Last Track Day of the Year

Brrrrrr.

I loaded up Friday night, and headed out Saturday morning about 4:45 AM. Temperature was a brisk 30 degrees.

Made it to the track and got unloaded. Attended the driver's meeting and felt like I was standing on the Arctic Tundra (exaggerated, but it was cold). First session was at 8:30am. Sitting on the grid I turned the heat on as I couldn't quit shivering.

In NASA Central the HPDE 4's run on track with the 3s. A 2.5 mile track gets eaten up pretty quickly with 36 cars. First session was rough. I usually run 1:50-1:51s, and the best I could muster was a 2:02 (definitely being conservative because of the cold). A few cars found their way in to the wall, with two sustaining major damage and another just some body work.

TKO's Max Throttle kit is the real deal. I caught myself several times feeling the back end slide out because I was WOT (like I normally did at that point in the track) but since it kicked on so much quicker the back end was a little loose. After a few laps I got it figured out, for the most part. Since my last trip to the track, I installed:

1. Tillet Seats
    2. 3.55 Rear End
    3. TKO Max Throttle

All were a huge improvement. I need to adjust the front of the driver seat down a notch, after 10-12 minutes my legs started going numb (too much of an angle), I knew I was a little aggressive with it. The 3.55 rear end is amazing. 90% of the track it helped a lot...10% of it, I need to grab another gear... (turns 5 to 6 I max out 2nd about 20 feet too early...the front straight I max out 4th about 50 feet too early...and 7 to 8 I max out 4th about 35 feet too early).

In the later sessions after the track and tires were warmed up, I did muster a 1:51.8 which proved to be the fastest of the day for me, but unfortunately my Garmin Virb's battery died in the middle of that session, best I had on camera was a 1:54.4 with traffic.

Looking forward to next season! I'm done doing things to my car, as I'm EXTREMELY happy with it now (except maybe some Forgeline GTD-1s....), so now I just need to work on that driver mod! I can easily get in the mid 1:40s at Heartland Park, and hope to do it next year!

[All critiques accepted!]

20191018_154412.jpg

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Southern California
    Cobra, nice!! That track looks fun and lots of runoff. Were is it? Funny you say last event of the year. We're starting to get back out since the desert is cooling.

Hopefully you noticed your viper was making a ton of power in the cool air!!. I do not know that track but I would say that at most tracks vipers work better with the stock 3:07 set up. The 3:55 is great for the street but at the track I always found I ran our of RPM and had to short shift too much, or, have to use 5th.

Comments to the video, short shift and stay off the rev limiter, trust your aero more in the sweepers!!
    1994 Red/Tan RT/10, '99 red ACR- sold, '06 Red/Silver Coupe-RIP, '06 Red/Silver Coupe - Sold, '08 Red/Silver ACR-C sold, 2006 Comp Coupe C-92

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Gorgeous ACR dude! What track was this? If you mentioned the name I didn't see it!
    2013 caged 803whp 9.0 liter, 2016 ACR, 1996 GTS, 2001 RT/10, 2003 SRT/10, 2018 AMG GTR, 2020 G63, 2005 Ford GT, 2019 Megacab Dually

Quote Originally Posted by RedTanRT/10 View Post
    Cobra, nice!! That track looks fun and lots of runoff. Were is it? Funny you say last event of the year. We're starting to get back out since the desert is cooling.

Hopefully you noticed your viper was making a ton of power in the cool air!!. I do not know that track but I would say that at most tracks vipers work better with the stock 3:07 set up. The 3:55 is great for the street but at the track I always found I ran our of RPM and had to short shift too much, or, have to use 5th.

Comments to the video, short shift and stay off the rev limiter, trust your aero more in the sweepers!!
    Heartland Park in Topeka, KS. They just repaved it about 5 years ago...smoothest track I've ever been on. There's starting to be a considerable dip going in to the chicane on the back which is unfortunate, because it's about where you get on the brakes hard and downshift, so the bouncing around is slightly unnerving at points.

I know I know... first big aero car, so the sweepers still are beating me!

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    Gorgeous ACR dude! What track was this? If you mentioned the name I didn't see it!
    Heartland Park in Topeka, KS. It's a blast to drive. 2.5 miles of the smoothest asphalt I've been on. Typically it's really sticky as well, but with the cold weather it never quite got up to the 'norm'.

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Southern California
    Love to get there some day!! Have a pro drive your car with you in the passenger seat, or go for a ride in an aero car with a pro. There is so much more aero grip, when you see how fast you can go you will be amazed!! Plus there at Heartland it looks very forgiving off track if you were to spin!!

Or, come to wherever AZ is running, you'll shit your pants but at the same time you'll see how much grip you really have!!!!
    1994 Red/Tan RT/10, '99 red ACR- sold, '06 Red/Silver Coupe-RIP, '06 Red/Silver Coupe - Sold, '08 Red/Silver ACR-C sold, 2006 Comp Coupe C-92

Quote Originally Posted by RedTanRT/10 View Post
    Love to get there some day!! Have a pro drive your car with you in the passenger seat, or go for a ride in an aero car with a pro. There is so much more aero grip, when you see how fast you can go you will be amazed!! Plus there at Heartland it looks very forgiving off track if you were to spin!!

Or, come to wherever AZ is running, you'll shit your pants but at the same time you'll see how much grip you really have!!!!
    I know I know... I rode in a Radical a few weeks ago out there, but it obviously didn't have the power.

A lot of the guys around here that have big horsepower/big aero cars, don't have passenger seats haha I'll probably sucker someone in to giving me a ride in my own car next spring.
    Last edited by 13COBRA; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:10 PM.

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Crossroads of America

COBRA, view from behind. Not very good quality video, but I mainly use for the lap timer. I had just installed the max throttle as well. I have no history at this track, but I definitely can tell the difference in throttle response. I managed a 1.53 later in the day.

2014 Viper T/A #11

Quote Originally Posted by Ogme042 View Post
    COBRA, view from behind. Not very good quality video, but I mainly use for the lap timer. I had just installed the max throttle as well. I have no history at this track, but I definitely can tell the difference in throttle response. I managed a 1.53 later in the day.

It was very nice meeting you! Glad you made the trek down!

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Central California
    Thanks for sharing guys.

Cobra: That V10 was screaming, love the crisp sound of the beast..!

Quote Originally Posted by Exhlr8n View Post
    Thanks for sharing guys.

Cobra: That V10 was screaming, love the crisp sound of the beast..!
    Thanks! Realistically, it's borderline too loud. Luckily there isn't a decibel limit at Heartland haha
    Last edited by 13COBRA; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:42 AM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

Actually Nick , just a minor dispute on your gearing ( 3.55s ), as it works fine at Heartland ( had the same set -up on mine) and had run it with both the original gearing and the 3.55s . With some of the tight corners the 3.55s bite hard and get you out of the hole better, and giving it up or short shifting on the straights is a minor concern. They only repaved the track a couple of years ago and it is the smoothest slab of asphalt in the Midwest , I concur, as we often joke that the tires look better after we leave than when we got there, ha,ha. Need to get you to move up to Time Trials next year , as you and Gary Bates were running similar times at HMP, with Dan Gordon a second or two quicker , so solid competition for all of you to push each other. Of course , Mark Kirby in his insane Comp Coupe is on another Planet , so no chance there , as I think he may have set the all time Unlimited Track Record this past weekend. Ran my best times this weekend, so looking forward to hitting Topeka next year and we need to coax some guys in the Midwest to come down and play with our NASA group ---- this is a track Vipers love, but more importantly so do their tires!!
    Concierge Coordinator for Luxury and Performance Vehicles within the Woodhouse Auto Family ( now 19 Stores )

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    Actually Nick , just a minor dispute on your gearing ( 3.55s ), as it works fine at Heartland ( had the same set -up on mine) and had run it with both the original gearing and the 3.55s . With some of the tight corners the 3.55s bite hard and get you out of the hole better, and giving it up or short shifting on the straights is a minor concern. They only repaved the track a couple of years ago and it is the smoothest slab of asphalt in the Midwest , I concur, as we often joke that the tires look better after we leave than when we got there, ha,ha. Need to get you to move up to Time Trials next year , as you and Gary Bates were running similar times at HMP, with Dan Gordon a second or two quicker , so solid competition for all of you to push each other. Of course , Mark Kirby in his insane Comp Coupe is on another Planet , so no chance there , as I think he may have set the all time Unlimited Track Record this past weekend. Ran my best times this weekend, so looking forward to hitting Topeka next year and we need to coax some guys in the Midwest to come down and play with our NASA group ---- this is a track Vipers love, but more importantly so do their tires!!
    Hey Bill! Pleasure to see you as always.

My transponder will be getting installed next week, and I'm definitely moving up to TT next year. If nothing else, just to get a little more consistent of a pace!

Mark Kirby is an absolute machine. I wasn't able to hang around on Sunday, but I heard he ran a few 1:39s! That's nuts.

I agree, Heartland, has the nicest asphalt within 3-4 states. They did a really good job on it, and it's only getting faster!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

With the engine work on that beast and the fact he has been in a Viper on track since around 1998 ( if I remember correctly ), the man is insane. I am hoping he shows up at the Viper Rendezvous in 2020 , as Bob Woodhouse set the fastest track record for a closed door car this year , and with Mark and he both running it might drop farther? Of course Keith Anderson and Ted Hughes may have something to say about it , as both of them have held that record over the years ----- it would be a thrill just to watch those 4 guys slither around the Hastings Track in 2020!!!
    Concierge Coordinator for Luxury and Performance Vehicles within the Woodhouse Auto Family ( now 19 Stores )

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    With the engine work on that beast and the fact he has been in a Viper on track since around 1998 ( if I remember correctly ), the man is insane. I am hoping he shows up at the Viper Rendezvous in 2020 , as Bob Woodhouse set the fastest track record for a closed door car this year , and with Mark and he both running it might drop farther? Of course Keith Anderson and Ted Hughes may have something to say about it , as both of them have held that record over the years ----- it would be a thrill just to watch those 4 guys slither around the Hastings Track in 2020!!!
    I agree! I need a new job. The same weekend as the Viper event, we're always out of town for our yearly out of state convention.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

Time to reschedule that convention --- just one week later would work, ha.;