Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Tribute to the death of Orange TA 68

**UPDATE** Finally settled with insurance for a fair amount so the post and details are going back up as they were. The key is getting them to use fair comparables as they were trying to use base model cars for value comparison. I'm guessing most people on here would probably figure insurance would do that anyways. Insurance wanted $40k for buyback so I turned that down and the car will be at a co-part auction soon enough. Hopefully others can learn from my mistakes.

Hello everybody...
    It is with extreme heartbreak and shame that I fight back tears to write this post. On November 15th I totaled my best friend, Orange TA #68. It's taken me a while to actually write about it. I'd rather say something now instead of people seeing it on a tow truck or an auction in the coming months.

First off, I was pretty much entirely unscathed in the wreck and my girlfriend had a sore neck, bruises on her hips, and a laceration on her leg. We are both perfectly fine though.
    I've owned the car since April 2017 and put 32k miles on her. I was 23 when I bought the car with my life savings and i've loved it dearly ever since. The car was like a good friend and it has got me through a lot. This car was almost like a part of my personality and I finally have an amazing girlfriend to enjoy the car with me. Check this post out if you're interested in my story of buying the car and driving it home: https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...range-Viper-TA
    **Different girlfriend now**

Anyways, i'm definitely not the best driver but I have track day experience with the car and (not so proudly) lots of fast street driving. On November 14th I drove the car down to South Carolina with my girlfriend to visit a friend. I drove tail of the dragon with the TA in May 2019 and had a blast. I wanted to drive the road again when I was down there. I had a go-pro filming and my friend was cruising with me in his 2002 Trans-Am. It was about 55 degrees out and I had some brand new Pzero Corsa's installed. The road was mostly clear and hardly any traffic; I was driving too fast and too recklessly. After years of fast driving in the Viper and other cars, with no crashes and very few close calls, I thought I was invincible. Deep down I knew that i've been progressing with my confidence and driving too fast on public roads since nothing has knocked me down. No major tickets, no crashes, etc.. I didn't care, nothing has happened before and nothing will happen now, right?

About halfway through the dragon there was a dip in the road that came to a crest with a mild left turn on/after the crest. I was wide open in 2nd, somewhere around the 5800~6000rpm range going through the dip. I didn't realize how tall the crest was until it was too late. I was slightly turning left when I went over the crest (Around 80mph?) and the rear tires lost enough grip to slide and point the car about 45 degrees to the left. I corrected to the right but I was sliding so much and so fast that I experienced hard snap oversteer that was uncorrectable. The car slid hard right and backwards. The entire rear end smashed against a tree when traveling around 70mph and the car bounced up in the air, landed, and then spun 360 degrees before sliding into the ditch and hitting 3 trees on the driver side probably around 40mph. The car was only about 12ft off the road but the ditch went down more than 100ft off the road. The car was also off level to where the passenger side was much higher than the driver side. Traction control was full on the entire drive.

The car was totaled... I knew it. As I was spinning and waiting for the car to hit things, I was waiting to be knocked out and wake up somewhere. It never happened, and I entirely couldn't believe it but I was uninjured and fully functioning. My girlfriend was complaining of stomach pain and her seatbelt was extremely tight. I immediately focused on her and apologized more times than I could count and I still feel like it was not enough. She even told me I was going too fast about 30 seconds before I lost control and my response to her was don't worry, we will be fine. Yes, I know i'm a terrible person.
    Driver side airbag was deployed so the cabin was smokey. The horn was on and would not turn off. Bystanders screeching to a stop and car doors slamming as people ran over to check on us. It was a terrible time but I was so glad we were both not seriously injured. Both doors would not open due to being crunched or blocked. I climbed out of my open driver side window and noticed there was a small fire in the engine where the valve cover was cracked. I quickly got my panicked girlfriend out of the car and put the fire out with a water bottle before the situation became much worse.

There was no cell signal so somebody drove off to call 911. Lot of people stopped by to help and I was extremely appreciative. I tended to my girlfriend since we almost just died and I played with our lives like they didn't even matter. She was not in control of the reckless decision I made even though she spoke up and warned me. Then I wanted to mourn the loss of the car but I still couldn't fathom what I just did, and I also knew that mourning wouldn't make the situation any better right now. I had a bunch of tools and other belongings in the trunk that were scattered over hundreds of feet due to the trunk and even rear frame rail being entirely sheared off in the crash. My phone also flew out of the car at some point in the wreck. I spent the next hour and a half looking for my stuff and waiting for police to show up. EMS arrived almost 2 hours after the wreck and police about 3 hours after. The battery on the car had finally died and it was dark out.

The police officer was very nice and helpful and did not end up giving me a ticket since nobody was really injured in the crash. It took 2 tow trucks to pull the car off of the trees and I honestly cried when the bumper and hood were cracking and the car was being sort of ripped apart. The car was towed and I went back a few days later to get my shift knob and DSE catch can that were still good. I was able to get both doors to open, but every other part of the car is smashed in some way. It is amazing how well the car did it's job with protecting us during this violent wreck.

This has been a massive wake up call for me with the dangers of driving fast on public roads. I realize that I was entirely stupid, reckless, and irresponsible. I feel beyond terrible for also putting my girlfriend in danger and wrecking such a nice car. If the first tree I hit had been 4 feet farther towards the front of the car, I think I would be dead. I found some of my tools but lost at least $300 of stuff. Never found my phone either. The go-pro flew off and my girlfriend found it after 3 hours of searching. The wreck is recorded but I am not going to post it. Watching the video makes me anxious and sick to my stomach. I am absolutely going to learn from this and be a better and more responsible person. Insurance has determined the car is a total loss and i'm waiting on a settlement number. I am entirely expecting an offer that is not what the car would have been worth. If that is the case i'll probably make a post asking for advice to get what the car is worth. Insurance company is AAA.

For now i'm going to just take the settlement and mature for a while before buying another fast car. I was attached to my Viper and I don't think another Gen V or any Viper could replace it. It's been a blast everybody and and i'll still hang around the forums. But Orange TA #68 and her journey's across the continent are officially put to rest.

Humbly and shamefully,
    - Randy

20191118_141534.jpg

20191118_140501.jpg

20191118_141219.jpg

20191118_141431.jpg

20191118_141502.jpg
    Last edited by Jet Slicker; 01-27-2020 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Editing details
    -2014 Orange Viper TA #68/93: Arrow PCM/Full ARH exhaust with cats (Coated and wrapped)/DSE single sealed catch can/ DSE airbox heatshield/K&N air filter/18 speaker upgrade
    Previous: 2004 Subaru WRX premium in World Rally Blue fully STI swapped 530whp 520wtq

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    Good Lord. Thankfully you were both ok. Sorry you had to learn this lesson the hardest way possible. The car can ultimately be replaced but you and your girlfriend's life cannot be. Count your blessings that you are still able to write about this and as you've said, learn from it.
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

Damn man - so sorry to hear. I remember chatting with you a few times when you first got it. Happy to hear you both are ok. The TA is a special car but nothing is more special then your life.
    Current: 2016 GTC ACR-E (1 of 1) | 2019 Performante Spyder
    Past: 2015 650s | 2011 R8 V10 6MT | 2016 Charger Hellcat | 2014 Orange TA #55/93 | 2000 NSX CTSC - 1 of 44 | 97 B&W RT/10 - 1 of 53 | 2003 Z06

I wrecked an Orange 2006 Daytona sunset orange metallic C6 Corvette racing someone on a rainy freeway with bald tires. I feel your pain! I was 32 and that car was my identity. For guys the quickest way to get over a heartbreak is to replace it! Buy another viper ASAP! I’m glad you guys are ok!
    2020 Land Rover Defender Fuji White HSE P400 full explorer pack! 2020 SVO Range Rover Autobiography Spectral Blue Chromaflair 2014 Stryker Green GTS Viper (every option!) all carbon fiber interior and TA exterior, 2014 Range Rover Aintree green Autobiography,

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Ontario
    Glad you're both OK. You're lucky. Don't do it again. Delete this thread if you can.
    Want a mod that makes your car faster? Fix the nut behind the wheel!

Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Arizona
    Wow, sorry to hear about the accident, but glad you guys are ok. I second sharpman, delete post until you settle with insurance.

A
    A few words of CAUTION to those who think
    a VIPER looks MEAN, ARROGANT and HOSTILE...
    CUT OUT THE FLATTERY!

Banned
    OMG!! You had a guardian angel watching over you two. It is amazing that no one got seriously hurt or killed. Live everyday like it's your last.

Thank goodness you’re both ok, and that’s all that matters. We all live (hopefully, thankfully) and learn. Hope the crash-anxiety passes, something like this could happen to anyone. Take it to heart, be thankful you’re both ok and try to shake it from your head. All the best.
    McLaren 650s Spyder. Ex’s ‘16 ACR, VE H/C, '13 GTS, '99 RT/10, '03 SRT, '08 SRT. - 'God bless America, all 8.4 liters' - R.Pobst

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    You are lucky to be alive and intact without any major injuries. And you've learned your lesson...something a lot of others fail to do. You are quite young and I've said this for years, this is not a car for younger people. They haven't had enough life experiences and minor mistakes to avoid the major mistakes. Anyway, count your blessings forever. This will change your outlook on life permanently.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    Your extremely lucky that both ends of the car was hit and the cockpit was spared. The biggest person I feel bad for is your girlfriend who had no control of the situation. Glad you are both OK and you truly sound remorseful. As stated, cars can be replaced but lives cannot... If I were you I would give your girlfriend a tight hug..
    96 GTS (# 33, Bone Stock), 66 Mustang Convertible, 66 Mustang Hardtop, 69 Corvette Roadster

Scary stuff and yes it is easy after years of driving fast to forget that all it takes is one slip or one car getting in your way and this can happen.

You were probably also saved from serious injury by hitting the tree rear end first, that top pic is shocking. I know this is a detail but look how the CF X brace fractured.

Finally we need pictures of the new girlfriend.
    Last edited by St Pete Viper ACR E; 12-10-2019 at 06:25 AM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    New England
    Sorry about your car and no reason to beat up on you since it appears you have learned a lesson the hard way. I was a police officer for 30 years and saw many people die in wrecks that didn't look as bad as yours. You were both very fortunate to survive. I have driven the Tail several times. It can get away from you easily on that road. Better to drive at 5/10's than 10/10's and enjoy the drive without endangering your life. Glad you are both OK.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky

Supporting Vendor
    Glad you are okay and thank you for sharing as a reminder to others! Hope to see you back in a Viper one day.

Doug

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Carolinas

damn tore hell outta that beauty!Count your blessings...car did its job keeping you safe...its replaceable.Several folk on here can help you with inshorance claim...good luck!

Enthusiast
    Where's Alex Rebuilds when you need him?

That is quite the story and its no small miracle you and your girlfriend came out almost unscathed. The Dragon is no joke. Be thankful, respectful, and smart moving forward as you are getting a 2nd go at life. If the girlfriend sticks around, you might want to marry her!
    Blake

2016 1 of 1 Viper GTC Prefix 9.0 Stroker Stage 2 Arrow

Thank you so much for the support everybody. Nothing is more apparent than how lucky we were. I'm so glad I can sit here to write this and that neither of us were even moderately injured. I have absolutely learned an important lesson that I won't forget. If I didn't, then I don't deserve to be in another car anyways.
    My girlfriend and I just came back from a week long vacation at Disney in Florida. It was nice to clear my head with something else and focus on getting my life back in order. I'm just so thankful that we were even able to go on this trip after a wreck like we had.

Very thankful to be here,
    - Randy and Sam

IMG_8096.jpg
    -2014 Orange Viper TA #68/93: Arrow PCM/Full ARH exhaust with cats (Coated and wrapped)/DSE single sealed catch can/ DSE airbox heatshield/K&N air filter/18 speaker upgrade
    Previous: 2004 Subaru WRX premium in World Rally Blue fully STI swapped 530whp 520wtq

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Ontario
    WOW ! Glad to hear you both are ok . And the car is replaceable........

The SRT engineers talked about aluminium frame vs steel frame . And yes the aluminium frame would have saved 50 lbs , it's situations like this were the steel frame is the better choice.......

The Dragon attrition rate is quite high for cars and motorcycles and can be very unforgiving . In some cases it's taken up to 6 hours to get my friends to a hospital......

Track days are really the best place for spirited driving.........

Hope to see you in another Viper .
    White Mamba ,

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Minnesota
    I have a lot of track video I took that I watch over and over, the rain laps especially show how easily a driver could lose control of one of these cars, even at a lot lower speeds. If you were wide open in 2nd gear, on a public road, I can only imagine how incredibly terrifying your video would be to watch. If you ever decide to share that horrible experience, I promise not to judge you. Putting myself in your shoes, I can hear my wife telling me to slow down, so I can see this happening all too clearly. I've actually had nightmares about pretty much this exact same scenario.

I'm sad to see my favorite Viper hurt, but I am a lot more happy to read that you two are okay, and still together.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Dason
    First it was a '95 RT/10, then came the '01 GTS. Now it's a '14 GTS. They say the third time's the charm, I have to agree.

VOA Member
    since 2014
    St. Louis
    glad your ok, allways listen to women when they say your doing something silly, they are usually right. move on we all have done silly stuff,just don't repeat it

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Ontario
    Very glad you guys are okay. Sad ending for your time with the car but it sounds like you'll use the experience for the better. This could have happened to probably just about everyone reading your story at one time or another when being foolish, regardless of age or driving experience. I hope you sharing your story will help save others from experiencing something similar, or worse. Like J TNT said, track days are really the best place for spirited driving.

Wishing you the best at putting this all behind you and moving on to a great future, which will hopefully include another great car at some point!
    2014 SRT Black TA, 69,000 kms. Last of the 159 built. Thanks to Ralph and Team Viper for an incredible Viper!
    2019 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 19,000 kms.

Quote Originally Posted by theviper View Post
    You are lucky to be alive and intact without any major injuries. And you've learned your lesson...something a lot of others fail to do. You are quite young and I've said this for years, this is not a car for younger people. They haven't had enough life experiences and minor mistakes to avoid the major mistakes. Anyway, count your blessings forever. This will change your outlook on life permanently.
    Nothing to do with age. I bought my first Gen V at age 23 as well. It just has to do with experience, and that experience can come at any age.

Randy, I'm so glad you and the lady are ok. As many have stated, the car can be replaced. It takes a lot of guts to admit when you've made a mistake and I commend you for owning that. A hard lesson to learn but better to learn it now. Hope to see you back in a snake soon.

Lastly, agreed that you should delete this thread until you are settled with insurance.
    2017 1 of 1 Rosso Fuoco Viper GTC w/ Sepia Laguna leather interior | int & ext carbon
    [previous] 2013 Adrenaline Red SRT Viper GTS w/ Sepia Laguna leather interior

Thank you for sharing and I'm glad you two are okay. As another young person relatively new to high performance cars, this struck a cord.

Thanks for sharing the story. I've said this over the years that a Viper is the safest car to crash in. I've personally walked away from a crash into a concrete barrier at the track at 120+ That sent me spinning and bouncing all over the place and only had a sore foot and some bruises from the harness. The Viper was so mangled and totaled to the point people where shocked that I was alive much less get out of the car and kiss it good bye (literally). My other viper wreck was being side swiped by a moron trying to take a pic that sent the car flying off the hwy at 75mph. Still totaled the car as it bent the frame on the passengers side from going over a dead deer! But I still walked away unhurt. Asshole made it a hit and run.

You are lucky, sounds like you have learned a good lesson the hard way (haven't we all for one thing or another).

PS: new girlfriend major upgrade from old girlfriend. :-p

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    NOTE: IF you have any 'open issues' as with law enforcement, property damage, car insurance, or your GF medical, I urge you to remove this post now, and re-post it after any and all open issues are totally resolved.

BEST OF LUCK to you both
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast