Carolinas
    4 days ago....I say April Fools.
    2014 Carbon Edition GTS/TA #42
    2014 Orange TA #35 of 93 Vengeance Racing H/C Torrie tuned - 666/620 - SOLD
    2014 Carbon Edition GTS - plaqued #7 of 35 cars made - SOLD

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

After driving a new Taycan S at our Porsche Store in Omaha ( my son Ryan is a Salesman there) I have to say I hope the next Viper ( whether 2022, 2023, 2024 or beyond ) is electric or hybrid. Sitting, first , in the passenger seat , Ryan hammered the pedal and I was shocked at the initial grunt, banging my head on the back of the seat. I know I will be brutalized for mentioning this, but the Viper name I can not believe will be left dormant. The buyer is different , just like many of us were 20-50 years ago, but speed is the drug that will propel performance for time immemorial. I would prefer the same look ( short deck, long hood) and hybrid power, yet I have had to slowly recognize it has to be different to sell. After riding and then driving the Taycan I had an epiphany -- crap is that thing fun. I am old school, but I am also into very rapid motive power and handling and this machine energizes me - yeh, bad pun.

I know there are those at FCA that have worked on Electrics in the past, and I know those projects are not dead in the new corporate scheme with PSA, so.............

Likely an April Fools post above, but the name dying in the future, just like the car, makes no sense to the continued growth of the Corporation. Kind of like letting the name Hemi die, they learned that lesson before and whether a V6 or V8 or whatever is in the future , that name will continue. Heck, look at Porsche, the top Taycan is a Turbo S and there is no Turbo anywhere in sight. They learned the importance of name recognition and it is crazy to some, but it is instant knowledge to the buyer that this is the top of the line.

Looking forward to the next Viper, in a few years , in a decade, whatever it will be reborn!
    Concierge Coordinator for Luxury and Performance Vehicles within the Woodhouse Auto Family ( now 18 Stores ) Yep, I am still working , ha,ha!!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Ontario
    Right on Bill...as always! Porsche will be one of the majors to slowly change minds and seduce even the old school crowd. Many will choose to keep an analogue rocket in the garage for occasional use and that's cool. Electric cars can be cool too, they just haven't been particularly so far.
    2014 SRT Black TA, extreme special occasion fun. Last of the 159 built. Thanks to Ralph and Team Viper for an incredible Viper!
    2019 Porsche 991.2 Turbo S, fun 3 season DD.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)
    Reminds me of the movie I Robot with Will Smith having a throwback motorcycle tucked away in a storage locker. The world is a changing.
    2008 Venom Red Coupe
    2009 BMW K1300GT Premium Blue
    1983 CB1100F Blue 1980 CBX-A Black

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    It will likely be an old electric engine out of a Truck

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

Damn, Fatboy, as fellow Nebraskan "Larry the Cable Guy," would say, " I don't care who you are that is damn funny!!!!!!"
    Concierge Coordinator for Luxury and Performance Vehicles within the Woodhouse Auto Family ( now 18 Stores ) Yep, I am still working , ha,ha!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    After driving a new Taycan S at our Porsche Store in Omaha ( my son Ryan is a Salesman there) I have to say I hope the next Viper ( whether 2022, 2023, 2024 or beyond ) is electric or hybrid. Sitting, first , in the passenger seat , Ryan hammered the pedal and I was shocked at the initial grunt, banging my head on the back of the seat. I know I will be brutalized for mentioning this, but the Viper name I can not believe will be left dormant. The buyer is different , just like many of us were 20-50 years ago, but speed is the drug that will propel performance for time immemorial. I would prefer the same look ( short deck, long hood) and hybrid power, yet I have had to slowly recognize it has to be different to sell. After riding and then driving the Taycan I had an epiphany -- crap is that thing fun. I am old school, but I am also into very rapid motive power and handling and this machine energizes me - yeh, bad pun.

I know there are those at FCA that have worked on Electrics in the past, and I know those projects are not dead in the new corporate scheme with PSA, so.............

Likely an April Fools post above, but the name dying in the future, just like the car, makes no sense to the continued growth of the Corporation. Kind of like letting the name Hemi die, they learned that lesson before and whether a V6 or V8 or whatever is in the future , that name will continue. Heck, look at Porsche, the top Taycan is a Turbo S and there is no Turbo anywhere in sight. They learned the importance of name recognition and it is crazy to some, but it is instant knowledge to the buyer that this is the top of the line.

Looking forward to the next Viper, in a few years , in a decade, whatever it will be reborn!
    As someone who LOVES their Viper, and LOVES their electric sports car I would love to see a hybrid super car come out looking like a Viper. Torque vectoring technology is the future, instant power delivery with 4 wheel launch control is the future. Its an amazing thing to experience first hand. I would never want to get rid of the Viper! I would like something like the new NSX but with the ability to make it raw with a push of a button.
    Jon
    2013 Viper GTS w/Track Pack --- 2018 Tesla P3D+ --- 2001 S2000 --- 2013 Limited F-150 --- 2013 Polaris Pro-R --- 2009 XR1200 --- 2018 Grom --- 1991 Honda Beat

Regional Director
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Ontario
    There was an interview recently with Ralph and he mentioned IF the Viper nameplate where to comeback , it would be to debut a New cutting Edge Technology . Think it was on Auto-line Detroit .
    White Mamba ,

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Northern California

I saw the Taycan in person last January when shopping at a Audi/Porsche dealership for an Audi SUV, possibly the electric E-Tron (great car by the way).
    The Taycan looked pretty damn awesome.

Sooooo, if you think that the "Dodge brand" will be able to complete with the Taycan, Tesla sports car or any other brand that is many years ahead of the curve against a possible electric Viper (or even a hybrid version) it will definitely fail. Remember how hated the Hummer brand was by the Eco-Nazi crowd in the mid 2000's?......everybody thought the Hummer brand was going to use up all the fuel in the world, destroy the climate and got terrible mileage. So what does GM do now, they name their new electric vehicle "Hummer". I'm surprised they didn't buy the name "Yugo" and run with that.....at least that car was known to be semi efficient.

The success of any future Viper will not be based on the type of energy that makes the power, but the marketing associated with it. Although not apples to apples, Ford did a decent job with the new Ford GT super car. Epic looks, pretty damn impressive performance but honestly, probably the worse riding and most cramped vehicle I've ever been driven in. If riding with your bud and you're each near 200 lbs, be prepared to always be touching each others shoulders and have plenty of breath mints available.

Digital music storage and streaming is all the rage, even CD's have been left behind. But you know what still has a small but loyal following, vinyl records. Old school, hard to handle, inconvenient and most importantly, you actually have to have some talent to be able to operate a record player and put the record on. If there is a new Viper, it should be the "vinyl record" of the super car world.. That doesn't mean it lacks the technology available, but it should be different, quirky and unique. There are enough people in the world that can afford that and want to be different than what is "popular".....I would suggest that if marketed correctly you could sell 4000-5000 units per year. But marketing has never been the strong suit of Dodge except for the first generation Viper.

It is not all about speed or ultimate performance....there is so much more about a vehicle than that. Personally, my favorite cars are my Viper, 40 hp air cooled VW Bettles, 1980's 4x4 SUV's and my most favorite car I own, an H1 Hummer. I am not anti EV (big supporter actually) but I do know what I like and it's not always going with the crowd. Pretty much what the Viper mantra has always been.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    NY/CT
    To me electric is sterile and boring. Electric motors, instant torque...yada...yada...yada....boring. Part of the thrill is having all those mechanical parts moving in sync and enjoying the roar at redline. The quest with adding more power to an internal combustion engine...all the research...aftermarket parts....getting your hands dirty...tuning. This stubborn old school mind will not change...especially since I'm a mechanical engineer...I'm totally biased.

VOA Member
    since 2019
    South Florida
    Guys, has anyone been paying attention to the financial condition of FCA? How would this sort of project be funded? FCA is right now using and re-using existing platforms on as many models as possible, and has delayed the introduction of new models much longer than intended in an effort to squeeze as much as juice as possible from every imaginable permutation of existing engines with existing platforms. Ever wonder why there is a Hellcat motor in everything? Or why now everything will get a "widebody" version with tacked on fenders?

As much as I love the idea of a new Viper, it ain't happening for a very, very long time. Before Corona, I would have guessed a 10 year pause before the Viper nameplate was revived (i.e. a 2027 model). But now, with global shutdowns and car sales cratering, any thought of a new tech sportscar platform just went out the window for probably another 5-10 years.

That said, I agree that the nameplate will be back. But it is not going to be anytime soon. And if they bring it back too soon, then that just means that they would be slapping it onto something that would not be worthy of the name. Developing a genuine and worthy successor will take lots of time and $$$.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    NY/CT
    Totally agree.

VOA Member
    since 2019
    South Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackAire View Post
    I saw the Taycan in person last January when shopping at a Audi/Porsche dealership for an Audi SUV, possibly the electric E-Tron (great car by the way).
    The Taycan looked pretty damn awesome.

Sooooo, if you think that the "Dodge brand" will be able to complete with the Taycan, Tesla sports car or any other brand that is many years ahead of the curve against a possible electric Viper (or even a hybrid version) it will definitely fail. Remember how hated the Hummer brand was by the Eco-Nazi crowd in the mid 2000's?......everybody thought the Hummer brand was going to use up all the fuel in the world, destroy the climate and got terrible mileage. So what does GM do now, they name their new electric vehicle "Hummer". I'm surprised they didn't buy the name "Yugo" and run with that.....at least that car was known to be semi efficient.

The success of any future Viper will not be based on the type of energy that makes the power, but the marketing associated with it. Although not apples to apples, Ford did a decent job with the new Ford GT super car. Epic looks, pretty damn impressive performance but honestly, probably the worse riding and most cramped vehicle I've ever been driven in. If riding with your bud and you're each near 200 lbs, be prepared to always be touching each others shoulders and have plenty of breath mints available.

Digital music storage and streaming is all the rage, even CD's have been left behind. But you know what still has a small but loyal following, vinyl records. Old school, hard to handle, inconvenient and most importantly, you actually have to have some talent to be able to operate a record player and put the record on. If there is a new Viper, it should be the "vinyl record" of the super car world.. That doesn't mean it lacks the technology available, but it should be different, quirky and unique. There are enough people in the world that can afford that and want to be different than what is "popular".....I would suggest that if marketed correctly you could sell 4000-5000 units per year. But marketing has never been the strong suit of Dodge except for the first generation Viper.

It is not all about speed or ultimate performance....there is so much more about a vehicle than that. Personally, my favorite cars are my Viper, 40 hp air cooled VW Bettles, 1980's 4x4 SUV's and my most favorite car I own, an H1 Hummer. I am not anti EV (big supporter actually) but I do know what I like and it's not always going with the crowd. Pretty much what the Viper mantra has always been.
    ^^^ Amen.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

Yet, if we address the doom prognosticators it would be the exact historical imperative that launched the Snake in the first place. Could we see the downturn launch the phoenix like rebirth of the Viper for the very same reason economics brought it out in 1992???

Fun to ponder and listen to the words of Ralph and others ----------- FCA is not actually that far behind at all considering the Marquees under it's umbrella now and in the future with PSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    Yet, if we address the doom prognosticators it would be the exact historical imperative that launched the Snake in the first place. Could we see the downturn launch the phoenix like rebirth of the Viper for the very same reason economics brought it out in 1992???

Fun to ponder and listen to the words of Ralph and others ----------- FCA is not actually that far behind at all considering the Marquees under it's umbrella now and in the future with PSA.
    Respectfully, I don't know if that is true. Jaguar and BMW are essentially "all in" on electrics. Many of their designs are due to be released within the next six months or so. The flagship for Jaguar (XJ) has been under development and is due this year and rumors have it that both electric and hydrocarbon models will be used in a new architecture. I think others are way further along the Fiat. It is also a bad time to be "catching up" with the bad economy.

I agree that it is fun to ponder the future. Obviously, Ralph would have more of an insight...

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

I guess I am an optimist as I know FCA was working on concepts quite awhile ago, and they are so super secretive about what is going on. They had the Fiat 500 quite awhile back, there are hybrids with the Ram, and you have the various Manufacturers from the PSA group, and even with some of the changes within the Ferrari organization the technical expertise is still shared within the FCA family. I would prefer a hybrid anyway, as I think the idea of long range capabilities with big power from both technologies, makes more economic sense? Either way we will see the trend in the near future, since it always seems like adversity causes dramatic changes in the automotive industry and I for one have always been amazed at what happens in the end run.

Regional Director
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Ontario
    On a side note Ferrari has no immediate plans for a hybrid sports car , given the added weight and early technology limitations.
    That was mentioned about 6 months ago. From what I read Graphene May help with the weight penalty ...
    White Mamba ,

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)
    Gas at $1.50 a gallon or some predict below a dollar...........long live the internal combustion engine. On the other hand, I cannot even go turkey hunting at my property (burning cheap gas in my Ram 2500 6.4L) in KY because they have suspended all non-resident licenses. What a world we are living in. Next 60 degree day here the Viper slithers out of hibernation in a proper way.
    2008 Venom Red Coupe
    2009 BMW K1300GT Premium Blue
    1983 CB1100F Blue 1980 CBX-A Black

All I can say whenever and whatever they do to the viper, I just hope it gives me the same excitement that I get every time I take my car out for a drive.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    New England
    As a matter of economics I do not think the Viper will be back in focus for a very long time as the car was not exactly profitable for the company when it was being produced

Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Central North Florida
    5 litre V10 with an DSG would be nice...
    2013 Viper GTS Blue (no stripes!) with Sepia interior- only 4 made! WannaGOfast 1/2 MILE BEST OF 157.89 mph @ 600WHP
    2005 SRT10 Ram- lowered, T56 conversion, B&B longtubes, many other upgrades (my daily)
    1969 Mustang Fastback- 1973 Lincoln Mark IV- 1999 Avenger 3.8L - 2005 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by ACRSNK View Post
    As a matter of economics I do not think the Viper will be back in focus for a very long time as the car was not exactly profitable for the company when it was being produced
    Well, it was not all that profitable due to sales and platform. Regardless of what anyone likes about the Gen V, it was certainly not a fresh and exciting new design or a high HP car that left all others behind.
    If a possible new Viper can be delivered in a package that will cause some stir, then it may very well be successful, even in limited numbers

If it comes back with a V10 up front and a manual only, then don’t even bother. Plenty of great ways to produce a super car these days but don’t think our old Vipers will be able to compete unless some major changes are put in place

For those that are stuck, thinking that the last available platform is the best thing ever, there are plenty of used ones available to fill that need
    Last edited by commandomatt; 04-07-2020 at 11:05 AM.

VOA Member
    since 2014
    South Central Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen5snake View Post
    To me electric is sterile and boring. Electric motors, instant torque...yada...yada...yada....boring. Part of the thrill is having all those mechanical parts moving in sync and enjoying the roar at redline. The quest with adding more power to an internal combustion engine...all the research...aftermarket parts....getting your hands dirty...tuning. This stubborn old school mind will not change...especially since I'm a mechanical engineer...I'm totally biased.
    This
    2009 Viper Red ACR w/stripe delete & black/red interior (1 of 1)
    1997 b/w GTS....sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII, not stock

they will completely screw it up. let the viper be....dead.

they will bring it back as a 4 door or electric car somehow. lol
    THE IGNORE FEATURE WORKS, TRY IT...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast