strange request anyone around nyc available to show me their viper gts

Seriously considering purchasing a gen 2 viper gts (been in the market for about half a year), but never really had the opportunity to sit in one (only the older rt/10 - wife hated the looks). I am specifically looking for a high mileage gts, so it might take some time to purchase. The gen 2 has been a dream car for me since the blue/white poster I had on my wall as a kid.

Anyone around the nyc area with a viper gts that would be open to showing me their car, and possibly start up/take me for a ride? Would be happy to throw in a 6 pack for your time.

Really just trying to experience the car in person - its hard to gauge from forum reviews or youtube clips on how "uncomfortable" a gen 2 really is, and how "dodge neon like" the interior quality is - imo, from the view of an uneducated potential viper owner, those issues seem like reasonable quirks to me

I realize this is a strange request so some background info: I am a 30 year old corporate stooge in nyc, spending way too much money on my old bmw beater toy, time to step up to a keeper car...happy to send you my linkedin privately to make sure I am not a wierdo prior to meetup.
    Last edited by veryslowcar; 02-24-2020 at 02:51 PM.

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Arizona
    For what it’s worth, I drove my gen 2 GTS across country, the seats were more comfortable than my Lexus LS. Once you are in I would say it’s very comfortable, getting in and out is not as easy as a regular sedan, and the ride is a bit on the stiff side, but I wouldn’t classify it as uncomfortable in any way. Heat and noise all depends on the car, stock, modified, etc. I wouldn’t hesitate to drive across country again, in fact I hope to in the fall.

Best of luck, I don’t think you will be disappointed.
    98 GTS
    70 LS6 Chevelle
    2014 Ftype V8S

Hopefully someone closer can help you out. If you were close to me in TN, you could check mine out.

We have a lot in common as I had the posters and models of the B/W GTS's also. Luckily I still have most of them.

I set out looking for one and it was a 2 year search. I had only seen 1 other B/W Gen 2 in person in my life, before I bought mine.

Hindsight, it was prob crazy to buy one sight unseen like I did, but everything turned out well, and what was on the wall, is now in the garage, and I couldn't be happier.

I say all this to say, I made up my mind a long time ago to own one. I didn't care if the ride was the worst in my life, or if the car was going to be a maintenance nightmare, I was going to have one. Was a bucket list goal and was #1 on the list. I'm a wrencher, so one not in the best shape worked for me. I've gained experience and enjoyment, fixing the car to the way I want it. I also wanted to enjoy driving it, and not worry about ruining a garage queen.

I can understand dreaming of something for most of you life, and then fulfilling it. Honestly, there wasn't a normal circumstance where I was going to hate having a B/W Gen2 GTS.

Get as much as you can afford, and be patient, but don't be afraid to jump on the one that checks your boxes, and speaks to you. Yours will pop up.

Good luck with your search.
    03 C5 Z06 - K&N filter, Corsa Sport Cat Back - Torch Red
    96 Viper GTS - Corsa Cat Back - Blue and White
    02 Honda S2000 - Fujita CAI, Invidia Single Cat Back, Comptech coils - Sebring Silver

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Arizona
    You should consider trading the wife for an RT/10.
    2001 VRY RT/10

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Might want to post in the North Eastern members region,check out when the next cars and coffee event is, or just look up dodge Vipers for sale and go and see one.

or Chuck Tators in NYS South Salem http://www.tatorsdodge.com/

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    NY/CT
    Hey,

Shoot me a PM. I’m in Nassau County, LI and have a Gen 2 GTS.

Can probably arrange something at a public place nearby, when the weather is nice.

Excuse any slight delay as I’m closing our books for work this week.

Matt-
    Matt-
    2002 GTS - Graphite Metallic with Silver Stripes

NY/CT VOA - find us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nyctvoa/

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    New England
    If you venture up to RI or MA we have quite a few up here, and the roads are clean enough to drive on right now. I'll have my 99 out this weekend.
    1999 GTS ACR - 1 of 30 Silver w/ blue

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Ive hooked a bunch of wanna-bees exactly this way.... since you are not in a hurry around a specific car, wait for better NE weather for a more meaningful test ride from TheTalonGuy etc.....

[Prepare to hate your Beemer afterwards.....]
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

I’m near NYC, but you’d have to wait til the roads are clear to really see mine. I am considering selling it, but 18,000 miles are probably too low for you.

Enthusiast
    What year and color is yours ? Stock or modified ?

Mine? B/W like the profile pic. Stock. Send me a PM if you’re a fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by TOMBOTT2014 View Post
    What year and color is yours ? Stock or modified ?
    Last edited by vipertank; 02-27-2020 at 09:40 PM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyb View Post
    For what it’s worth, I drove my gen 2 GTS across country, the seats were more comfortable than my Lexus LS. Once you are in I would say it’s very comfortable, getting in and out is not as easy as a regular sedan, and the ride is a bit on the stiff side, but I wouldn’t classify it as uncomfortable in any way. Heat and noise all depends on the car, stock, modified, etc. I wouldn’t hesitate to drive across country again, in fact I hope to in the fall.

Best of luck, I don’t think you will be disappointed.
    This.
    I absolutely hate the pedals position as I need to have my right foot at a 90 degree angle which makes me loose the blood in my foot and so on.
    But the seats are soooo comfortable. Not good on tracks, but ont he road they're absolutely terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyb View Post
    I drove my GTS on a 6,600 mile cross country trip and it was the most comfortable ride I've had. The reviews about the harsh ride being a kidney buster do not take into account the long distance comfort and are probably relevant to city drivers and concrete expansion joints. Long legged (inseam 33+) drivers might have an issue with the lack of a dead pedal. Age can also be a factor with ingress/egress.
    97 Viper GTS --- 99 YZF R1 --- 00 R1100 RT --- 01 Bullet C500 --- 07 Ram 1500 MegaCab --- 09 Triumph America --- 13 Outback 3.6R --- 22 Cybertruck DM

Quote Originally Posted by AviP View Post
    I drove my GTS on a 6,600 mile cross country trip and it was the most comfortable ride I've had. The reviews about the harsh ride being a kidney buster do not take into account the long distance comfort and are probably relevant to city drivers and concrete expansion joints. Long legged (inseam 33+) drivers might have an issue with the lack of a dead pedal. Age can also be a factor with ingress/egress.
    I Agree, on the 700+ mile journey home the car was surprisingly comfortable. The lack of Dead pedal was probably the most noticeable thing, as it puts my Knee up around the headlight switch most of the time cruising.
    03 C5 Z06 - K&N filter, Corsa Sport Cat Back - Torch Red
    96 Viper GTS - Corsa Cat Back - Blue and White
    02 Honda S2000 - Fujita CAI, Invidia Single Cat Back, Comptech coils - Sebring Silver

Web Site Committee
    Tech Team
    Moved this to the NY/CT region area.
    2008 SRT10 Open Roof (1 of 2)
    2014 SRT8 JGC Closed Roof (Gone and missed)
    2018 Range Rover Sport Dynamic
    Resident Misanthrope

Ed Massena
    VOA National Secretary
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    NY/CT
    As several have said - this will be much easier when salt clears and warm weather hits... you don't really want a Viper ride on frozen tires anyway :-)

Having said that, when the tires are warm, they're really a pleasure to ride in (no bias of course). I own a Gen 3 and Gen 5, but I spent 1 full day cruising shotgun in a Gen2 GTS from Phoenix to Vegas and it was awesome. No fatigue for the passenger.

The materials are not Bentley or anything, but they're also far from Dodge Neon I think... the design has aged so much better than most 90s cars and the whole experience feels more special than "plastic parts" might lead you to envision.

I know it's not what you're looking for now, but for what it's worth, I've driven my Gen 3 from NY to New Orleans with no fatigue also.
    NY/CT VOA - find us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nyctvoa/

Web Site Committee
    Tech Team
    Quote Originally Posted by SlateEd View Post
    (no bias of course). .
    Ya think?

Biased? YES! But he's speaking the truth nonetheless.
    2008 SRT10 Open Roof (1 of 2)
    2014 SRT8 JGC Closed Roof (Gone and missed)
    2018 Range Rover Sport Dynamic
    Resident Misanthrope

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    NY/CT
    Quote Originally Posted by SlateEd View Post
    As several have said - this will be much easier when salt clears and warm weather hits... you don't really want a Viper ride on frozen tires anyway :-)

I own a Gen 3 and Gen 5,
    Sure you do