Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New owner needing advice on replacing shocks and struts

Brand new viper momba owner, needing advice on suspension components. Car is bouncy when driving. Only have driven 300 miles because of snow. Took car car certified viper tech , $8000 to replace struts and shocks . Love car , but what do I do ?

Vipers don't have McPherson struts, they have coilover shocks. Vipers all have a high level of torsion preload on all the suspension bushings for a taut ride. It isn't all in the shocks. How many miles?

Lots of options, stock shocks leak at any miles/after 15 years. Go aftermarket shocks and change them yourself, not a hard job. If you were close to me I would help. What is your location?
    You can teach a dog to fetch, therefore you teach a potato to dance! “Amazingly Bad Analogy”

Regional Director
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Ontario
    MCS is a great option that gives you adjustable settings for ride height and firmness......
    White Mamba ,

Certified Viper tech or not, do NOT pay $8k to replace your shocks with the same OEM crap that caused this problem in the first place. There are tons of other aftermarket options available at a substantially lower price point. Bonus points if you can do the install yourself, which is not all that hard on these cars.

I went with MCS shocks many years ago, and have been quite pleased. All in, it was around $5k for the version I went with. You can do better than that if you don't want separately adjustable compression damping, which IMO is not necessary for a street car. I hardly ever adjust mine. The adjustable ride height is certainly nice though, which you'd get with even the cheapest MCS option.

People have also had good luck with BC Racing coilovers:

https://www.bcracing-na.com/product/...iper-2003-2010

Those are WAY cheaper than what you were quoted, and will still likely work better than what you had for a long time. If they wear out, you could replace them 6-7 times for what you would have paid.

Viper techs may know their stuff (at least the good ones will), but it doesn't mean they have your best interests in mind. There are plenty of other Viper techs out there that will likely treat you far better, but they are becoming few and far between.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.04 @ 129.7, 1.81 60' (-100 ft DA, w/ 3.55s)

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    I just listed a set of stock shocks off my 2010 in the classifieds take a look.
    2000 GTS built/Paxton:Sold
    2013 GTS
    2010 SRT10 Coupe

How many miles?how much
    Thx
    Jeff

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Southern California
    Tech Team
    The MCS system really improves the ride of the car and has quite a bit of adjustment. They use Motorsport valving which really controls the spring well. They also have great support.
    specialtyperformanceteam.com
    310-597-6295

Enthusiast
    Question regarding BC Coilovers? How low do the BC coilovers drop vs OEM height? In other words at the highest setting how low would they be compared to OEM?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcarviper View Post
    Question regarding BC Coilovers? How low do the BC coilovers drop vs OEM height? In other words at the highest setting how low would they be compared to OEM?
    I have BC, I don't know how low they can go, but I seriously doubt you would want to go that low anyway. Mine are set conservatively and I plan on raising them up, once I get motivated enough.

Steven_ElCucui-25.jpg
    Steven_ElCucui-02.jpg
    06 Srt10 Coupe, 16 Kia Sportage

V10 Time

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Shifty: Take a look at adjustable Aldan Eagles. www.partsrack.com

Aluminum vs steel.
    Made in USA vs Asia.
    Lifetime Warrantee vs 90 days.

Under $1500 all 4 !!

Thanks

JonB@PartsRack.com
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman2006 View Post
    I have BC, I don't know how low they can go, but I seriously doubt you would want to go that low anyway. Mine are set conservatively and I plan on raising them up, once I get motivated enough.

Steven_ElCucui-25.jpg
    Steven_ElCucui-02.jpg
    Wasn't looking to go that low. I saw reference to a min 2" drop with BC which I'm thinking is too aggressive but it also mentions extreme kit. The ride heights of your looks like an improvement to OEM and the car looks great!

i second the bc comment. this is my second car with it. i had 25k on the stockers and they were all over the road i was scared to drive the car anytime it hit a bump the back end would wiggle.

Wasn't looking to go that low. I saw reference to a min 2" drop with BC which I'm thinking is too aggressive but it also mentions extreme kit. The ride heights of your looks like an improvement to OEM and the car looks great!
    Thanks, man. Mine is the standard kit, which could certainly be set with less than a 2" drop e.i. closer to stock height if you wanted to. Good luck shopping around, there are a lot of options.

V10 Time

Enthusiast
    what setting do you have your at?

VOA Member
    since 2016
    Indiana/Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    Shifty: Take a look at adjustable Aldan Eagles. www.partsrack.com

Aluminum vs steel.
    Made in USA vs Asia.
    Lifetime Warrantee vs 90 days.

Under $1500 all 4 !!

Thanks

JonB@PartsRack.com
    Jon - any thoughts on where these "fit" or compare to the MCS Single-Adjustable? I've been putting it off but with 55k on my 2008 ACR, I'm thinking I need to do shocks soon.

Thank you!

Darren

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    Brand new viper momba owner, needing advice on suspension components. Car is bouncy when driving. Only have driven 300 miles because of snow. Took car car certified viper tech , $8000 to replace struts and shocks . Love car , but what do I do ?
    I would suggest you look at the date codes on your tires as well. They could just be old and hard as a rock. But the other suggestions for shocks is correct anything decent and adjustable is going to ride much better then stock when setup properly.
    2010 ACR SSG ~750hp Very Track Focused.

what setting do you have your at?
    They don't have height settings so to speak, it's infinitely adjustable. Most of us measure the distance from the wheel arch to the center of the hub to set the height. After I put the wheels back on and took the car off jack stands, I measured the gap between the tires and wheel arch and measured wheel arch to rim center, to make sure every thing was balanced. I didn't have to make any adjustments, some guys reported slight variations that required minor adjustments to individual struts.

As for dampening, mine are set to the softer side, I don't track my car so I don't need super stiff suspension.

V10 Time

MCS and done.
    Current: 2014 SRT Gunmetal Pearl w/Black Stripes

Previous: 2005 Black SRT-10

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cragin View Post
    The MCS system really improves the ride of the car and has quite a bit of adjustment. They use Motorsport valving which really controls the spring well. They also have great support.
    Quote Originally Posted by parabs View Post
    MCS and done.
    Yes and yes, and yes I have them on my 2008. Great for track and street with great support as well.
    As long as it is not yellow.

Enthusiast
    So i ended up getting my own BC and installation was easy enough (2003 with Sidewinder II wheels). Question for those that have BC Coilovers are any of you experiencing inner wheel liner rubbing in the rear? I have been messing with setting and keep getting a bit of inner wheel liner rubbing over bumps (nothing major but..), I'm practically at OEM height which is not the nicest to look at. I've slightly increased spring compression and looking to take it for a test drive in the next couple of days to see if that helps. Any suggestions?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

How about letting us know where you are , as the person installing can often be as important as the product . Have to admit , like Dan Cragin , I am very biased towards the MCS systems , and 8K is a bit much in most cases!

Let us know and then we can maybe send you to a great source close by , or at least possibly let you know a solid installer near you if you buy somewhere else.
    Concierge Coordinator for Luxury and Performance Vehicles within the Woodhouse Auto Family ( now 18 Stores ) Yep, I am still working , ha,ha!!

Enthusiast
    Toronto Canada is where I'm located. As for install I did it myself which wasn't all that difficult to be honest. Took it for a spin today and have an occasional wheel rub in one of the rear wheel liners. The spacing i have between my spaner nut is 1.5" in the rear and from what i gather many are running at 1" or 1 1/4". Any suggestions?

VOA Member
    since 2014
    North Texas

Had that issue on my Gen II.

Replaced shocks ... no good.

Turned out is was the alignment.

Would go there before spending lots of $$$.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast