Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    New Owners of a 96

    Hello all,
    My dad and I just recently purchased a 96 Viper together and we're already loving it. Being in Chicago we're already having to think about storage but we're going to enjoy the few nice days while we can. We've noticed a couple cheesy interior parts that we'd like to replace already but we're mostly wanting to keep it stock. 96 seems to be an odd year for finding parts so we'll be leaning on this forum for help. Thanks in advance!
    IMG_20191222_164548.jpg

  2. #2
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Arizona
    LifeIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Viper Drive, AZ
    Posts
    780
    Congratulations. Welcome.
    2001 VRY RT/10

  3. #3
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Blair, Nebraska
    Posts
    3,165
    Congrats and looks like you have a latter model 18 inch rim on the car, so acquiring tires along the way should be a bit easier. Sure you and your Dad will have a bunch of fun with the Snake and nice old Vette ( 69? )? Looks like the household has two great examples of real American Muscle and it will be fun to hit Cars and Coffee with both of them come Spring! Second the suggestion to join VOA and the Chicago Region, as it is one of the largest Clubs within our organization. With membership you also will have the opportunity to go to the National Viper Event in Miami, and that sure sounds like a great reason for a father/son road trip?
    Concierge Coordinator for Luxury and Performance Vehicles within the Woodhouse Auto Family ( now 18 Stores ) Yep, I am still working , ha,ha!!

  4. #4
    Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR
    Posts
    2,687
    Congrats. The 1996 RT is truly a "Split Generation" Viper that confuses most parts dealers straight into mistakes.

    It is kind of a Gen 1.5 Viper......a 50-50 mix of G1 and G2 parts

    The body, interior, engine, and driveline are essentially Gen 1, but for sidesills G2.

    Underpinnings, suspension, shocks, exhaust, 17" wheels, etc, are essentially all G2.

    Little-known trivia fact: The 1996 RT/10 Frame is a stand-alone part, and outside the purpose-built GTS-R race cars, is the strongest frame on any year-model street-Viper! Why? 96 RT has a G2 frame, but WITHOUT airbag crush-zones as all G2 and later Vipers have. Additional torsional stiffness in 96 RT that no other Viper can claim. {makes it important to have good-traction rubber, Know Your Date Codes.}

    Be safe with the loud-pedal.

    As noted, your wheels are 99-02 18in. "Pizza Dish" wide spokes, and maybe your steering wheel is changed too...
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 12-24-2019 at 01:39 PM.
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com


  5. #5
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    New England
    capevettes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cape Cod
    Posts
    563
    Nice Viper. Congratulations. I like the Lemans Blue 68 Big Block too. Had one just like it. Enjoy the new ride.

  6. #6
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    WV/PA
    FrankBarba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    808
    Thanks JonB for the History Lesson. I'm always amazed at what you know.
    1996 Nextel CupCar FS
    2003 Comp Coupe FS

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by capevettes View Post
    Nice Viper. Congratulations. I like the Lemans Blue 68 Big Block too. Had one just like it. Enjoy the new ride.
    Good eye! That's my uncle's 68

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    Congrats and looks like you have a latter model 18 inch rim on the car, so acquiring tires along the way should be a bit easier. Sure you and your Dad will have a bunch of fun with the Snake and nice old Vette ( 69? )? Looks like the household has two great examples of real American Muscle and it will be fun to hit Cars and Coffee with both of them come Spring! Second the suggestion to join VOA and the Chicago Region, as it is one of the largest Clubs within our organization. With membership you also will have the opportunity to go to the National Viper Event in Miami, and that sure sounds like a great reason for a father/son road trip?
    Thanks for the tip - I will definitely check out the regional clubs. That will be a big help in finding parts and advice. The vet is a 68 big block... I think I prefer our viper though 😏

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    Congrats. The 1996 RT is truly a "Split Generation" Viper that confuses most parts dealers straight into mistakes.

    It is kind of a Gen 1.5 Viper......a 50-50 mix of G1 and G2 parts

    The body, interior, engine, and driveline are essentially Gen 1, but for sidesills G2.

    Underpinnings, suspension, shocks, exhaust, 17" wheels, etc, are essentially all G2.

    Little-known trivia fact: The 1996 RT/10 Frame is a stand-alone part, and outside the purpose-built GTS-R race cars, is the strongest frame on any year-model street-Viper! Why? 96 RT has a G2 frame, but WITHOUT airbag crush-zones as all G2 and later Vipers have. Additional torsional stiffness in 96 RT that no other Viper can claim. {makes it important to have good-traction rubber, Know Your Date Codes.}

    Be safe with the loud-pedal.

    As noted, your wheels are 99-02 18in. "Pizza Dish" wide spokes, and maybe your steering wheel is changed too...
    Love the trivia. That's interesting, I thought there was a recall out on those frames for additional bracing needed to prevent fractures. Can anyone expound on that?
    We will be looking for some interior parts so that's good to know that I can mostly look under the Gen 1 sections. Are there any known exceptions to this rule of thumb for the interior of a 96? Off the top of my head we're looking for the rear bulkhead speaker bezel trim and possibly the front and lower dash trim.

  10. #10
    Nice and congrats! You've got a Chevy, Ford, and Dodge in your driveway....

  11. #11
    Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR
    Posts
    2,687
    Quote Originally Posted by HighLife View Post
    Love the trivia. That's interesting, I thought there was a recall out on those frames for additional bracing needed to prevent fractures. Can anyone expound on that?
    G2 frames from 1996-2000 had 2 recalls #998 and 999 to weld-on strengthening gussets at front and rear. Ws a problem on some tracked cars.

    Since ou 1996 RT/10 has a G2 frame, it may be subject of recall. Any Dodge dealer can tell with your Vin #.

    At this point, NOT BROKE? DON'T FIX... unless you plan to track the car. CAUTION: Probably 50% of rears were installed backwards by clueless dealers. Seek dealer reverences before performing this questionable recall
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com


  12. #12
    VOA Member
    since 2020
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)

    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    DETROIT, MI
    Posts
    18
    Congrats, looks awesome.


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •