Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regional Secretary
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida

Nurburgring Re Do or Local Events It s up to you

Good News Everybody: I’m happy to announce that Viper Nurburgring Record, the company that funded the effort to be the Ring King, has settled its litigation involving a car dealer who copied and used the copyrighted photographs without a license (definitely NOT Viper Exchange or BJ Motors). After a federal court judge ruled in VNR’s favor on its copyright infringement claims, we reached a favorable settlement in the amount of $280,000. After litigation expenses and taxes, the proceeds from the litigation will be approximately $100,000. Since I organized the original event for the Viper community, I want to use the money to benefit the Viper community. I am asking for your suggestions as to how to further the interests of Viper lovers with this money. Specifically, should VNR put the money towards funding another trip back to The Ring or use the money on local and regional Viper events across the country?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    That's interesting! In what respect did he use them for? Must've been pretty crazy to lose a $280k suit.

I saw this thread in two places, so here is what I wrote in the other:

Another trip back to the Ring would be awesome, but the weakest link is the shyte Kumho front tires so I won't expect much of difference in terms of them blowing out, etc. However, a sub 7 minute time would be a good one to have for posterity :-)

Enthusiast
    Russ, would 100k really be enough to revisit the attempt at the ring? Are the original ACR’s still available?
    Last edited by Murpowa; 11-05-2019 at 08:11 PM.

What cars would be used?
    2014 Carbon Edition GTS/TA #42 (1 of 10) Vengeance Racing H/C - SOLD
    2014 Orange TA #35 of 93 Vengeance Racing H/C - SOLD
    2014 Carbon Edition GTS - #7 of 35 cars made, Torrie Tuned - SOLD

Regional Secretary
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    No, $100,000 would not be enough. I would go back to the well and see if one of the previous sponsors or a private person wants to donate a car. If we set a sub 7:00 lap, it would make the car valuable for the person who donated it for the effort. If we could find enough sponsor financing without having to try the go fund me routine again, I'd consider it. Although it would create an asterisk, we'd have to consider running 18" wheels in the front to use different Kumhos or other tire solutions for that punishing track. If there isn't enough desire to see this happen, I'll donate the money to various Viper events throughout the country.

I'm sure Tomball has a Viper in their stable that could be used. They seem to have all sorts of
    Vipers that have some sort of race history. Have you checked with Ben ?
    1996 Nextel CupCar FS - Sold
    2003 Comp Coupe FS - Sold

id love to know which dealer it was that did that
    THE IGNORE FEATURE WORKS, TRY IT...

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by plumcrazy View Post
    id love to know which dealer it was that did that
    Sadly I got the other side of the story last night. Russ' first post is slightly misleading.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post
    Sadly I got the other side of the story last night. Russ' first post is slightly misleading.
    So Russ lied?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by 99RT10 View Post
    So Russ lied?
    I imagine the other side will be shared today, and everyone can make their own judgement.

VOA Member
    since 2019
    Georgia
    Here's the case https://casetext.com/case/viper-nurb...ins-motor-co-3

It would be very cool to see the viper crowned king at the Nurburgring but I think the funds would be much more appreciated in local events. Just my 2 cents.
    2014 GTS

Regional Secretary
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    Excuse me? Something I wrote was "misleading?" 13Cobra, please tell me what I said that was not 100% correct. You could ask "your friend" to see the court's rulings rather than just going with hearsay. I have worked this project thousands of hours, free of charge. I stood to lose money out of my own pocket if things didn't work out (if we came in over budget at The Ring). And now that we have settled the suit, I am giving all money won, to the Viper community. The point of this thread is to find out where everyone would like to see the money spent. It's not going into my pocket, so why would I say something that "is misleading?"

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Oasis View Post
    Excuse me? Something I wrote was "misleading?" 13Cobra, please tell me what I said that was not 100% correct. You could ask "your friend" to see the court's rulings rather than just going with hearsay. I have worked this project thousands of hours, free of charge. I stood to lose money out of my own pocket if things didn't work out (if we came in over budget at The Ring). And now that we have settled the suit, I am giving all money won, to the Viper community. The point of this thread is to find out where everyone would like to see the money spent. It's not going into my pocket, so why would I say something that "is misleading?"
    Easy killer.

I don't have a dog in the fight. I've spoken to Clay about as many times as you and I have spoken.

Simply stating that your beliefs and his beliefs are still very different on the events that transpired, the timeline, and what was discussed.

Frankly, I don't care one way or the other. I think with the $100k you ought to go bet on red in Vegas and it'll either fund the whole trip to the ring, or it won't.

ALSO: The legal record shows slightly different than Clay told me as well. It's easy to have emotions lead people to their truths, I get it. Everyone is guilty of it.

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    Northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Oasis View Post
    Specifically, should VNR put the money towards funding another trip back to The Ring or use the money on local and regional Viper events across the country?
    Let's go conquer THE RING! I like 13COBRA's idea to put it all on RED and fund the whole damned thing. We deserve a shot to show the world what an unaltered, uninterrupted, unmolested shot - FOR REAL - looks like!
    2014 SRT Viper w/ ACR Aero Conversion BC Racing Coil Overs - Forgeline GA3R-6 - and the list goes on... 2022 RAM TRX and 2005 SRT10 QC (for sale) Wrap, PPF and tints by @madd_wrapps (biz) IG

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    Western Reserve
    '95 RT/10 Yellow w/ Tan Interior - sold in 2008
    '97 GTS Blue w/ White Stripes, BB Headers, Borla Exhaust - sold in 2010
    '99 ACR Silver w/ Blue Stripes, ROE S/C

Ring again.... Break the 7.00 barrier.
    2017 SSG ACR SE- 2007 Jeep SRT8 2006 -Dodge SRT-10 QC -1978 Dodge Ramcharger 440 SE -1994 Mazda RX-7 Peripheral port turbo -1987 Mazda RX-7 3 rotor turbo- Dynojet 224 xlc

Back to the Ring!!

IIRC April has the least amount of rain when I looked up precipitation data during the last Ring attempt.

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Carolinas
    Ring or give away a car a nve
    98 GTS (sold)
    14 GTS (sold)
    06 coupe (sold)
    17 GTC

Reading between the lines, I think Russ wants to go back and is testing the waters to see who's up for giving the project more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy 18 View Post
    Reading between the lines, I think Russ wants to go back and is testing the waters to see who's up for giving the project more money.
    To what end? So it can end up in disappointment, litigation, and a further divided Viper community?

Seems like the lawyers got a pretty sweet deal though.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Man. | UDP | HPT | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    To what end? So it can end up in disappointment, litigation, and a further divided Viper community?

Seems like the lawyers got a pretty sweet deal though.
    Bingo.

Typically the only people who win in court are the attorneys.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Central North Florida

I don't see returning to the Ring as beneficial to the club beyond some bragging rights for a few. I would rather see the $100K put into a foundation, a 501 C not for profit organization and let's go do some good in the world with it. Maybe invest the original $100K, solicit donations from the Viper and car community and then take the annual returns and spend in in some worthwhile charities, something for kids, veterans, etc. That's something I'm sure a lot of us could get behind and support. We can do something that ties our appreciation for the Viper with supporting others, a weekend cruise pairing a veteran with a Viper owner that covers that veterans expenses for the weekend, a track day ride along and lunch for kids that are in need of escape from their everyday life due to health, or other issues. I would be on board with something like that and would put money into it to show my support, and I'm sure many other individuals and businesses would do the same, and it's tax deductible which helps. I could see decades from now that foundation having millions and supporting several annual events for those in need. That will not only make us proud as individuals but shows the world that the Viper Nation cares. That will bring nothing but positive feelings to all. Anyway that's my opinion on the money and I'm hopeful others feel this way also.

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    Central North Florida
    I think the money should be spread out amongst the Viper Clubs. Forget the ring, what is the point? The car is 3 model years old, it does nothing for the Viper community, and we know it can do it anyways so why waste the cash, especially when it won't cover the whole thing. I am all for bragging rights and all but it just doesn't make sense. That is something that FCA should cover as they are the ultimate beneficiaries if it posts a sub seven time, and they won't spend their money on it when they have tons more resources than we do.

Quote Originally Posted by DEMO MAN View Post
    I don't see returning to the Ring as beneficial to the club beyond some bragging rights for a few. I would rather see the $100K put into a foundation, a 501 C not for profit organization and let's go do some good in the world with it. Maybe invest the original $100K, solicit donations from the Viper and car community and then take the annual returns and spend in in some worthwhile charities, something for kids, veterans, etc. That's something I'm sure a lot of us could get behind and support. We can do something that ties our appreciation for the Viper with supporting others, a weekend cruise pairing a veteran with a Viper owner that covers that veterans expenses for the weekend, a track day ride along and lunch for kids that are in need of escape from their everyday life due to health, or other issues. I would be on board with something like that and would put money into it to show my support, and I'm sure many other individuals and businesses would do the same, and it's tax deductible which helps. I could see decades from now that foundation having millions and supporting several annual events for those in need. That will not only make us proud as individuals but shows the world that the Viper Nation cares. That will bring nothing but positive feelings to all. Anyway that's my opinion on the money and I'm hopeful others feel this way also.
    This guy gets it.

There is no honor in how this money was obtained, so at least use it for something good rather than just pissing it in the wind for something that few will notice or remember.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Man. | UDP | HPT | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast