Enthusiast

Numbered edition cars

I'm in the research phase of a hunt for a viper which I will be buying this spring. I think that I see that there are a number of cars that seem to be thought of as being "special". I'm not talking about the race oriented cars such as the ACR etc. I'm talking about cars that are in a numbered series or are special because of the body style and color such as the '96 blue with white stripe coupe. Others that come to mind are the red with white stripe final edition coupes, the 2004 black and 2004 white Mamba cars and the 2005 silver Mamba. I'm sure there are others that I'm missing. While on the subject of the Mambas. I thought I read that they were only sold in black or white and only model year 2004. So what's with the 2005 silver Mambas?

Anyway, are those cars really desirable? The Final edition cars I could see as being more valuable back when they were actually the last coupes but then a few years later they bring the coupe back as a Gen III car. The Mambas were more unique with the different color interiors but again, a few years later you could get different color interiors. And then, white mambas seem to be more desirable than the black Mamba which I find odd since it looks to me like black cars are generally more popular than white cars.

So is there any wisdom on which cars are more desirable?

Steve

The difference here is that Gen 6 ain't happening.
    #6 of 11 Roanoke Special Edition ACR Extreme

Enthusiast
    No doubt about the Gen VI. But what about the cars I mentioned....just looking for some wisdom here.

Steve

VOA Member
    since 2015
    United Kingdom
    I think every owner will be biased about which ones are special. I know mine is (to me) but others will think otherwise

Are you buying as an investment or choosing a car you want to keep?

Mine is a 'First Edition' coupe gen 3. One of 200 made so not particularly rare - although very rare here in the UK - only 3 I believe, and maybe 2 more in Europe

Not sure how long I'll have to keep it for it to be an investment, but I didn't buy it for that

13584982_10206492631542118_7763676348193309072_o.jpg

VOA Member
    since 2015
    United Kingdom
    Other gen 3 numbered cars are 'copperhead edition' convertibles

white with blue stripe VOI9 coupe https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...ht=white+coupe

red with white stripe VCA coupes. https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...hlight=edition

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    VA/MD/DC/DE

Quote Originally Posted by hemi steve View Post
    I'm in the research phase of a hunt for a viper which I will be buying this spring. I think that I see that there are a number of cars that seem to be thought of as being "special". I'm not talking about the race oriented cars such as the ACR etc. I'm talking about cars that are in a numbered series or are special because of the body style and color such as the '96 blue with white stripe coupe. Others that come to mind are the red with white stripe final edition coupes, the 2004 black and 2004 white Mamba cars and the 2005 silver Mamba. I'm sure there are others that I'm missing. While on the subject of the Mambas. I thought I read that they were only sold in black or white and only model year 2004. So what's with the 2005 silver Mambas?

Anyway, are those cars really desirable? The Final edition cars I could see as being more valuable back when they were actually the last coupes but then a few years later they bring the coupe back as a Gen III car. The Mambas were more unique with the different color interiors but again, a few years later you could get different color interiors. And then, white mambas seem to be more desirable than the black Mamba which I find odd since it looks to me like black cars are generally more popular than white cars.

Steve
    Interesting for the omission.
    Brian
    98/99

Motor City Viper Owners - Associate Member
    Coordinator - Hilton Head Concours 2019, Amelia Island Cars & Coffee 2019, Greenbrier Concours 2018
    GT2 Owners Group

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Driver? Parker? Museum cars?

Dont misconstrue direct value in relation to low production numbers. Proof is the G2 1996 GTS. Retaining a higher % of MSRP, even tho over 1100 were built! The 1998 GT2 built 100, and has highest %. The G5 ACR-Es are amazingly solid too..

Gen 3 Mambas are nowhere near that MSRP retention.

92 RT is the current holy grail. Or the 50 ACR-X Race Cars?

All Vipers are RARE......there are probably a DOZEN "Factory Numbered" editions from 50 - 360 units. Rare? And as you noted, the "Final Editions" thankfully were NOT!

Add-in a handful <dozen of 1 of 1 raffle cars.

And hundred++ 'Club and VOI editions.' RARE?

G5 had HUNDREDS of documented 1-of-1 cars. RARE???

Buy what you like best, and invest in something else..... When you are bragging about YOUR rare Viper it will be true, and the audience is likely to be clueless anyway....

Lots of searchable 'rarity' threads here....

U can email me to schedule a reality chat? JonB@PartsRack.com

Quote Originally Posted by hemi steve View Post

Steve
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 02-03-2020 at 01:09 PM.
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

I think year matters (see price difference between 16 &17). Whether its numbered or not. A 25th anniversary edition matters. Special Edition matters. TA cars will do well too. Launch Edition probably not.

I doubt the Gen II GTS-R will ever be worth less than sticker. There are Gen 4 cars that are really special. The voodoo 1 finally just caught a day in the spotlight.

Policy: Im drawing an embarrassed blank with a '25th Anniversary Edition' Viper??

[I loved my 25th Anniv Vette Pace Car 1978 !]

Quote Originally Posted by Policy Limits View Post
    I think year matters (see price difference between 16 &17). Whether its numbered or not. A 25th anniversary edition matters. Special Edition matters. TA cars will do well too. Launch Edition probably not.

I doubt the Gen II GTS-R will ever be worth less than sticker. There are Gen 4 cars that are really special. The voodoo 1 finally just caught a day in the spotlight.

All 2017 Special Edition Cars were badged with a dash plaque that said 25th Anniversary. Pretty epic.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    New England
    All 2017 Special Edition Cars were badged with a dash plaque that said 25th Anniversary. Pretty epic.
    The Woodhouse ACR/TA badge doesn't say "25th Anniversary".
    1992 RT/10 - The One & Only FIRST
    2002 ACR - Graphite / Silver Stripe 1 of 22
    2017 GTS-R - The Most Amazing and The Last

25th Anniversary Edition Plaque on some 2017s

I cant help but wonder of that was a dealer-specific plaque? Care to share more info? Who / What else has a 25-anniv plaque?

Thanks!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    New England
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    I cant help but wonder of that was a dealer-specific plaque? Care to share more info? Who / What else has a 25-anniv plaque?

Thanks!
    Not dealer specific. All the factory SE cars say 25th Anniversary on the dash plaques in addition to the relevant number of the specific unit.
    1992 RT/10 - The One & Only FIRST
    2002 ACR - Graphite / Silver Stripe 1 of 22
    2017 GTS-R - The Most Amazing and The Last

I must have slept thru 2017......... Am still embarrassed to admit that I have no idea what a 25th Anniversary and / or Special Edition G5 Viper is!

{Maybe they just dont need any parts or tires yet?}

I must have slept thru 2017......... Am still embarrassed to admit that I have no idea what a 25th Anniversary and / or Special Edition G5 Viper is!
    That’s very weird Jon.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)

Come on Jon you know the Special Edition cars. Voodoo, 1:28, Snakeskin Green (coupe and ACR) and GTS-R. I personally do not consider the dealer specials as SE cars (TA/ACR & Dealer Edition (white with blue and red stripes).

Quote Originally Posted by ACRSNK View Post
    The Woodhouse ACR/TA badge doesn't say "25th Anniversary".
    Don't start this again. lol

92-17. 1/4 century baby. And yes the dealer Edition is one of only six (6) manufacturer model Special Edition cars.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Policy Limits; 02-06-2020 at 07:37 AM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperSRT View Post
    I personally do not consider the dealer specials as SE cars (TA/ACR & Dealer Edition (white with blue and red stripes).
    Oooooh snap! You are gonna have Policy all up in arms

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Western Reserve
    One day....One day I WILL have enough cash to buy that FKN ACR/TA. I'll turn it into a base model GT in Viper red with Venom wheels, then I shall DIE peacefully...
    1 of 7 Stripe Delete Slate Coupe.

I know the editions....I was unaware that some of them have a '25th anniv' fine print dash plaque! A fact that never slipped it....

Thanks

Not some; they all do. (The six SE models)