VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    WV/PA

Unhappy New airbag recall for 05 and 06 that was posted on Allpar

Affecting the 2005-06 Dodge Vipers (19V885), where the car may deploy the airbags or seat-belt pretensioners without cause. The cure is replacement of the restraint control computer, at no cost to owners; the recall is slated to begin at the end of January. Vipers covered were built from May 18, 2004 (the start of the 2005 model year) through to August 28, 2006 (the end of the 2006 model year). A similar recall for 2003-04 Vipers was already launched. The first problems were seen in early 2015; but FCA did not know it might affect the 2005 Vipers until January 2019. The part was made by ZF. So far, there is one injury related to the problem, but no crashes.

See the article at the below website.

www.Allpar.com

https://www.allpar.com/news/2019/12/...-recalls-46857
    2010 VoooDoo

One of the original 100

Regional Director
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Ontario
    Thanks for sharing !!!
    If I remember correctly , there was a recall for the recalls.....
    Good thing I waited.......lol !
    White Mamba ,

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    J TNT, you have a good memory. As I recall, the 2003 and 2004 Vipers first got a modified harness for the airbag system...which was later removed and a new module was then installed.

For those unfamiliar with this procedure, I would suggest that you prepare yourself for a shock as the dash, steering wheel must be removed and the steering column dropped down to the floor in order to change out the module. Hopefully, owners can find a Viper-experienced tech for the process as it is easy to scratch the dash and console in these cars. Also, some of the operating systems can be difficult to reconnect solidly via the now old, time/heat worn electrical connectors. This includes gauges, windshield wipers, etc.

And, in case you are weighing the merits of this recall...YES, I would happily repeat the process if necessary on our 2003 given the stated risks of an airbag malfunction without said repair.
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

Regional Director
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Ontario
    Thanks Steve ...

And you are spot on with your recommendations , a good Viper Tech is Highly recommended to minimize broken connectors and Dash pads........
    White Mamba ,

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    I have shared the Info with the European Clubs.

No Idea who would do recall work over here? We don't have any dealerships!

VOA Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom

Luckily things might not be so bad for us guys in the UK Mark. I’ve got the 2003/2004 model which was involved with the previous airbag recall back in 2016. Mine got sorted seamlessly thanks to Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA), they sent me a safety recall notification through the post, I guess they got my data from the DVLA database. I contacted my local Jeep Authorised Repairer and they had me booked in within the week, the repair was completed within 24 hours. They also provided me with a courtesy vehicle free of charge, a baby blue Fiat 500, and laughed at me as I pulled of their forecourt. Hopefully the UK guys affected by the latest recall will get the same treatment, if you don’t receive a letter I’d advise Googling the ‘Recalls Look-up by VIN’ website to see if you’re affected, then contact your local dealer. As a side note, I’ve had a fair degree of success ordering routine parts, gaskets etc from my local dealer who ships them in from Italy, arriving in the UK every Thursday, and in many cases cheaper than importing from the States. Good luck guys.

VOA Member
    since 2017
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    Love this forum. I just sent this to a friend that just got an 05. I would hate to see any of us get hurt.

Thanks for posting!
    2010 ACR absolutely stock... well... kind of

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    WV/PA
    Going forward, I'm hoping that recall will not be expand to generation IV cars.
    2010 VoooDoo

One of the original 100

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)

I looked in the 2006 Viper Service Manual for the replacement procedure for the Occupant Restraint Controller and here is the summary:
    1. disconnect battery 2. remove console, shifter and parking brake mechanism, 3. remove instrument panel center stack bezel, 4. remove radio, 5. remove ORC and replace with new, 6. run test on DRBIII, 7. If OK, reconnect and reinstall all parts.

2005-2006 Dodge Viper Recall2005-2006 Viper Recall 001.jpg
    Last edited by fhrzr1; 01-06-2020 at 12:47 PM.

VOA Member
    since 2015
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper10 View Post
    Luckily things might not be so bad for us guys in the UK Mark. I’ve got the 2003/2004 model which was involved with the previous airbag recall back in 2016. Mine got sorted seamlessly thanks to Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA), they sent me a safety recall notification through the post, I guess they got my data from the DVLA database. I contacted my local Jeep Authorised Repairer and they had me booked in within the week, the repair was completed within 24 hours. They also provided me with a courtesy vehicle free of charge, a baby blue Fiat 500, and laughed at me as I pulled of their forecourt. Hopefully the UK guys affected by the latest recall will get the same treatment, if you don’t receive a letter I’d advise Googling the ‘Recalls Look-up by VIN’ website to see if you’re affected, then contact your local dealer. As a side note, I’ve had a fair degree of success ordering routine parts, gaskets etc from my local dealer who ships them in from Italy, arriving in the UK every Thursday, and in many cases cheaper than importing from the States. Good luck guys.
    I had my clutch safety switch recall done in 2016 after I was contacted by FCA at my local Jeep dealer. I have had a couple of items from them also delivered from Italy, oil cooler pipes for example.

Sorry to bump an old thread but just got the official recall letter from Chrysler a few days ago. Does anyone have any recommendations for a Dodge dealer with a Viper tech in the Atlanta/Alpharetta/Kennesaw area? I normally do all my work so I've never taken it to a Dodge dealer since I've owned the car.

VOA Member
    since 2015
    United Kingdom
    I had one recall for the clutch lockout done by FCA in 2016, at my local Jeep dealer in the UK, so I was surprised to see the letter I received today.

As my car is not an official import, there is nowhere to take the car in the UK. BUT I can take it to Germany, Switzerland or Sweden

I can't see me getting the opportunity to do this, so guess it's just a gamble whether the airbag deploys or not

edit: thanks to Facebook, I've been given 3 names in the South of England that can do the work. Boatwrights. AtlanticAutos and Mildenhall

viper recall.jpg
    Last edited by sonicbloo; 04-23-2020 at 01:45 PM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)

To: Snake3yez: Since you have done all of your own work on the car you probably have a 2006 Viper Service Manual. The steps are straightforward as to how to remove the interior components to get to the module. My plan is to remove those components myself and then make arrangements to take it to the Dodge dealer to have them remove the module, replace it, and follow the test procedure. Then I will reassemble the interior. I see the advantage as: I can be as careful and as slow as I want, I don't have to pay for the module and then submit a reimbursement to FCA, FCA will have a record that the module is replaced.

Steve,

I mean no disrespect. But I just did mine.
    Steering wheel does not need to be removed at all. It is nowhere near the module.
    I will post pictures in the near future. The module is under the radio. No big deal.

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Happy to hear that.

As I posted, all of the 03 and 04 modules that I saw being replaced went the long way around as I described. While I cannot explain the differences, one has to at least wonder if it was tech's choice due to presence of the previous harness placement (a failed fix), a difference in layout, or even the size on the hands doing the job.

In any event, we ALL appreciate the update !!
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.