Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Mandeville, LA
    Posts
    17

    Tr6060 rebuild recommendations

    Looking to rebuild my transmission and upgrade the syncros as shifting 2 to 3 has been getting tougher and going into 5th on the racetrack has been a pain. Has anyone done the Tick Performance Stage 2? I was looking at that package, but haven't seen much talk about them.

    Where are some places to look for that type of rebuild/upgrade package?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Enthusiast SLP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    174
    RPM, Nth, and Calvo, all seem to do similar rebuilds for our TR6060s at the 1000 or less hp level to solve that issue. When I was researching who to go with, I read some unfavorable things about Tick and how their rebuilt T56 viper transmissions performed so I discounted them as an option. Nth and Calvo have a great reputation but were more costly than RPM. I figured I was going to go with RPM because of price/feedback/reputation. Then I reached out to Nth and they had a slightly used TR6060 that they had built and were willing to sell me for cheaper. I got to keep my oem transmission and their price was fair so I went with them. I appreciated that nth was willing to sell me a used transmission that they built and one of their used carbon clutches for a relatively fair price. Aaron also responded promptly to all my emails and answered all my questions. Obligatory don't take your transmission to dodge.
    Last edited by SLP; 03-06-2020 at 04:23 PM.
    2013 GTS - Self Installed Heads/Valvetrain/Cam/Custom Exhaust. Triple carbon clutch and built tr6060.

  3. #3
    Enthusiast Jack B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    3,603
    At least talk with John Donato, he was the driveline engineer for the Gen1 and Gen2. Very few, if any know the Tremec's better than John. No matter who you pick, make sure they do the trans in-house.
    Self tuned HPT 10.85@130 mph (DA=+1000)
    [B]Arrow Heads & Cam - best run is coming
    (Sold) 1997 Red/White -10.9/129 MPH

  4. #4
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Central North Florida
    98intrigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    1,409
    My transmission is at RPM now being rebuilt due to the problematic 2-3 shift.
    Ryan - 14 Stryker Green Nth Moto Heads/Cam
    Past - 14 Stryker Green VE Stage II Heads/Cam, '16 ACR-E, '14 Anodized Carbon, '14 TA, Orange '03 Paxton vert w/coupe rear, Black '06 coupe w/SSG accents

  5. #5
    Enthusiast 2bren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    15
    I had to have an entirely new TR6060 installed when my synchros went (replaced under warranty).

    +1 for Calvo or Nth
    2013 Viper GTS // Bolt Ons + Nitrous
    Instagram: @5bren
    Facebook: @blanchard

  6. #6
    VOA Member
    since 2017
    South Florida
    Unlimtd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    At least talk with John Donato, he was the driveline engineer for the Gen1 and Gen2. Very few, if any know the Tremec's better than John. No matter who you pick, make sure they do the trans in-house.
    Plus one. If John is still doing it, he is the best. He took my then stock Gen III tranny, disassembled it;shot ballpeened it; and changed the fifth and sixth gears to make it a true six speed. A side benefit was the elimination of NGR. With the short shifter, the whole thing worked like butta. You do not ship the car. You have the tranny pulled and ship it to John.
    Semper SRT. Proud owner of 2014 Viper TA, 2019 Challenger Redeye Hellcat, 2018 Trackhawk and supercharged 2008 SRT8 Grand Cherokee.

  7. #7
    Enthusiast Jack B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    3,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimtd View Post
    Plus one. If John is still doing it, he is the best. He took my then stock Gen III tranny, disassembled it;shot ballpeened it; and changed the fifth and sixth gears to make it a true six speed. A side benefit was the elimination of NGR. With the short shifter, the whole thing worked like butta. You do not ship the car. You have the tranny pulled and ship it to John.
    John is still very active. He also has a custom molded shipping container, pull the trans, have him send you the container for shipment.
    Self tuned HPT 10.85@130 mph (DA=+1000)
    [B]Arrow Heads & Cam - best run is coming
    (Sold) 1997 Red/White -10.9/129 MPH

  8. #8
    Enthusiast stradman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    1,130
    So can I ask apart from rebuilding the gearbox back to original OEM standards are there any improvements/modifications that one can make to it to make it cope better with beefier engine outputs??

  9. #9
    Enthusiast SLP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    174
    Rpm has a good list of modifications to our trans that work well apparently for <1xxxwhp. Once you get over that, spray bars and other features come into play. https://www.rpmtransmissions.com/page37.html
    2013 GTS - Self Installed Heads/Valvetrain/Cam/Custom Exhaust. Triple carbon clutch and built tr6060.

  10. #10
    VOA Member
    since 2017
    South Florida
    Unlimtd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by stradman View Post
    So can I ask apart from rebuilding the gearbox back to original OEM standards are there any improvements/modifications that one can make to it to make it cope better with beefier engine outputs??
    The shot peening I referred to above is done to strengthen the components. My former supercharged Gen III ran 778 HP at the flywheel.
    Semper SRT. Proud owner of 2014 Viper TA, 2019 Challenger Redeye Hellcat, 2018 Trackhawk and supercharged 2008 SRT8 Grand Cherokee.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    RPM, Nth, and Calvo, all seem to do similar rebuilds for our TR6060s at the 1000 or less hp level to solve that issue. When I was researching who to go with, I read some unfavorable things about Tick and how their rebuilt T56 viper transmissions performed so I discounted them as an option. Nth and Calvo have a great reputation but were more costly than RPM. I figured I was going to go with RPM because of price/feedback/reputation. Then I reached out to Nth and they had a slightly used TR6060 that they had built and were willing to sell me for cheaper. I got to keep my oem transmission and their price was fair so I went with them. I appreciated that nth was willing to sell me a used transmission that they built and one of their used carbon clutches for a relatively fair price. Aaron also responded promptly to all my emails and answered all my questions. Obligatory don't take your transmission to dodge.

    What have you heard about Tick? I haven't had any problems with them.


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •