What is this noise

My engine makes a lot of clatter and I'm trying to determine why. This is a recently built engine with forged bottom end and completely new valve train. The adjustable rockers all have preload, and I checked that the adjustment wasn't bottomed out. I have two videos, the first with cold startup and then walking a mic along the driver & pass valve covers. The second is with the driver side valve cover off. The driver side noise seems to be coming from cylinder 1 or 2. I put a bore scope down the spark plug holes and I don't see any signs of piston to valve or head contact.

Cold start and listening to valve covers: https://youtu.be/TM_QjaJnjN8

Drive side valve cover off, listening to rockers: https://youtu.be/4y_S5LjhbYw

On shutting down the engine, there's no slop in the adjustment, so the lifters don't seem to be collapsed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Enthusiast
    What injectors are you using? They are historically noisy.
    The best thing about this Viper forum....NO DAVE6666!

I am using the injectors that came with the Roe kit: Siemens Deka 107961 60lb.

This is so loud I can hear it in the car on the highway. It doesn't sound to me like a rod knocking, but could it be piston slap or bad wrist pin? I hope not, but I can't see what else could be making this noise.

Enthusiast
    Send an oil sample to Blackstone labs.
    The best thing about this Viper forum....NO DAVE6666!

Enthusiast
    You can do the old school test with that valve cover off and the engine running. Put your thumb on each rocker and feel for a snap that is synchronized with the sound.

I'll give that a try tomorrow.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    VA/MD/DC/DE

Sounds like rockers could use adjusting. Not unusual after a fresh install to have to readjust. Go through lashing procedure again and should be good to go.