VOA Member
    since 2016
    Houston

Question Strange Passenger Window Noise Rattle

My passenger side window has started making a strange noise when it's raised above 50%. Watch the video below to get a better idea (don't mind my neighbor's Pomeranian in the background).

Has anybody else encountered this problem before? I bought a "window regulator repair kit" and the DSE window boss kit in anticipation, but this appears to be a separate issue.
    '14 Black Viper SRT TA #14
    [Previous] '08 Black Viper SRT-10 Coupe

VOA Member
    since 2015
    North Texas
    sounds like gear teeth being overrun. Like the window motor is wearing on the teeth that move the glass up. Maybe the glass is in a bind causing this??
    2013 Adrenaline Red SRT Viper
    Track Pack, leather, red seat belts

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    NY/CT
    I had a much lighter rattle without moving the window itself, both window regulators were replaced and the problem went away.

VOA Member
    since 2019
    Georgia
    Does yours rattle when you leave the window partially down while driving? If so, I have the same problem. I bought the DSE window bosses thinking that was the cure but nope. I'm now thinking it's the regulators. The OEM window bosses were still trash though.
    2014 GTS

Mine made almost the same sound going up. Could have been the exact same but I never ran the window with the door panel off. If you grab the window how loose does it feel? Mine had a good bit of play/wobble when you grabbed the glass while window was up and the door open. Window boss's were cracked and one was gone. Installed the window boss kit and everything felt tight and snug. No play. The sound is 90% gone after that.

What I noticed is the silver metal bracket you see coming down on your video. That metal bracket had some metal on meal wear on the top left when it was hitting something on last little bit of travel. It was actually shaving mine to almost a knife edge. I took a Dremel and filed that down a little bit on the contact point and the sound is now 95% gone. Not sure if that was the exact problem, but installing that bosses will tighten up everything and that did seem to help. If you window feels loose, I think you are hearing the motor struggling with the play in the window.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    Mine was making a sound really similar to that - it's in the shop now and I'm still waiting for a diagnosis. If I hear for sure what it is, I'll post...

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Western Reserve
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Mine was making a sound really similar to that - it's in the shop now and I'm still waiting for a diagnosis. If I hear for sure what it is, I'll post...
    Just curious if the shop provided the final diagnosis. Regulator or window boss?

it's your window regulator just did mine , the plastic cable is cracked , look inside at the bend , you should see it is cracked.
    2016 ACR Stryker Purple With GTS Billet Stripes,,,, , 2014 White Grand Cherokee SRT-8 ,2019 Challenger, Plum Crazy Purple ,,, HELLCAT REDEYE,,,,, wide body on order !!!!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by mamba184 View Post
    Just curious if the shop provided the final diagnosis. Regulator or window boss?
    It was the regulator - replaced it, reprogrammed the window travel, and all is good for now.... On mine, they noted that the cable was worn, just like on Koolasp's car.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Western Reserve
    I guess I’ll try installing the repair kit. Thanks.

VOA Member
    since 2019
    Georgia
    Can someone provide a link or part number for the repair kit?
    2014 GTS

Quote Originally Posted by BSLSK View Post
    Can someone provide a link or part number for the repair kit?
    https://theviperstore.com/Viper5_Pro...Mechanical.htm. bottom of page is your fix.
    2016 ACR Stryker Purple With GTS Billet Stripes,,,, , 2014 White Grand Cherokee SRT-8 ,2019 Challenger, Plum Crazy Purple ,,, HELLCAT REDEYE,,,,, wide body on order !!!!

VOA Member
    since 2019
    Georgia
    Well looks like I do need to order the regulator repair kit. Finally got around to installing the DSE window boss kit and decided to check on the regulators while I was in there.

20200412_120020.jpg
    2014 GTS

Enthusiast
    Hey guys, the one thing that kills regulators is the closing of the door with the window half rolled down. When closing always leave the window fully up or all the way down. No in between stuff as this action takes them out. How do I know? I was guilty of this especially on the drivers side and sure enough the dreaded window hitting the roof line followed.

Quote Originally Posted by BSLSK View Post
    Well looks like I do need to order the regulator repair kit. Finally got around to installing the DSE window boss kit and decided to check on the regulators while I was in there.

20200412_120020.jpg

I repaired that on my Gen3 as it looks pretty much the same. I used epoxy and "glued" the plastic back together. I then bought "Fiber Tape" used to fix shovels and wrapped two layers around it. Worked fine for years until I sold it. While I was in there I also installed some DynoMat on the door and it made a much nicer THUD when closing...got a little more quite and the sound system just sounded a bit better. It's amazing what some sound deadening will do in the right places. Worth the extra 5lbs!

VOA Member
    since 2019
    Georgia
    Thanks for the info. I already ordered the kit so I will give that a go. I see the instructions are for a gen 4, is there a write up for a gen 5? I've done the DSE window bosses already but that didn't require removing the glass, so this makes me a little more nervous.
    2014 GTS