Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Seat rear mounting point unsafe

    As I written in other threads, I'm going to put a real bucket seat in my ACR. Today I removed the stock seat and started to poke around. The good news is that I think the OMP seats I found will fit if I shift the seat 20mm towards the transmission tunnel (y) The bad news is that, imo, the rear mounting point for the seat is really, really weak! Remember that this is the place that will take up most of the forces in a collision due to that both the lower and the waist belt is connected to these two points.

    What I found was that there are just two bolts going through the flimsy floor. No reinforcements of any kind. I can even move the bolts from side to side using my hands!!! These will rip straight out of the floor in a collision and you will get all the force on your shoulders. What's the point of a 6-point harness when only two of them are fastened properly to the car? Actually, this is even worse if you use the stock 3-point seatbelt since if the seat comes loose, you don't have any seatbelt anymore...

    This needs to be addressed in some way. I just need to figure out how. I fear that I need to open up the floor that covers the bolt heads from the underside and add some heavy duty steel plate to spread the load.

    Is there not anyone else that have seen this and addressed the problem? I cannot imagine driving around on track with such unsafe seatbelt mounting.

  2. #2
    Are you talking about the stock seat? If so teamtech has a harness bar you can bolt on the seat rail for a secure mount.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    Are you talking about the stock seat? If so teamtech has a harness bar you can bolt on the seat rail for a secure mount.
    No, I'm talking about the bolts that goes through the _thin_ floor. The ones that holds that bar in place.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by eckeph View Post
    As I written in other threads, I'm going to put a real bucket seat in my ACR. Today I removed the stock seat and started to poke around. The good news is that I think the OMP seats I found will fit if I shift the seat 20mm towards the transmission tunnel (y) The bad news is that, imo, the rear mounting point for the seat is really, really weak! Remember that this is the place that will take up most of the forces in a collision due to that both the lower and the waist belt is connected to these two points.

    What I found was that there are just two bolts going through the flimsy floor. No reinforcements of any kind. I can even move the bolts from side to side using my hands!!! These will rip straight out of the floor in a collision and you will get all the force on your shoulders. What's the point of a 6-point harness when only two of them are fastened properly to the car? Actually, this is even worse if you use the stock 3-point seatbelt since if the seat comes loose, you don't have any seatbelt anymore...

    This needs to be addressed in some way. I just need to figure out how. I fear that I need to open up the floor that covers the bolt heads from the underside and add some heavy duty steel plate to spread the load.

    Is there not anyone else that have seen this and addressed the problem? I cannot imagine driving around on track with such unsafe seatbelt mounting.
    You are absolutely correct eckeph and we corrected all these problems you have pointed out with our racing seat kit

    5TH GEN VIPER RACING SEAT WITH DRIVER HEAD CONTAINMENT
    Our aluminum racing seats are built specifically to fit the Dodge Viper. These seats offer maximum driver protection and comfort while also lowering the driver seated position by 3 inches. Our racing seats are known for being extremely comfortable while still appealing to the serious track day Viper drivers.
    • Seats will accept 5-, 6-, or 7-point racing
    lap belt mounting bracket double shear mounting with added fastener mounting points
    • Padded driver head containment
    • 3-inch lower seating position allows for better helmet clearance and performance
    • 20 lbs. lighter than factory seat
    • Adjustable mounting front, back, up, down and tilt back
    • Our seats do not interfere with getting in and out of your Viper
    Kit comes complete with:
    • Billet aluminum seat base mount
    • 6-point impact racing camlock 3-inch lap belt, 3-inch to 2-inch shoulder belt.
    • Lap belt mounting bracket (accepts 5-,6- or 7-point racing belts)
    • Aluminum racing seat with head containment
    • Billet aluminum seat spacers for adjusting driver position
    • All necessary hardware for installation
    Optional custom fit seat foam kit available also for additional cost
    All prices include credit card processing fee

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM View Post
    You are absolutely correct eckeph and we corrected all these problems you have pointed out with our racing seat kit
    Ohh, you have? Did you add plates under the floor to strengthen the point where the bolts goes through the floor? Or how did you do it?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by eckeph View Post
    Ohh, you have? Did you add plates under the floor to strengthen the point where the bolts goes through the floor? Or how did you do it?
    We actually manufacture a complete new lap belt mounting bracket. Its uses the 2 original seat mount studs and then we added 2 more bolts that have washer plates bilt in. Its does require you drill 2 more holes for the added fasteners. We also use double shear bolt in harnesses only. This is the same setup we use in our Viper GT3R cars and very similar to all our race car builds so its proven over many years.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM View Post
    We actually manufacture a complete new lap belt mounting bracket. Its uses the 2 original seat mount studs and then we added 2 more bolts that have washer plates bilt in. Its does require you drill 2 more holes for the added fasteners. We also use double shear bolt in harnesses only. This is the same setup we use in our Viper GT3R cars and very similar to all our race car builds so its proven over many years.
    Ahh, that's nice! Good to know that someone is taking safety seriously! I must say that I got quite surprised by the discovery. Especially since I seen nothing about it being a problem previously. This should be number one on everyone's list if they want to track their car. Even if they are running stock 3-point seatbelts. Or maybe _especially_ if they are running 3-point seatbelts!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by eckeph View Post
    Ahh, that's nice! Good to know that someone is taking safety seriously! I must say that I got quite surprised by the discovery. Especially since I seen nothing about it being a problem previously. This should be number one on everyone's list if they want to track their car. Even if they are running stock 3-point seatbelts. Or maybe _especially_ if they are running 3-point seatbelts!
    We are a professional motorsports team as well as motorsports manufacture..... Safety is always number 1 with all our products.

  9. #9
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Arizona
    Pappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas/Phoenix
    Posts
    495
    As I written in other threads, I'm going to put a real bucket seat in my ACR. Today I removed the stock seat and started to poke around. The good news is that I think the OMP seats I found will fit if I shift the seat 20mm towards the transmission tunnel (y) The bad news is that, imo, the rear mounting point for the seat is really, really weak! Remember that this is the place that will take up most of the forces in a collision due to that both the lower and the waist belt is connected to these two points.

    What I found was that there are just two bolts going through the flimsy floor. No reinforcements of any kind. I can even move the bolts from side to side using my hands!!! These will rip straight out of the floor in a collision and you will get all the force on your shoulders. What's the point of a 6-point harness when only two of them are fastened properly to the car? Actually, this is even worse if you use the stock 3-point seatbelt since if the seat comes loose, you don't have any seatbelt anymore...

    This needs to be addressed in some way. I just need to figure out how. I fear that I need to open up the floor that covers the bolt heads from the underside and add some heavy duty steel plate to spread the load.

    Is there not anyone else that have seen this and addressed the problem? I cannot imagine driving around on track with such unsafe seatbelt mounting.[/QUOTE]

    This isn't exactly apples-to-apples and I really hate posting photos of "in-progress" construction shots, but this info may be relevant. I ran into the same problem with this non-Viper project. The original seats bolted to inserts in the fiberglass floor. I ended up locating suitable places under the floor where I could weld tabs to the frame with deep nut inserts for 3/8 bolts. I then heavily modified the OMP seat brackets (mostly to take some of the weight out of them) to fit an OMP HTE-R carbon seat. I know this may be a bit of a drastic approach, but there may be places under the Viper floorboard where you could bolt in a steel support to accomplish the same thing (to minimize alterations to your car). Good luck.

    Pappy

    56 Corvette Seat Mount 3.jpg

    56 Corvette Seat Mount 4.jpg[QUOTE=eckeph;400459]
    2000 Viper GTS (sold), 2016 Viper ACR-E
    Drivers: 2011 Z06/Z07, 62 Corvette, 2015 Camaro 1LE SS
    Track Cars: NASA Spec Ford Focus, 56 Corvette tube chassis

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    As I written in other threads, I'm going to put a real bucket seat in my ACR. Today I removed the stock seat and started to poke around. The good news is that I think the OMP seats I found will fit if I shift the seat 20mm towards the transmission tunnel (y) The bad news is that, imo, the rear mounting point for the seat is really, really weak! Remember that this is the place that will take up most of the forces in a collision due to that both the lower and the waist belt is connected to these two points.

    What I found was that there are just two bolts going through the flimsy floor. No reinforcements of any kind. I can even move the bolts from side to side using my hands!!! These will rip straight out of the floor in a collision and you will get all the force on your shoulders. What's the point of a 6-point harness when only two of them are fastened properly to the car? Actually, this is even worse if you use the stock 3-point seatbelt since if the seat comes loose, you don't have any seatbelt anymore...

    This needs to be addressed in some way. I just need to figure out how. I fear that I need to open up the floor that covers the bolt heads from the underside and add some heavy duty steel plate to spread the load.

    Is there not anyone else that have seen this and addressed the problem? I cannot imagine driving around on track with such unsafe seatbelt mounting.
    This isn't exactly apples-to-apples and I really hate posting photos of "in-progress" construction shots, but this info may be relevant. I ran into the same problem with this non-Viper project. The original seats bolted to inserts in the fiberglass floor. I ended up locating suitable places under the floor where I could weld tabs to the frame with deep nut inserts for 3/8 bolts. I then heavily modified the OMP seat brackets (mostly to take some of the weight out of them) to fit an OMP HTE-R carbon seat. I know this may be a bit of a drastic approach, but there may be places under the Viper floorboard where you could bolt in a steel support to accomplish the same thing (to minimize alterations to your car). Good luck.

    Pappy

    56 Corvette Seat Mount 3.jpg

    56 Corvette Seat Mount 4.jpg Pappy we can make your 5th gen viper much safer and proper race seat mounting whole lot easier. We have done all he engineering, testing and manufacturing saving you time and money. martin@tkomotorsports.com


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •