Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Upgrade Brake pads

    Hello everyone, I am looking to replace my brake pads with something a little better. I recently tracked my car and was experiencing some brake fade after a couple of hot laps. What do you guys recommend for brake pads?

    NON ACR Car

  2. #2
    Enthusiast TA Two Oh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    374
    How fresh is your fluid? Pads can definitely overheat, but it's far more common to experience fade from brake fluid that's exceeded its temperature limit. It only takes a teeny bit of contamination for temp survivability to plummet.
    2015 TA 2.0 Venom Black. 2001 Sapphire Blue Roadster SOLD, 1994 Viper Black Roadster SOLD

  3. #3
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Mandeville, LA
    Posts
    13
    Fluid should be the first thing to change out. Motul 600 or Castrol SRF are the most commonly used high performance brake fluid to use.

  4. #4
    VOA Member
    since 2019
    Georgia
    BSLSK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunViper09 View Post
    Fluid should be the first thing to change out. Motul 600 or Castrol SRF are the most commonly used high performance brake fluid to use.
    I'm switching to Motul DOT 5.1 soon. Does anyone have experience with it?
    2014 GTS

  5. #5
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,469
    I did a track day in my 15, solid rotor stock pad car, swapped the fluid to motul 600. Got brake fade in the middle of the 2nd session at laguna seca.

    Definitely need a combo of fluids and pads. Planning to get two piece rotors too.

  6. #6
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    ViperGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Greenwood Village, CO
    Posts
    2,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc_ View Post
    Hello everyone, I am looking to replace my brake pads with something a little better. I recently tracked my car and was experiencing some brake fade after a couple of hot laps. What do you guys recommend for brake pads?

    NON ACR Car
    I use Raybestos R45s in front and R43s in rear. They are rotor friendly, quiet (at least on my car), lower dust, and they come on at ambient temp. They also last a long time.
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

  7. #7
    Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR
    Posts
    2,684
    G5 assumed due forum....

    George cites a good option.

    Over 25 yrs we have used and offer a mix of PFC, Mintex, Brakeman, Brembo, Raybestos.
    Driver skill matters.
    R-Compound tires generate a LOT more brake heat !
    The track could matter.
    Fluid is a big factor.
    SS lines help...

    Optional Track-Pack Aero rotors help a lot.... saves 24 lbs rotating mass, and vent as much as 60% more air !!! On sale at $1595 ALL four, avail for G3-4-5


    JonB@PartsRack.com
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 01-13-2020 at 01:05 PM.
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com


  8. #8
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Ontario
    Bruce H.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,289
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLSK View Post
    I'm switching to Motul DOT 5.1 soon. Does anyone have experience with it?
    I tried this as a first fluid upgrade but it was only slightly better than stock on my car. Castrol React SRF was next.... and last fluid I'll ever use.

    Quote Originally Posted by ViperGeorge View Post
    I use Raybestos R45s in front and R43s in rear. They are rotor friendly, quiet (at least on my car), lower dust, and they come on at ambient temp. They also last a long time.
    I found this to be an excellent combo as well. Will be trying Hawk D7 front and D6 rear next which I expect to be very similar.
    2014 SRT Black TA, stock with driver mod. Last of the 159 built. Thanks to Ralph and Team Viper for an incredible Viper!
    2019 Porsche 991.2 Turbo S,

  9. #9
    Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    South Florida

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    120
    Everything that has been said above here but don't forget about adding some 3" reinforced silicone ducting hose from the front brake duct (I even did my rears), routed through the control arm, & land behind the caliper. May be the cheapest and most significant upgrade, but combined with better pads and Motul, if you still cook the brakes you are over driving the car.

  10. #10
    Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    FSTENUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    PAST RED LINE
    Posts
    576
    Motul 660 fluid with ST43's and ST45's pads are the best set up for tracking and they do very well on the street.
    BELANGER HEADERS/HI-FL0W CATS / EXHAUST/TRACTIVE SUSPENSION AND ARROW TUNE

  11. #11
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Arizona Vipers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Paradise Valley
    Posts
    3,541
    On street tires it was your fluid for sure, not your rotors or pads. Castrol SRF is the best by far, but has been on a national shortage for months now. Any of the other racing brands will work as well
    2013 caged 803whp 9.0 liter, 2016 ACR, 1996 GTS, 2001 RT/10, 2003 SRT/10, 2018 McLaren 720s, 2020 G63, 2005 Ford GT, 2019 Megacab Dually

  12. #12
    Enthusiast USAFPILOT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Spring TX
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    G5 assumed due forum....

    George cites a good option.

    Over 25 yrs we have used and offer a mix of PFC, Mintex, Brakeman, Brembo, Raybestos.
    Driver skill matters.
    R-Compound tires generate a LOT more brake heat !
    The track could matter.
    Fluid is a big factor.
    SS lines help...

    Optional Track-Pack Aero rotors help a lot.... saves 24 lbs rotating mass, and vent as much as 60% more air !!! On sale at $1595 ALL four, avail for G3-4-5


    JonB@PartsRack.com
    off topic...but are those rotors available for a 2016 Hellcat?

  13. #13
    Thanks everyone, tires are r888r all around. The fluid was changed before the track. However I didn't use anything special, I will look for some SRF if not, then ill look at motul.

  14. #14
    Castrol SRF Ordered! I am thinking of also doing SS lines and pads as well. Jon B?

  15. #15
    Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR
    Posts
    2,684
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFPILOT View Post
    off topic...but are those rotors available for a 2016 Hellcat?

    Yes...... they are a bit more $$ than Viper sets !




    We have SS lines for G5 Vipers
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 01-14-2020 at 03:31 PM.
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com



 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •