Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1

    Odd discovery or normal

    Hey, I was just in my garage with the lights off and a flash light checking my oil cap because I had some "Oil Snot" on it. I shined the flashlight down the oil cap hole and saw this, not sure if it was from factory when they filled it up with oil with one of those guns, or machining error? not 100% sure

    https://imgur.com/a/hmioJ9d
    Last edited by SpeirsTheAmazingHD; 04-06-2020 at 09:23 PM.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Enthusiast Sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    St. Joseph, MO
    Posts
    96

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Thanks

  5. #5
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    ViperGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Greenwood Village, CO
    Posts
    2,909
    That's weird!
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

  6. #6
    Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    WV/PA
    Bryan Savage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Nowheresville, PA
    Posts
    770
    That is very weird. What's under the valve cover? An oil baffle?

    Here's mine.

    IMG_20200407_135547-01.jpg
    TA 37/93. 57,732 miles.
    IG: @platinumgrille
    • There is no slash in "TA".
    • Every thread you start is useless without photos.
    • Always post photos when asking questions, and learn to orient them correctly.
    • Do not start a thread that only contains a link to another site. Copy the article and tell us what's up.
    • Use the search function before starting a thread.
    • Joining the forums just to get help and then never coming back is low class. Join and stay!

  7. #7
    Enthusiast Steve M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    3,378
    My Gen 4 has what appears to be a machined baffle with two small holes. Not that it really helps in this situation, but that baffle appears to be cast, and not very well in the case of the OP.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.04 @ 129.7, 1.81 60' (-100 ft DA, w/ 3.55s)

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Savage View Post
    That is very weird. What's under the valve cover? An oil baffle?

    Here's mine.

    IMG_20200407_135547-01.jpg
    Yeah I don’t even know think anything touches right there to scratch it, so it must be factory but again I’m not 100% sure lol
    Last edited by SpeirsTheAmazingHD; 04-07-2020 at 01:36 PM.

  9. #9
    Enthusiast Steve M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    3,378
    It's either a casting defect, or something in your valve train is broken.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.04 @ 129.7, 1.81 60' (-100 ft DA, w/ 3.55s)

  10. #10
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    NY/CT
    ViperTony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,562
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    It's either a casting defect, or something in your valve train is broken.
    This...I'd remove the baffle and see what's going on there with the valve train, if anything.
    2016 ACR "ACR Steve White" by Woodhouse
    2001 RT/10 Greg Good Heads+Built Engine+Cam+Ported Intake and other goodies

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperTony View Post
    This...I'd remove the baffle and see what's going on there with the valve train, if anything.
    I feel like if something on the valve train was broken it would run perfectly fine like it is, also they look like surface scratches no?

  12. #12
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    ViperGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Greenwood Village, CO
    Posts
    2,909
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeirsTheAmazingHD View Post
    I feel like if something on the valve train was broken it would run perfectly fine like it is, also they look like surface scratches no?
    Hard to imagine that a piece of valve train would break and lodge itself there yet the engine runs fine. More than likely something got in there during engine build. Have you tried to grab it with something to see if it comes out? Almost looks like a material (non-metailic, like a rag or paper or cardboard) that is coated with oil.
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperGeorge View Post
    Hard to imagine that a piece of valve train would break and lodge itself there yet the engine runs fine. More than likely something got in there during engine build. Have you tried to grab it with something to see if it comes out? Almost looks like a material (non-metailic, like a rag or paper or cardboard) that is coated with oil.
    No? There isn’t anything that I can visibly see in there that would cause the scrapes, I’m not sure what you’re seeing that could be grabbed out? Or something that looks like a material in there?

  14. #14
    Enthusiast StrokerAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    156
    Looks to me like there was a small crack and someone tried to fix it and the crack got bigger after.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by StrokerAce View Post
    Looks to me like there was a small crack and someone tried to fix it and the crack got bigger after.
    Yikes yeah I defiantly don’t see that, it’s surface scratches no real depth to them I’m not sure how it could look like a crack, or how it would get cracked and someone try and fix it? It’s a 2016 Viper with tons of motor warranty left, and I doubt the factory would see a crack and try and fix it, they’d just replace the part haha

  16. #16
    Enthusiast StrokerAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    156
    The bottom 1/3rd looks like a crack but it's a picture so easy to misidentify.

    I would pull it apart. Just to be sure.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by StrokerAce View Post
    The bottom 1/3rd looks like a crack but it's a picture so easy to misidentify.

    I would pull it apart. Just to be sure.
    yeah that’s just the metal I just went in with the flash light again, it’s not a crack. But it’s in the shadows in that picture so easy mistake I guess. I’m more worried about the large clump of scrapes in the picture lol

  18. #18
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    NY/CT
    Gen5snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    368
    I'm seeing a scratch/gouge...is that what you're worried about? It's the back side of the baffle. Most likely happened during pre build. Nothing I would worry about. I'll gladly take that problem off your hands.

    Out of curiosity...They didn't need to replace the valve covers (recall) on the 2016's right?
    Last edited by Gen5snake; 04-07-2020 at 03:57 PM.

  19. #19
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,107
    Did someone accidentally slip with the grinder when they were changing the oil? That happened to me a few times when I brought my car to Speedy Oil Change. I think it's a common mistake there, and the manager told me it was within the range of normal.

  20. #20
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    ViperGeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Greenwood Village, CO
    Posts
    2,909
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeirsTheAmazingHD View Post
    No? There isn’t anything that I can visibly see in there that would cause the scrapes, I’m not sure what you’re seeing that could be grabbed out? Or something that looks like a material in there?
    I am referring to the sharp edges in the area that has the scratches (left of photo). It looks like a piece of something molded itself to the inside of the chamber. The texture of the piece with the scratches doesn't look quite like the other pictures that were posted above. It almost looks like a vinyl texture. Maybe it is just a difference in lighting or a difference in the angle of the photos.
    2017 ACR/TA in 2014 TA Header Orange, #4 of 10.
    2008 Vert in Viper Bright Blue with silver stripes.
    2014 GTS in white with gunmetal stripes. I'm also one of the original 100's

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeirsTheAmazingHD View Post
    Yikes yeah I defiantly don’t see that, it’s surface scratches no real depth to them I’m not sure how it could look like a crack, or how it would get cracked and someone try and fix it? It’s a 2016 Viper with tons of motor warranty left, and I doubt the factory would see a crack and try and fix it, they’d just replace the part haha
    It wouldnt be the factory fixing a crack, it would be the block supplier doing it. Ive seen it done plenty with American blocks... wouldnt surprise me at all.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by DZnutz View Post
    It wouldnt be the factory fixing a crack, it would be the block supplier doing it. Ive seen it done plenty with American blocks... wouldnt surprise me at all.
    That’s not really apart of the block anyways to my understand it’s just a splash plate. I’ve realized it’s not a big deal honestly

  23. #23
    Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    FSTENUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    PAST RED LINE
    Posts
    587
    Best guess. It's from the dealership sticking in the metal oil fill gun on one of the oil changes.
    BELANGER HEADERS/HI-FL0W CATS / EXHAUST/TRACTIVE SUSPENSION AND ARROW TUNE

  24. #24
    Enthusiast REDSTRIPE2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by FSTENUF View Post
    Best guess. It's from the dealership sticking in the metal oil fill gun on one of the oil changes.
    Exactly!!!
    The metal nozzle would/could have made it if the person filling the oil just inserted with out care.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by FSTENUF View Post
    Best guess. It's from the dealership sticking in the metal oil fill gun on one of the oil changes.
    Yeah mine too I suppose, or straight from the factory. Do you think it will cause an issue? I'm pretty sure that's just a splash plate but not 100% sure


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •