Enthusiast

New guy question 2

A good friend in Chicago has had a couple of Vipers in the past. I told him I am considering getting one this spring. He thought that I'd really like one. One of his favorite cars of all time was his Blue with white stripes GTS. He cautioned me though about the availability of parts on the older cars like the Gen I&II. So, I've been reading about the problem and immediately came across this thread on this forum https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...shield-Hunters where they are talking about the apparent total lack of replacement windshields. It seems to me that that is a huge problem for all of the reasons that are mentioned in the thread. It seems like they may have a solution in the works for this but it is not a slam dunk. What about the availability of other parts for the GenII cars?

What about parts availability for Gen III cars. I'm open to getting a SRT-10 coupe if parts are easier to find. but those cars are at the top top of my budget.

Steve

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    So I am a Hugh fan of the Gen II and to be truthful, lack of parts would not deter me from buying a Gen II
    96 GTS (# 33, Bone Stock), 66 Mustang Convertible, 66 Mustang Hardtop, 69 Corvette Roadster

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    There are 16 windscreens in France, I found a company that can reproduce screens, there are other companies too.

Tons of parts available for Gen II Vipers.

Buy one

Enthusiast
    daveg

Why do you like a Gen II over lets say a Gen III

Steve

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    So different people have different reasons for the Gen's they like an although I love all Vipers, the Gen II in my opinion is the best looking. The rawness, no nanny stuff and the looks. When they built the Gen V, they built it to look very much like the Gen II
    96 GTS (# 33, Bone Stock), 66 Mustang Convertible, 66 Mustang Hardtop, 69 Corvette Roadster

VOA Member
    since 2015
    United Kingdom
    I'm sure we all love ALL Vipers, but everyone will be a little biased towards their own - so I'm gonna stick mine up for the gen 3 appreciation society

19397870_445989575759977_1891724250_n.jpg

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    New England
    Looks nice, love the Color Combo.. I guess I am bias as you say though!

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    OK IF Pauls throwing up his Gen 3 Im going to Put up my Gen II

34625036255_e670ae0f24_o.jpg

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    New England
    Gen 2 fan here as well. To me it's the sweet spot for Viper Gens. There are plenty of parts out there. Bulletproof drivetrains. Reliable, great looking Vipers. If you do your homework and get a nice, unmolested car, you will love it.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]41651[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast
    Great looking cars guys. The Gen II vs Gen III debate reminds me of a 1979 Right Guard deodorant commercial where the tag line was "six took stick and six took spray" LOL.

Re the French windshields, as I understand it, the existence of them has not been verified yet and the price is said to be 1280 pounds ($1673 usd) plus crating and shipping I assume. The Curved Glass Creations solution is attractive if the shape data can be provided and you can get a few guys to join a group buy. The beauty of it is that a form tool will then exist for the future. This is an ongoing project by a few members and I applaud their efforts. Without forums like this I doubt that these things could happen.

Steve

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Carolinas
    I went to an event last fall with 30 Vipers. Every Gen present. I was surprised when several Gen V owners told me they regretted selling their Gen ll Vipers. They thought the Gen ll was the best Viper for the road. Loved the raw power and handling of these cars. I think all Vipers are beautiful cars, but there was a big difference in body style when the Gen lll Viper came out. They took away the curves. Less sexy looking in my opinion. Still a beautiful car though.
    If you want things to stay the same, things will have to change.
    2002 Red RT/10

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

We all get great reactions when out with our Vipers, but it has got to be insane how folks would act in Great Britain with so few Snakes slithering around the Isles?

Parts can be difficult for many cars 15-25 years old , so that is really not new. I would check with a local glass shop because it seems , over the years , windshields are available at times and then there is a shortage? We often had a wait to get them at Woodhouse , and then the shop we used would be able to secure one -- though the wait was long at times.
    Concierge Coordinator for Luxury and Performance Vehicles within the Woodhouse Auto Family ( now 18 Stores ) Yep, I am still working , ha,ha!!

Enthusiast
    In the Gen II vs Gen III decision, one thing I like about the Gen II cars is the location of the fuel filler...it's maybe a trivial thing but I like it :-)

Steve

If you address the items known to fail over time (PS pulley, crank pin, engine mounts etc.) in which parts are readily available through our top notch vendors on this forum, the cars are pretty ROCK SOLID requiring only routine maintenance. A lot of improved "Upgrade" parts are also available .... if that's what you're into as many of us have done (Shifter, exhaust, cats, suspension, brakes,etc). Don't let parts availability deter you. We have excellent resources through our vendors and as you see.... many owners here willing to help.

Great cars that remains to be a sure eye catcher every time she's out in the wild no matter the Gen. However, (Biased opinion) there's just something special about the GEN2 .IMG_0596.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy 18 View Post
    OK IF Pauls throwing up his Gen 3 Im going to Put up my Gen II

34625036255_e670ae0f24_o.jpg

Man I love your car. If I had a Red GTS I would model it after yours!
    03 C5 Z06 - K&N filter, Corsa Sport Cat Back - Torch Red
    96 Viper GTS - Corsa Cat Back - Blue and White
    02 Honda S2000 - Fujita CAI, Invidia Single Cat Back, Comptech coils - Sebring Silver

Order based on styling from good to best:
    Gen III
    Gen IV
    Gen V
    Gen I
    Gen II

I think that has been the overall consensus more or less. But if hp is what your prioritize, the choice is obvious.
    97 Viper GTS --- 99 YZF R1 --- 00 R1100 RT --- 01 Bullet C500 --- 07 Ram 1500 MegaCab --- 09 Triumph America --- 13 Outback 3.6R --- 22 Cybertruck DM

VOA Member
    since 2015
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by AviP View Post
    Order based on styling from good to best:
    Gen III
    Gen IV
    Gen V
    Gen I
    Gen II

I think that has been the overall consensus more or less. But if hp is what your prioritize, the choice is obvious.
    Starting from the bottom I presume

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicbloo View Post
    Starting from the bottom I presume
    Hoy

Enthusiast
    There are very very few parts that are hard to get for the Gen 2. But then again, how often do you change your headlight buckets?

Don't let the garage queenies that never drive their cars and don't have a clue how to work on them set the parts availability standard. I can find every maintenance and wear part that I will ever need. And all of the sh!t what just went boom parts too.
    The best thing about this Viper forum....NO DAVE6666!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    VA/MD/DC/DE

Quote Originally Posted by hemi steve View Post
    Great looking cars guys. The Gen II vs Gen III debate reminds me of a 1979 Right Guard deodorant commercial where the tag line was "six took stick and six took spray" LOL.

Re the French windshields, as I understand it, the existence of them has not been verified yet and the price is said to be 1280 pounds ($1673 usd) plus crating and shipping I assume. The Curved Glass Creations solution is attractive if the shape data can be provided and you can get a few guys to join a group buy. The beauty of it is that a form tool will then exist for the future. This is an ongoing project by a few members and I applaud their efforts. Without forums like this I doubt that these things could happen.

Steve
    Steve, don't think I would worry about the windshield as deterrent. As far as other parts, the Gen 2 viper shared tons of them from the entire Chrysler lineup. I got to meet Roy Sjoberg aka "Father Viper" not long ago and he likened the Gen 1 and 2 vipers to the old Johnny Cash song "One Piece at a time". He said that to keep production costs down, he used a lot from existing parts bins. The window switches were used in the PT Cruiser. The brake handle is out of a Lebaron. Windshield wiper motors are from the rear of a Caravan etc..etc..

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    Houston

Scrambling for parts, or having to pay a premium for some ... All part of the fun! Seriously though, I wouldn't let worries about that deter me. It's worth it to own and enjoy a Viper.

Having this community, and folks like JonB, tends to produce whatever you may need. As for Gen 2 vs Gen 3, I've owned both ... Admittedly a Coupe-only guy, so 2006 was my only option.

I loved my '01 GTS, sometimes regret selling it some years back. But the offer was too good to turn down. For me, the rear end of the '06 Coupe is the best look, even if the hood opens the wrong way ;-)

Enjoy your rides, Mike M