Thread: 2009 ACR Shocks

2009 ACR Shocks

I was cleaning up the car (live in WI and that is all you can do with the car this time of the year) and noticed one of the rear shocks has some oil on the shock.

What is the recommendation on shocks?
    1. Dodge wants about $1,800 per shock. If I go this route do I buy both rears at the same time? With tax and new bolts it is almost $4,000.
    2. After market?? What brand do I look at? The car does not get tracked just spirited driving in the country.

Car has 9,000 miles.

Does anyone have a set of used stock ACR shocks they want to sell?

Thanks for the help.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    NY/CT
    You could call Chuck Tator, The Viper Wizard, (914) 763-3136, if he can't help you he can steer you in the right direction.
    2008 Viper SRT-10 ACR
    Black with Red Drivers Stripe
    1 of 36

Regional Treasurer
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America
    or have it rebuilt.

Bruce
    2009 ACR GTS Blue with Black stripes (1 of 2)
    MoparGarage.net
    Mopar Knights FB page

About 4 hours ago, I just bought a set of one way non-remote MCS shocks with 500/800 springs today (set of four) for less than what two of your shocks cost at the dealership. After a lot of research and speaking to several folks, I settled on MCS. Have only heard and read good things. Like you, I don't track my 09', but definitely do some spirited driving and the occasional drag race. The beauty of the MCS one-ways, is the fact that they can be upgraded to two way remote down the road.

Thanks for the quick info everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by BlknBlu View Post
    or have it rebuilt.

Bruce
    I would consider rebuilding the 1 bad shock. Who does the rebuilding?

Quote Originally Posted by LateToTheParty View Post
    About 4 hours ago, I just bought a set of one way non-remote MCS shocks with 500/800 springs today (set of four) for less than what two of your shocks cost at the dealership. After a lot of research and speaking to several folks, I settled on MCS. Have only heard and read good things. Like you, I don't track my 09', but definitely do some spirited driving and the occasional drag race. The beauty of the MCS one-ways, is the fact that they can be upgraded to two way remote down the road.
    I will check them out. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    You could call Chuck Tator, The Viper Wizard, (914) 763-3136, if he can't help you he can steer you in the right direction.
    Called Chuck, great guy. He doesn't have any factory shock at this time.

VOA Member
    since 2017
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    You can do this https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...ghlight=shocks

I cannot say enough good things about KW and their customer service/ tech service. What a great company!
    2010 ACR absolutely stock... well... kind of

VOA Member
    since 2014
    South Central Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverACR View Post
    You can do this https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...ghlight=shocks

I cannot say enough good things about KW and their customer service/ tech service. What a great company!
    Do you know if KW can change the valving? I never have liked the valving on the rears and had to dial in quite a bit of rebound to minimize the bounciness over certain kind of bumps.
    2009 Viper Red ACR w/stripe delete & black/red interior (1 of 1), 100% stock
    1997 b/w GTS....sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII, not stock

GT, message sent
    09 ACR With all the goodies
    99 ACR TT 99 red RT/10 Roe S/C
    97 B/W RT/10 TT 94 RT/10 TT

VOA Member
    since 2017
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    Quote Originally Posted by SA Heat View Post
    Do you know if KW can change the valving? I never have liked the valving on the rears and had to dial in quite a bit of rebound to minimize the bounciness over certain kind of bumps.
    They indicated they did custom work, but I just wanted mine rebuilt to stock specs. They communicate very well, so e-mail or call them for all they offer. KW is a pretty high end shock, so I’m sure they offer all the dyno testing etc.
    2010 ACR absolutely stock... well... kind of

VOA Member
    since 2014
    South Central Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverACR View Post
    They indicated they did custom work, but I just wanted mine rebuilt to stock specs. They communicate very well, so e-mail or call them for all they offer. KW is a pretty high end shock, so I’m sure they offer all the dyno testing etc.
    Thanks!
    2009 Viper Red ACR w/stripe delete & black/red interior (1 of 1), 100% stock
    1997 b/w GTS....sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII, not stock

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Southern California
    Tech Team
    You should remove the spring and and see if the shock has lost its gas charge. Sometimes you will get a little oil leakage around the seal. If the shock is still firm then clean the oil off and reinstall the shock,
    see if it continues to leak. Sometimes the weapage goes away. If there is quite a bit of oil, then you need the shock serviced.
    specialtyperformanceteam.com
    310-597-6295

Thank you for advice, will give it a try.