Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1

    Local dealer lost Viper tech

    Tried to make an appointment for a small evap leak code and knock sensor code today at local Dodge dealer and was told they do not have a viper tech anymore, but were trying to send a guy for training. They offered to clear the codes, but could not do anything else. What a PITA. I got a $100k plus car with a max care warranty that the dealer cannot work on, really? I am beginning to think if I can get this thing straightened out, I better get rid of it and replace it with something I can get serviced. Anybody else having service issues like this?
    Last edited by Blue T/A 2.0; 02-13-2020 at 09:34 PM.

  2. #2
    Enthusiast SLP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    130
    I threw away my 10yr/100k warranty and just do the work myself because my local "viper tech" caused more problems on my car than he fixed which caused my car to be out of commission for 9 months. I'm glad I decided to abandon the warranty and just took care of things myself. I hated dealing with the service departments.
    2013 GTS - Self Installed Heads/Valvetrain/Cam/Custom Exhaust. Triple carbon clutch and built tr6060.

  3. #3
    I trailer my cars 7 hours one way to drop them off for Eddie in Phoenix.

    Cost of owning these cars I suppose. Won’t get any easier over time as there isn’t much of an incentive to train to work on a car that’s out of production

  4. #4
    Had to travel nearly 3 different states to get warranty work done on my old GTS. Worst component of Viper ownership.
    #6 of 11 Roanoke Special Edition ACR Extreme

  5. #5
    Enthusiast Steve M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    3,203
    Well, one thing is for sure - if you think it is bad now, it's only going to get worse from here. A warranty is only as good as the service department that does the work, and for most of us, we don't have the luxury of competent Viper techs at our beck and call.

    Dodge made a great car, no doubt, but all cars have issues. Good service isn't in Dodge's business model - it never has been, and it's clear that it never will be. It's no different for Corvette owners, but I would argue that it's even worse for Viper owners since so few were made. Parts are already getting scarce, and even the best trained techs are going to be a bit rusty if they only ever see one once in a blue moon.

    If world class service is important to you, it's probably time to move on to something where you can get the type of service commensurate with the price of the vehicle. I remember them trying to fix that early on in the Gen 5 run, but their efforts seemed to fall short.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.04 @ 129.7, 1.81 60' (-100 ft DA, w/ 3.55s)

  6. #6
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    NY/CT
    cubeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    552
    A Dealer can work on a viper without a Viper Tech, just you'd much prefer to have him cause he was trained for Gen V's. They are a dying breed as they retire or quit due to once again, working for a dodge dealer. Service wise if you'd like to use your warranty, might as well sell the car as dealers without viper techs just butcher or don't provide the customer service expected of a six figure car.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    Good service isn't in Dodge's business model - it never has been, and it's clear that it never will be.
    Maintaining an adequate parts inventory isn't in Dodge's business model as well. You dropped over 100k on their car, only stopped production for 3 years...good luck getting parts...and they don't give a rats ass....nice way to treat your top tier customers Dodge.

  8. #8
    When I had an issue with my first ACR-E under warranty I had it transported enclosed on my own dime 100 miles away to more knowledgeable dealer and I have a (worthless) Dodge dealer ten minutes away from me. That's how pathetic it is here on the east coast. And THAT dealer had the tech leave. So now there's no one.

  9. #9
    Enthusiast Topplayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperJon View Post
    When I had an issue with my first ACR-E under warranty I had it transported enclosed on my own dime 100 miles away to more knowledgeable dealer and I have a (worthless) Dodge dealer ten minutes away from me. That's how pathetic it is here on the east coast. And THAT dealer had the tech leave. So now there's no one.
    having the same problem Jon, there is no longer a dodge dealer I know about that I trust working on my car. Its really sad.
    Jon
    2013 Viper GTS w/Track Pack --- 2018 Tesla P3D+ --- 2001 S2000 --- 2013 Limited F-150 --- 2013 Polaris Pro-R --- 2009 XR1200 --- 2018 Grom --- 1991 Honda Beat

  10. #10
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Southern California
    catwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    691
    Viper Tech has a higher billing rate than other Techs. Dealer wanted more margin for the repair., not that no one could work it.
    2017 ACR-E (a real one)
    2010 ACRx #24

  11. #11
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    ViperGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Greenwood Village, CO
    Posts
    2,802
    Truth is that the Viper is actually pretty easy to work on unless you are doing an alignment and checking bump steer. A good master technician should be able to fix most anything. The real issue to me is finding a dealer and a mechanic that would treat the car better than they would a Dodge Stratus. You know keep it inside and not allow the lot jockeys to move it.
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperGeorge View Post
    Truth is that the Viper is actually pretty easy to work on unless you are doing an alignment and checking bump steer. A good master technician should be able to fix most anything. The real issue to me is finding a dealer and a mechanic that would treat the car better than they would a Dodge Stratus. You know keep it inside and not allow the lot jockeys to move it.
    I think we are talking about cars under warranty like the OP mentioned. That's the problem.

  13. #13
    Enthusiast Steve M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    3,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen5snake View Post
    Maintaining an adequate parts inventory isn't in Dodge's business model as well. You dropped over 100k on their car, only stopped production for 3 years...good luck getting parts...and they don't give a rats ass....nice way to treat your top tier customers Dodge.
    For most cars, that wouldn't be a problem since the aftermarket parts suppliers would normally step in and keep cranking stuff out. That's a tough sell for a low production number vehicle that uses a lot of unique-to-platform parts...it doesn't make business sense for them either.

    Don't get me wrong...I love my car, but at some point, something is going to break that is going to be nearly impossible to fix due to lack of parts availability, and that will probably be my point of departure from this platform. Thankfully, mine hasn't had any major issues to date, but it is always lurking in the back of my mind.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.04 @ 129.7, 1.81 60' (-100 ft DA, w/ 3.55s)

  14. #14
    Regional Director
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Ontario
    J TNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Ontario,MCVO,PA,OH
    Posts
    2,234
    From a mechanical point of view , these cars are easy to work on . The electronics may be hard to work through down the road , as well as interior parts.....
    White Mamba ,

  15. #15
    VOA Member
    since 2019
    Georgia
    BSLSK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    123
    Just try not to update Uconnect and you will be fine... There seem to be a number of reputable viper shops spread across the country. Might be helpful if you posted where you're located and maybe your fellow members could recommend a shop to you. Does suck though that you cannot use your warranty. Maybe ask for a refund? Can't imagine they would have a good reason to say no...
    2014 GTS

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLSK View Post
    Just try not to update Uconnect and you will be fine... There seem to be a number of reputable viper shops spread across the country. Might be helpful if you posted where you're located and maybe your fellow members could recommend a shop to you. Does suck though that you cannot use your warranty. Maybe ask for a refund? Can't imagine they would have a good reason to say no...
    You can cancel your warranty at any time and get a prorated refund on unused time/mileage.

  17. #17
    Just send the car to Nth Moto and have them go over the whole car and add some special sauce.

  18. #18
    It was literally easier getting warranty service on my Lamborghini than on my Dodge. Lol
    #6 of 11 Roanoke Special Edition ACR Extreme

  19. #19
    VOA Member
    since 2017
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    SilverACR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    575
    We still have good techs here in the Midwest. Worth the drive if you like steaks and pork chops. Just sayin... I’m 1.5h from Roanoke and 5 from Woodhouse.
    2010 ACR absolutely stock... well... kind of

  20. #20
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    ViperGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Greenwood Village, CO
    Posts
    2,802
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperJon View Post
    I think we are talking about cars under warranty like the OP mentioned. That's the problem.
    Yes I get that but my point was that a good mechanic at a dealership can work on the car, Viper certified or not. Warranty work could then still be covered. I have had non-Viper techs work on my car at the local Dodge dealership. The mechanic was into performance cars and did ultimately get certified as a Viper tech.
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperGeorge View Post
    Yes I get that but my point was that a good mechanic at a dealership can work on the car, Viper certified or not. Warranty work could then still be covered. I have had non-Viper techs work on my car at the local Dodge dealership. The mechanic was into performance cars and did ultimately get certified as a Viper tech.
    I would have been ok with a good mechanic that I could have discussed the situation with at the local Dodge dealer working on it in warranty or no warranty, but this particular Dodge dealer will not work on it at all, other than erase the codes, without a Viper Tech. Apparently, they do not want any liability. They recommended another dealer a few cities away that did have a Viper tech. I will get the codes erased next week weather permitting and make a plan to take it to the other dealer if they come back. PITA!
    This car has been at the mentioned dealer a few years back getting the R29? recall where the left valve cover was replaced, makes me wonder if this small evap leak may come from this earlier recall fix.
    Last edited by Blue T/A 2.0; 02-15-2020 at 08:19 AM.

  22. #22
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    ViperGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Greenwood Village, CO
    Posts
    2,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue T/A 2.0 View Post
    I would have been ok with a good mechanic that I could have discussed the situation with at the local Dodge dealer working on it in warranty or no warranty, but this particular Dodge dealer will not work on it at all, other than erase the codes, without a Viper Tech. Apparently, they do not want any liability. They recommended another dealer a few cities away that did have a Viper tech. I will get the codes erased next week weather permitting and make a plan to take it to the other dealer if they come back. PITA!
    This car has been at the mentioned dealer a few years back getting the R29? recall where the left valve cover was replaced, makes me wonder if this small evap leak may come from this earlier recall fix.

    There is a black plastic 1/2" tube for the EVAP system that runs from the driver's side firewall to the front of the engine. It runs underneath the fuse box. Once you find it feel along the line to see if has melted. This is a common problem especially on cars with headers but even non-header cars have melted this line. If it melted open that might be your problem. If it melts closed then you cannot easily put gas in the car as there is no venting. If it did melt take a 1/2" ID rubber gas line and simply replace the melted section with the gas line. Re-route it further away from the engine and on the fender side of the fuse box.

    Good luck. Weird about the dealer though. Mine had no problem getting a non-Viper tech to work on the car. In fact the guy was excellent. Took really good care of the car and he did a very good job on several items including an alignment (which on a Viper is more complicated).
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

  23. #23
    Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR
    Posts
    2,746
    If OP stated your location it might be helpful. Did I miss the obvious? Edit your original post?

    Location suggestions matter....... profile says "US"
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com


  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by commandomatt View Post
    I trailer my cars 7 hours one way to drop them off for Eddie in Phoenix.

    Cost of owning these cars I suppose. Won’t get any easier over time as there isn’t much of an incentive to train to work on a car that’s out of production
    Eddie is the man, maintains all four of my snakes, plus other Dodge products.

  25. #25
    Car fixed itself. Turned off check engine light on its own after 7 months. Probably has stored some of the codes that I should get cleared, but I will leave well enough alone for now.

    In my neck of the woods, I would try to find Tom Sessions in NC if he is still around. I met him at VIR a few years back and he seems to know his stuff about Vipers.
    Last edited by Blue T/A 2.0; 02-18-2020 at 09:12 PM.


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •