Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

5k mile 2014 GTS total motor FAILURE

UPDATE:CAR IS APPROVED FOR A MOTOR FROM DODGE AFTER VE STATED IT WAS MECHANICAL AND NOT DUE TO INSUFFICIENT LUBRICATION.

So I made a post a couple of days ago about my car throwing a code stating I had an air leak around my intake manifold. Well, I just learned today after having the car towed to viper exchange that my car dropped a valve.... 5k miles. The motor is trashed. I just bought the car a month ago. The car still has 3 years of powertrain warranty but when brought to dodge they stated the car doesn't have any oil changes on record except for one in 2018 and the one I had preformed after buying it. Therefore voiding my warranty because they're supposed to be done every 6 months. Has anyone been through a similar experience?
    Last edited by GTSJake; 03-24-2020 at 04:34 PM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Carolinas
    That's BS. The previous owner(s) could have changed the oil themselves. A manufacturer can't mandate that you take the car to the dealership for an oil change. VE needs to make this right.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance
    Last edited by outnumbered; 03-23-2020 at 04:56 PM.
    2014 Carbon Edition GTS/TA #42
    2014 Orange TA #35 of 93 Vengeance Racing H/C Torrie tuned - 666/620 - SOLD
    2014 Carbon Edition GTS - plaqued #7 of 35 cars made - SOLD

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Indiana/Kentucky
    I could see negligence and their stance if there was no oil in it however I would be challenging that one for sure. Not sure the history of ownership but is there anyway to track down the owner(s) to see if they have any record of changes during that period? Not that it should really matter as Outnumbered mentioned; not everyone documents their own oil changes and for that point really anyone could easily create a personal record at anytime if they wanted to. Hope it gets sorted easily for you.

Assuming they sold you the car (you indicated they did in your previous post) - if the powertrain warranty was questionable, they should have disclosed that prior to your purchase. Would you have bought it otherwise?

Don't let them off the hook. It'd be worth your while to lawyer up - a new Viper motor ain't cheap.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.04 @ 129.7, 1.81 60' (-100 ft DA, w/ 3.55s)

Quote Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
    That's BS. The previous owner(s) could have changed the oil themselves. A manufacturer can't mandate that you take the car to the dealership for an oil change. VE needs to make this right.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance
    That's exactly how I'm feeling. That link you provided may be a very valuable piece of information for me in the coming battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    Assuming they sold you the car (you indicated they did in your previous post) - if the powertrain warranty was questionable, they should have disclosed that prior to your purchase. Would you have bought it otherwise?

Don't let them off the hook. It'd be worth your while to lawyer up - a new Viper motor ain't cheap.
    Honestly im in shock! We shall see how dodge responds to the coming emails from VE.

We’ve certainly had guys have engine failures as Dodge trying to void claims, I’d say do a search but you’d probably get a ton of results. We’ve seen some sketchy and ugly warranty dodging (pun intended), this certainly seems like another. Wish you well, VE, I believe had one before that got a weird denial and we all figured since it was VE, they’d get it covered, but failed, and that was when Andy was there. This is one of those items that it’s not a good thing when you say - it’s not your father’s Dodge. They use to be so good, now, With 5 vipers of ownership over 20 years, I assume Dodge would do nothing to help me with an issue, sad. Good luck, this def sounds ridiculous.
    Last edited by Dman; 03-23-2020 at 05:16 PM.
    McLaren 650s Spyder. Ex’s ‘16 ACR, VE H/C, '13 GTS, '99 RT/10, '03 SRT, '08 SRT. - 'God bless America, all 8.4 liters' - R.Pobst

Quote Originally Posted by GTS-e View Post
    I could see negligence and their stance if there was no oil in it however I would be challenging that one for sure. Not sure the history of ownership but is there any way to track down the owner(s) to see if they have any record of changes during that period? Not that it should really matter as Outnumbered mentioned; not everyone documents their own oil changes and for that point really anyone could easily create a personal record at any time if they wanted to. I hope it gets sorted easily for you.
    The car just had a fresh oil change at the exact time of purchase. Even after the problem occurred, I pulled the dipstick and further confirmed that the car did, in fact, have the correct amount of oil. Dodge is going to try and squirm out of this any way they can.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Carolinas
    I had to go through a motor change on my first 14. Hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    We’ve certainly had guys have engine failures as Dodge trying to void claims, I’d say do a search but you’d probably get a ton of results. We’ve seen some sketchy and ugly warranty dodging (pun intended), this certainly seems like another. Wish you well, VE, I believe had one before that got a weird denial and we all figured since it was VE, they’d get it covered, but failed, and that was when Andy was there. This is one of those items that it’s not a good thing when you say - it’s not your father’s Dodge. They use to be so good, now, With 5 vipers of ownership over 20 years, I assume Dodge would do nothing to help me with an issue, sad. Good luck, this def sounds ridiculous.
    Thanks for the input. Hoping this gets resolved sooner than later. But with the current situation of the world (COVID-19) I don't think they're very eager to hand out 35k on a new motor swap.

Quote Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
    I had to go through a motor change on my first 14. Hang in there.
    The amount of motor failures I've seen on this forum and other sites is appalling.

Enthusiast
    Sorry to hear about this. That is a huge bummer. I had posted about another motor failure a month or so ago. Much higher mileage though. Seems not all the bad motors have been found just yet.

I was searching for a gen V and between these two threads and covid I’ve decided to firmly pause that pursuit.

To me, this sounds pretty cut and dry. You acted in good faith by making sure an oil change was done prior to taking delivery of the car. You can't control what the previous owner did or did not do, but that shouldn't matter - you bought it from one of the most reputable Viper dealers in the country. Yeah, you could hold out for one that had every last receipt known to man, but no one should ever have to do that for a car that's sold through a reputable dealer with an apparently in-tact powertrain warranty.

Someone down there has to know a lawyer that would be willing to take up the case. Ideally, you wouldn't even have to come out of pocket, but I don't know if you'll be that lucky. Either way, they are counting on you not fighting by frustrating you to no end. Don't let them win.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.04 @ 129.7, 1.81 60' (-100 ft DA, w/ 3.55s)

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Carolinas
    If Dodge does not honor the warranty, VE should take care of this. In my opinion, this ends with them. If there was any chance of this being an issue for the buyer, VE should have done a better job of vetting the history prior to purchase.

I hope you make out well with a warranty I would fight hard for it. But if not look on the bright side a nice Prefix 9L will put a smile back on your face!
    Good luck
    https://store.prefix.com/products/vi...-xtreme-engine
    2014 TA orange #55

I hate this 6 months nonsense. My car has about 200 miles on it since the oil was changes in September, and now, 6 months, we're on lockdown due to virus. So the Viper ain't leaving the battery tender for the forseeable future.

I would think VE would make it right, but with Andy, and now Bernie, gone, who knows?
    2013 Dodge Viper SRT Track Pack Adrenaline Red
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab 5.7L 4x4 Blue Streak Pearl

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    As others have said the manufacturer cannot void your warranty because they have no record of regular maintenance. You are not required by law to take the car to the dealer for maintenance. Get a lawyer and have them write a demand letter to Dodge (to include their fee). Dodge will relent as it will cost them way more to litigate and they would lose. The law is quite clear.

By the way, the main problem that Dodge had with the engines was a failure by the block manufacturer to clean the block of debris. This tended to cause bearing failure. Maybe it can also cause valve failure? Did the car have R28 done? If it was Dodge would have changed the oil and filter and checked it for debris. If it failed they replaced the engine, if it passed they extended the powertrain warranty to 10 years/100,000 miles. I'm not sure though if R28 applied to ALL Model Year 14. It applied to mine.
    Last edited by ViperGeorge; 03-23-2020 at 06:20 PM.
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

I thought you had up to 1yr to change your oil. I could be wrong, but I swear Eddie Martin and I talked about this last year.
    2015 Competition Blue with Graphite Stripes
    Pilot of Comp Coupe Chassis #4 and Chassis # 120

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGeorge View Post
    As others have said the manufacturer cannot void your warranty because they have no record of regular maintenance. You are not required by law to take the car to the dealer for maintenance. Get a lawyer and have them write a demand letter to Dodge (to include their fee). Dodge will relent as it will cost them way more to litigate and they would lose. The law is quite clear.

By the way, the main problem that Dodge had with the engines was a failure by the block manufacturer to clean the block of debris. This tended to cause bearing failure. Maybe it can also cause valve failure? Did the car have R28 done? If it was Dodge would have changed the oil and filter and checked it for debris. If it failed they replaced the engine, if it passed they extended the powertrain warranty to 10 years/100,000 miles. I'm not sure though if R28 applied to ALL Model Year 14. It applied to mine.
    Car has the 10 year 100k mile warranty. So I’m assuming it might’ve passed?

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Sorry for your troubles.

And NO... the R-28 Recall did not apply to all 2014's. Our 2014 only got the R-29...and, therefore, it just had the standard warranty (though I did go Max Care to cover it through 7 years).
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

Enthusiast
    There was a recent post on one of the Viper groups on facebook where the owner flew across country to get records of oil changes from the previous owner so that Dodge would cover his engine failure under warranty. He apparently thought that it was that necessary. He reported that the failure symptom was rod knock at 29,000 miles.

Have they done any analysis to indicate that the cause of the failure is inadequate lubrication, or are they just denying the warranty before they know why the engine dropped a valve?
    Jim

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    NY/CT
    Lets pretend you didn't change the oil, someone needs to explain to me how that will lead to dropping a valve. Sounds like a spring or valve keeper failure...a metallurgical stress failure. Not failure to change the oil. This is total BS... It only had 5k miles, not 150k. FCA - lets crap on the people who shelled out the most money to buy our flagship automobiles.

I change my oil every 6 mos (receipts for everything) and send sample out to blackstone....proof. Go ahead FCA...try this crap on me.
    Last edited by Gen5snake; 03-23-2020 at 06:57 PM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulltilt View Post
    I thought you had up to 1yr to change your oil. I could be wrong, but I swear Eddie Martin and I talked about this last year.
    For what it is worth, the owner's manual has bolded statements:
    NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 6,000 miles (10 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first."
    and
    "CAUTION! Failure to perform the required maintenance items may result in damage to the vehicle."
    They are not new to Gen 5.
    Last edited by AZTVR; 03-23-2020 at 07:00 PM.
    Jim

no way this isnt covered under warraty..VE should tell fca that they inspected the car and put fresh oil in it.

Cant believe this even in question....

Sorry man.

As an alternate, maybe they can sell you the turbo genV engine sitting on the floor by la ferrari....

Regional Treasurer
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Houston
    This has been a trend by Chrysler for a while now, 6-9 months by memory since I first heard of it. VE will try, but be prepared for them failing by being prepared to lawyer up. Chrysler has yielded in the past when confronted with a determined owner accompanied by an attorney. Sad reality is the new FCA doesn’t give a damn about Viper owners, it is a car from their past and customer service hasn’t been a Viper strength since about 2002. Good luck.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast