Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    VA/MD/DC/DE
    Drummerviper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    629

    Vipers still an iconic rare bird

    Way back when I bought my holy grail (to me) 95 Gen 1 Viper it was like martians had landed in my neck of the woods . And even today I see a Viper about as often as Ferrari, Lambo or McClaren. Pretty amazing and now that they are out of production the sightings will only become more rare.
    Last edited by Drummerviper; 01-29-2020 at 06:38 PM.
    17 GTS-R, 92 Viper, (Lutz VIN 00002) , 06 Heritage Ford GT, 19 Ferrari 488 Pista,
    15 Lamborghini Aventador, 18 Ford GT

  2. #2
    Way more exclusive than modern day f cars or lambo cars.

    I hardly ever see a snake from any of the 5 generations out in the wild. Can count the times on one hand in my life.
    #6 of 11 Roanoke Special Edition ACR Extreme

  3. #3
    VOA Member
    since 2014
    North Texas

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Lipan, Texas
    Posts
    342
    Just moved west of Ft. Worth.

    It has stunned the locals already ...

    Heck, I'm still stunned after 25+ years of Viper ownership ...

  4. #4
    VOA Member
    since 2019
    Arizona
    Robertk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Surprise arizona
    Posts
    141
    If this car never never existed and was released today it would draw the same crowds and drop the same jaws... I'm always honored to own one

  5. #5
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    New England
    ACRSNK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,988
    Love these cars

  6. #6
    Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    VA/MD/DC/DE

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    505
    As I tell every Viper Team member

    You were part of the last great vehicle development program in automotive history. It is a program that should have never happened and could have been cancelled at any moment. Except for a great leader in Roy Sjoberg and a passionate team, you created a vehicle that evoked the most primal of emotions from millions around the world at its debut and has continued to this day.

    The passion the Team had and has, lives in you......enjoy collecting it, watching it, sitting in it, driving to events, daily driving it, and tracking it. It is what they wanted.
    Brian
    98/99

    Motor City Viper Owners - Associate Member
    Coordinator - Hilton Head Concours 2019, Amelia Island Cars & Coffee 2019, Greenbrier Concours 2018
    GT2 Owners Group

  7. #7
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    WV/PA
    FrankBarba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    822
    Drummerviper: You might not believe this but I enjoy mine also...
    1996 Nextel CupCar FS
    2003 Comp Coupe FS

  8. #8
    Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR
    Posts
    2,758
    As with the greatest cars, the general public, car-loving or not, has NO IDEA what year or even decade the classic car is:

    Think: Jag XKE ; 911 Porsches; Ferraris .... and a few rare others.

    They might know 'its a Viper', but have no idea if new or old: 1995, 2005, or a 2015. True Test of a Classic.


    My favorite fact is that "GM builds more Corvettes in an average year than Vipers were built in 25 years!"
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com


  9. #9
    VOA Member
    since 2018
    Carolinas
    Bill W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    289

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    As with the greatest cars, the general public, car-loving or not, has NO IDEA what year or even decade the classic car is:

    Think: Jag XKE ; 911 Porsches; Ferraris .... and a few rare others.

    They might know 'its a Viper', but have no idea if new or old: 1995, 2005, or a 2015. True Test of a Classic.


    My favorite fact is that "GM builds more Corvettes in an average year than Vipers were built in 25 years!"


    Days after I proudly purchased my Gen ll RT/10, my neighbor walked over and gave it a quick glance, saying, "When I lived up north I knew a guy who had TWO Vipers, one license said "HIS" and the other said "HERS."
    So I'm thinking Viper envy, perhaps, and shrugged it off...well, tried to anyway.
    Months later my slave cylinder blew as I pulled out of my driveway, so I drifted to the curb and parked. Same neighbor walks over to me as I stood there waiting for a tow truck and says, "You should've bought a Corvette." More Viper envy, but this time I'm getting a little sick of it.
    A few weeks later, my neighbor was standing in his driveway with his brother and brother's wife who were visiting from up north. When I parked in the street they came right over, eyes riveted on the car. "Wow!" his brother says, "can my wife and I get pictures?"
    I said, "Sure thing." Meanwhile, my neighbor is standing back watching them eyeball the car while taking tons of photos.
    I'm thinking how nice karma can be at times. But the best part was when his brother said, "Last week at Thanksgiving we all said a prayer of thanks at dinner, and my fourteen-year-old son thanked God for Vipers." I smiled and told him I couldn't agree more.
    If you want things to stay the same, things will have to change.
    2002 Red RT/10

  10. #10
    VOA Member
    since 2015
    Houston

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    As with the greatest cars, the general public, car-loving or not, has NO IDEA what year or even decade the classic car is:

    Think: Jag XKE ; 911 Porsches; Ferraris .... and a few rare others.

    They might know 'its a Viper', but have no idea if new or old: 1995, 2005, or a 2015. True Test of a Classic.


    My favorite fact is that "GM builds more Corvettes in an average year than Vipers were built in 25 years!"
    Truth! People are shocked when I tell them my gts is 20 years old.

  11. #11
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    VA/MD/DC/DE
    Drummerviper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    As with the greatest cars, the general public, car-loving or not, has NO IDEA what year or even decade the classic car is:

    Think: Jag XKE ; 911 Porsches; Ferraris .... and a few rare others.

    They might know 'its a Viper', but have no idea if new or old: 1995, 2005, or a 2015. True Test of a Classic.



    My favorite fact is that "GM builds more Corvettes in an average year than Vipers were built in 25 years!"
    And it’s people like Jon who kept us old timers coming back. Not to mention he weathered WW3!
    17 GTS-R, 92 Viper, (Lutz VIN 00002) , 06 Heritage Ford GT, 19 Ferrari 488 Pista,
    15 Lamborghini Aventador, 18 Ford GT

  12. #12
    I have had people drive poorly trying to take pics going down the road! Driver leaning out the passenger side to take a pic/video. I don't want to be the cause of an accident but I'm not going to stop driving the viper.
    You can teach a dog to fetch, therefore you teach a potato to dance! “Amazingly Bad Analogy”

  13. #13
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    Southern California

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    64
    Same here, have had passengers take videos as we drove down the highway.

    She's a timeless beauty

  14. #14
    Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR
    Posts
    2,758
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeyl View Post
    I have had people drive poorly trying to take pics going down the road! Driver leaning out the passenger side to take a pic/video. I don't want to be the cause of an accident but I'm not going to stop driving the viper.
    Cell Phone Video Cameras and YouTube are a recent and dangerous phenom relative to Viper existence. Back in Gen 1 era, lots of motorists tried to take pix, over quickly. But VIDEOS take away their attention from driving. Ive been 'boxed in' by 2-3 cameras at a time. They hope to provoke you into something Tube-Worthy. DOnt take the bait!

    Back then, several COPS stopped me for 'no front plate' only to confess they just wanted to see a Viper up close and/or get a photo! Old Viper Quarterlies had many stories of this phenom.

    June 9, 1996, I actually had a BiPlane come down beside me on I-80 to VHS-Film me with a BIG TV camera. I was towing the '1st-out-of-CAAP' GTS behind my Indy Ram. It drew the sightseeing plane right outta the sky! He was maybe 30-50' high and followed me for about 2 miles!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 02-03-2020 at 12:51 PM.
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com


  15. #15
    Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    VA/MD/DC/DE

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    Cell Phone Video Cameras and YouTube are a recent and dangerous phenom relative to Viper existence. Back in Gen 1 era, lots of motorists tried to take pix, over quickly. But VIDEOS take away their attention from driving. Ive been 'boxed in' by 2-3 cameras at a time. They hope to provoke you into something Tube-Worthy. DOnt take the bait!

    Back then, several COPS stopped me for 'no front plate' only to confess they just wanted to see a Viper up close and/or get a photo! Old Viper Quarterlies had many stories of this phenom.

    June 9, 1996, I actually had a BiPlane come down beside me on I-80 to VHS-Film me with a BIG TV camera. I was towing the '1st-out-of-CAAP' GTS behind my Indy Ram. It drew the sightseeing plane right outta the sky! He was maybe 30-50' high and followed me for about 2 miles!
    Are those WHITE rims or just glare?
    Brian
    98/99

    Motor City Viper Owners - Associate Member
    Coordinator - Hilton Head Concours 2019, Amelia Island Cars & Coffee 2019, Greenbrier Concours 2018
    GT2 Owners Group

  16. #16
    Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Steve-Indy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,535
    They are white...but, I'll suggest that JonB should tell the story.
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •