Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy here

Enthusiast

New guy here

Hi All

I'm new to this forum but not new to faster cars. Over the years I've owned muscle cars, a street rod, a Ferrari, 2 Lamborghini's. a Corvette, a Maserati and a Porsche. I currently have a Lamborghini Gallardo, a Resto Mod '73 Hemi Cuda and a Prowler.

I'm looking to get a Viper GTS this spring and have been reading all of the forums to learn about the GTS. One of the things that concerns me is the cockpit heat and the temperature along the sills that many owners talk about. I live in SE Michigan so we do have some hot days in the summer. What I read is that the cats and exhaust routing are big contributors along with cooling capacity of the a/c system.

My question here is this: what do you guys do about the heat in the cockpit and sills??
    Thanks

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hemi steve; 01-14-2020 at 06:28 PM.

Enthusiast
    Installing high flow cats is the main fix and some guys add a little xtra heat shielding to cool it way down. Some also vent the sills by drilling out the front and rear of the sill.

Cut the cats out completely unless you live in Komifornia. Then you need to just move and cut the cats out.
    09 ACR With all the goodies
    99 ACR TT 99 red RT/10 Roe S/C
    97 B/W RT/10 TT 94 RT/10 TT

Enthusiast
    Where are the cats located? I presume that there are "test pipes" available? Do the aftermarket exhausts have cat free systems?

Steve

When you pull off the side cover you will see both the cat and resonator. It is common for the cat to get very hot and cook the paint. Just another reason to remove them. Most Catbacks are designed to bolt up after the converter. Depending on the sound you like, you can go with straight pipe in the front, then whatever catback you like from there. I have seen a few put in Spiral mufflers in place of the cats to smooth out the sound, which is a personal preference.
    Last edited by 99RT10; 01-15-2020 at 04:09 AM.
    09 ACR With all the goodies
    99 ACR TT 99 red RT/10 Roe S/C
    97 B/W RT/10 TT 94 RT/10 TT

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Minnesota
    There's a few of us that have installed additional Heatshield Products heat shielding in the transmission tunnel and in the sills to reduce temps. I also blanketed my cockpit with a layer of heat/soundproofing, high flow cats, and vented the front of the sill with SpeedTactics grills.
    2001 GTS Sap/Stripes
    "Death Waits in the Dark" -160th SOAR

Enthusiast
    MH60M

So with the heat shielding and sill venting you did, subjectively, how much better was the cabin heat issue. Is the sill cool enough to touch with bare skin (shorts)?

Steve

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Carolinas
    I have high-flow cats and heatsheids. https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/
    The sills do not heat up. You can lay a bare hand on them after a long drive with no problem. The side panels are also much cooler except near the cat. You will still want AC in hot weather. You can see what I did below.
    Heatshield Products3.jpg
    Heatshield Productgs4.jpg
    If you want things to stay the same, things will have to change.
    2002 Red RT/10

Enthusiast
    What material did you use in the cockpit?

Steve

I wouldn't let the "heat issue" dissuade you from purchasing the Viper. If you like the Viper, buy it and then see for yourself if the heat is an issue for you. Personally, I've never had any problems and don't imagine I ever will. If I'm wearing shorts when I drive the car and it's hot out and I've driven the car for an extended period then I know to be careful when I get out of the car. If I have pants on there has never been a problem at any time. The car is an awesome car. If you enjoy the way a '73 Hemi Cuda drives then you'll find the Viper pure ectasy. I have a '70 cuda 440 six pack and I find it very similar to the Viper. You need to drive the car, it won't drive you. They both will respond well to a heavy foot and quick hands.

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by hemi steve View Post

Steve
    I used Heatshield Products to wrap the pipes: https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/
    I like the idea of a protective covering over the insulation to help protect against rainwater soaking through to the pipes and possibly causing an issue with rust. Having said that, be assured that many here have gone with high flow cats without any wrap and still notice a significant improvement with heat. I live in South Carolina, and we do get some very hot summer weather. Although my roadster is a convertible, I don't take the top off, so the heat issue would be similar to a coupe. The AC isn't up to par when the temps are mid-nineties and above, but it's not so uncomfortable that I avoid driving in hot weather. I wouldn't let heat be an issue if you really want the car.
    2002 Red RT/10

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Minnesota
    MH60M

So, with the heat shielding and sill venting you did, subjectively, how much better was the cabin heat issue. Is the sill cool enough to touch with bare skin (shorts)?

Steve
    Yep, it gets a little warm if parked and idling; but no problems. You can touch it what whatever body part you choose...no issues.
    2001 GTS Sap/Stripes

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Minnesota

Steve
    I used FatMat...any thick sound/heat deadening material will work I'm sure.
    2001 GTS Sap/Stripes

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Regarding your quest for a Gen 2 GTS:

WHAT THIS GUY SAID.

Quote Originally Posted by COI View Post
    I wouldn't let the "heat issue" dissuade you from purchasing the Viper. If you like the Viper, buy it and then see for yourself if the heat is an issue for you. Personally, I've never had any problems and don't imagine I ever will. If I'm wearing shorts when I drive the car and it's hot out and I've driven the car for an extended period then I know to be careful when I get out of the car. If I have pants on there has never been a problem at any time. The car is an awesome car. If you enjoy the way a '73 Hemi Cuda drives then you'll find the Viper pure ectasy. I have a '70 cuda 440 six pack and I find it very similar to the Viper. You need to drive the car, it won't drive you. They both will respond well to a heavy foot and quick hands.
    Bolt-On Test Pipes Avail under $400. Bolt-On HiFlow Cats avail about $700. Sill temps Drop significantly..
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

Enthusiast
    JonB

So are you using a test pipe or a high flow cat? Do you have vendor names for the test pipe and high flow cats??

From the responses here, it looks like there are "hot sill" solutions. So that ticks off one of my concerns.

Thanks to all who responded. This is the value of forums like this one!!

Steve

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Carolinas
    JonB

So are you using a test pipe or a high flow cat? Do you have vendor names for the test pipe and high flow cats??

From the responses here, it looks like there are "hot sill" solutions. So that ticks off one of my concerns.

Thanks to all who responded. This is the value of forums like this one!!

Steve
    JonB is a trusted vendor. You can purchase directly from him. http://www.viperpartsrack.com/
    2002 Red RT/10

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    New England
    I purchased hi flow cats and a Corsa cat back from Jon B. Sill temps are dramatically lower and sound is considerably improved. There are Cat Back options out there that get to a different sound quality, but seems that many/most prefer the Corsa to eliminate drone. I was advised not to remove cats altogether as it will trip CEL. No doubt. There are ways to remedy that, but you will get exhaust odor that is noticeable without the cats. Others prefer no cats so you'll find many opinions and preferences - like most auto forums. There is a wealth of info to be had on this forum, regardless which direction you go. I've had my 98 GTS for about 1.5 years now. It's an animal , everyone loves to talk about it and its a pretty comfortable car to drive. Some quirks, but overall a great car. You'll find MANY posts on what to look for , things to ask, places to service. All great info. Big shout out to Jon B at PartsRack. He is awesome and very helpful. Good luck.

Enthusiast
    Texas. 110+ F ambient. 160+ F pavement. No sill heat with cats. It's all about venting the sills. Period.
    The best thing about this Viper forum....NO DAVE6666!

Enthusiast
    Three spots and three cars, you dumping the Lambo for an all Mopar garage?

Enthusiast
    Camfab
    I'll be selling the Cuda and replacing it with a Viper. I'll be replacing the Gallardo later. I need to decide what I want to replace it with. Lots of candidates but I need to do a lot of research...I love the hunt :-P

Steve

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    Southern California

Another vote for HFC. Test pipes would be too loud for my neighbors' liking, but that is an even better option.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    Southern California

Anyone make temporary/removable baffles that attach to tailpipes during cold start / heat cycle?

Enthusiast
    M5toViper

I need to be clued in on what problem you want to deal with with baffles.

Steve

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    Southern California

M5toViper

I need to be clued in on what problem you want to deal with with baffles.

Steve
    No problems at all. It would be good to have baffles that could be removed in cases where the exhaust was too loud (test pipes and headers). My neighborhood is quiet and I wouldn't want too much attention, especially at 7am on Saturday morning for Cars & Coffee

nice cuda but its the wrong color
    THE IGNORE FEATURE WORKS, TRY IT...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast