP is good. Correct polarity on all cylinders, and even spark energy. *THAT* is the major issue. With the OE setup, one plug has X feet of high impedance plug wire to travel through, the other has double that... AND reverse polarity to deal with. The wasted spark aspect itself doesn't mean a lot on a low RPM engine. The only time that this would be a major issue was if the engine was spinning so fast that you didn't have enough time to charge the coil twice per cycle and needed the extra time.

All that said... its the implementation that is the problem here, and the risk to the PCM.
    Dan Lesser
    Viper Specialty Performance
    www.ViperSpecialty.com
    (716) 912-5336

VOA Tech Team

I think this is a great idea. Yanking the intake mani on a Gen3 just to change wires is such a $&@

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12