Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Changing rotors to steel

Hi

I got recommended by a fellow ACR-e owner to replace the stock composite rotors with steel since they are so expensive to replace and will wear out pretty quick if you do serious track work. Is there anyone who did this and what is your experience?

Any suggestion on brand of rotors and pads?

Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    IMG_20170205_085858.jpgIMG_20170205_125131.jpgIMG_20170204_094810.jpg
    This is the best set up I have found. Total time to swap out the CCB'S to Steel is less then 1 hour.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FSTENUF; 01-13-2020 at 02:12 PM.
    BELANGER HEADERS/HI-FL0W CATS / EXHAUST/TRACTIVE SUSPENSION AND ARROW TUNE

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by eckeph View Post
    Hi

I got recommended by a fellow ACR-e owner to replace the stock composite rotors with steel since they are so expensive to replace and will wear out pretty quick if you do serious track work. Is there anyone who did this and what is your experience?

Any suggestion on brand of rotors and pads?

4,000 hard track only miles on my ACR, front original rotors still going strong. And 3,000 hard track miles on my 9.0 track car, has the ACR brakes, never had to replace a rotor yet on that either.
    2013 track car, 2016 ACR, 1996 GTS, 2001 RT/10, 2003 SRT/10

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    4,000 hard track only miles on my ACR, front original rotors still going strong. And 3,000 hard track miles on my 9.0 track car, has the ACR brakes, never had to replace a rotor yet on that either.
    Hum... that's interesting! I would love not having to change rotors and pads. There are enough other expensive mods needed

Would be nice to hear if others have the same experience!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    Switched mine to steel. Up at Road America a 3 day event would use up a set of Carbon Ceramic front pads. With the steel rotors and pads can do at least double the events before replacing pads. $1400 to $300 in comparison on pad cost.

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Houston
    Those are the rear brakes right? ACRs are a 6 piston caliper in the front aren't they?

Looks like rear, unless its AWD lol

Quote Originally Posted by Marc_ View Post
    Looks like rear, unless its AWD lol
    It's the rear. You can tell by the hand brake calipers

Quote Originally Posted by 1ststrike View Post
    Switched mine to steel. Up at Road America a 3 day event would use up a set of Carbon Ceramic front pads. With the steel rotors and pads can do at least double the events before replacing pads. $1400 to $300 in comparison on pad cost.
    So, maybe I misunderstood my friend. Is it the pads that will wear out more quickly than steel? And the rotors will not?

VOA Member
    Northern California
    @OP, it's the combination of both. Heat causes the carbon rotor disc to oxidize, exposing more of the fiber material, which then acts like a cheese grater against the pads. After blowing through a new front CCM pad in a single track day(five 20min sessions) I switch to the Girodisc/Raybestos(ST43) setup and not looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM View Post
    We have never had any problems with the ACR carbon brake package, its almost bomb proof. Dozens of track and test days, full tank runs, sprints, endurance on multiple cars. Pro drivers, amateur drivers, track record here and there. ACR carbon brakes and pads we have never had a problem with brake temps or excessive pad wear and brake fade is almost non existent with proper service . BUT there are draw backs. Pads are expensive if your not accustomed to carbon brakes ( in the carbon brake world viper pads are a frickin bargain). Pads can be hard to find at times, only one pad compound available, caliper service life is cut in half.
    But with anything you always have to apply your " application" . If your looking for best bang for the buck, maximum amount of time on track keeping the good times going steel rotors are the way togo and adjust your driving style to a steel rotor brake package. If your trying to set lap records or in competition then stick with the carbon. No matter what brake package you go with you have to run heat shields on all the ball joints.
    What sort of heat shields are those you mention?

Quote Originally Posted by TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM View Post
    TKOSROD1300K

5TH GEN VIPER BALL JOINT HEAT SHIELDS 416.00
    Yes, those are on my list.

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    I am happy to report that PartsRack has over a dozen happy ACR-E owners who have switched to the steel setup in photos above. At our COMPETITIVE prices...... I wish I could translate screen names to customer names !!

We have replacement rings and pads in stock to keep you on the track.

NOTE: IF YOU DONT KEEP YOUR OE CC ROTOR HOLES CLEANED OUT, YOUR ROTORS WILL OVERHEAT AND FAIL PREMATURELY. YOU GOTTA DO THIS
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    I am happy to report that PartsRack has over a dozen happy ACR-E owners who have switched to the steel setup in photos above. At our COMPETITIVE prices...... I wish I could translate screen names to customer names !!

I didn't find any GiroDisc on your website?

NOTE: IF YOU DONT KEEP YOUR OE CC ROTOR HOLES CLEANED OUT, YOUR ROTORS WILL OVERHEAT AND FAIL PREMATURELY. YOU GOTTA DO THIS
    Yes, I did the rotors on my GT3 not long ago!

79488658_10220672115657845_6367431708018475008_o.jpg

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post

John is correct here! Tom O'dell told me the same thing!

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    I switched to Girodisc also. Love them.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    Now this is what I would expect from these brakes. Good stuff!
    I wanna keep using the composit rotors, and I'm OK with just replacing the pads ...How often do you have to replace your pads?
    00 RT, Black w/matte black , Roe 10lb charged, GG heads, cam, Borla, M&M, etc
    2017 ACR-E

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    I think driving style has allot to do with the life of the CCM set up. I tend to be hard on brakes. I went through 4 sets of front and 2 sets of backs in the first 2000 miles. I was told after 4 sets of pads I would need new carbon rotors. Bought the whole steel set up for the cost of just the front carbon rotors. Then switched to steel and got 1800 miles out of the first set of pads on my steel set up.

Supporting Vendor
    Supporting Vendor
    Same ........ 2000 hard track miles pro driver and amateur driver on ACR carbon rotors still perfect shape. 4 full test days before we even look at changing pads. The ACR carbon brakes are ridiculously good and cheap for carbon brakes. But if switching to steel rotors lowers your hourly run cost which means more cash for track days then it might be a good option. If you go steel make sure no drilled rotors. We all stopped using drilled rotors 25 years ago due to failures. Gas slots, J hook style are your best bet.
    Last edited by TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM; 06-23-2020 at 10:49 AM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
    I think driving style has allot to do with the life of the CCM set up. I tend to be hard on brakes. I went through 4 sets of front and 2 sets of backs in the first 2000 miles. I was told after 4 sets of pads I would need new carbon rotors. Bought the whole steel set up for the cost of just the front carbon rotors. Then switched to steel and got 1800 miles out of the first set of pads on my steel set up.
    Yeah I go through pads a lot slower than you were, I think the track has a lot to do with it too, not a lot of really high speed straights at most of the tracks I do, so my pads seem to last forever.
    If you look hard enough you can find the pads/rotors etc for about half price of Mopar list...

If you look hard enough you can find the pads/rotors etc for about half price of Mopar list...
    Any tips on where I have to look hard to find them at half the price?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2020
    Southern California
    2015 White GTC

Quote Originally Posted by FSTENUF View Post
    IMG_20170205_085858.jpgIMG_20170205_125131.jpgIMG_20170204_094810.jpg
    This is the best set up I have found. Total time to swap out the CCB'S to Steel is less then 1 hour.
    My rotors are toast at 50,000 miles. Where did you buy these steel rotors? Thanks

Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    Yep that's the place.
    BELANGER HEADERS/HI-FL0W CATS / EXHAUST/TRACTIVE SUSPENSION AND ARROW TUNE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast