VOA Member
    since 2020
    Northern California

Drive cycle for Viper

Hi Guys,

Just picked up my 1st ACR 2008 model and I have passed 500 or so miles and still showing catalyst, 02 sensor and Evap not ready. No check engine light. It had codes below probably from disconnecting the batteries from the dealer, I reset the codes since and the codes been clear for a few days.

Does anybody knows how to properly do a drive cycle to get these 3 ready? or know how many miles it needs to drive before it clears? I have tried some of the you tube videos and no luck. I am thinking the reset is car specific.

Thanks in advance.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

Could you be a bit more specific about what you mean about passing 500 miles (confusing). Are you simply stating you have gone that far since the battery was reconnected or did you find an essentially new 08 a Dealer had been holding?

So, give the miles and it might be good to know where you are in Northern California so Club Members can suggest a good Viper Dealer to see if the issue can not be solved. I know Normandin down in San Jose has a good rep and the owner has had Vipers himself.
    Concierge Coordinator for Luxury and Performance Vehicles within the Woodhouse Auto Family ( now 18 Stores ) Yep, I am still working , ha,ha!!

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    General info Drive Cycle:

https://justsmogs.com/2014/01/chrysl...ness-monitors/

Best asnwer for you today:

Call Dan Cragin in SoCal at Specialty Performance Team...310-597-6295...as he can tell you ALL of the requirements as they pertain to YOUR Viper.
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Northern California
    Thank you Bill and Steve.

I did a bit more research using this website and VCA website (such a powerful tool - even today) I connected with Nor Cal region - Brian. I also reached out to Dan Cragin, both have been very helpful guiding me and since I am in Nor Cal he connected me to Ted from Valaya Motorsports which is 35 min away. (nice guy and have many vipers in the shop) Dan also had me check the PCM and found the PCM has Mopar Part #: P5155254AB so I had no success clearing the Catalyst, O2 and Evap monitor even driving the car for +500 miles and trying every drive cycle test I can find in you tube.

I immediately called and emailed the claws below to the dealership since they did not disclose the hidden mods during sales and hoping they will pay for the cost (finger crossed) to get the car to where I can register the car and enjoy it.

Mopar Part #: P5155254AB
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: This device is not legal for use on pollution-controlled vehicles certified for use on streets or highways. Once this device is installed and programmed, use of the vehicle on a street or highway is a violation of the Clean Air Act, potentially subjecting the operator and the installer to civil penalties of up to $32,500 per vehicle depending on the circumstances.

Stay Tuned to the next episode! I will post some more and hopefully someone can benefit to my experience.

Enthusiast
    That's interesting typically by California law car has to pass smog in order to transfer title

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Northern California
    I believe Title can be transferred separately but registration requires smog. I purchased the car out of state.

Enthusiast
    Yea your correct on that...

Yep...Mopar PCM would definitely not pass a plug-in OBD-II test. Sorry you had to find that out the hard way. Once you get the stock PCM in and married to your car, you can always swap back and forth between the two if needed. Of course, it also likely means the car was previously modded beyond just the PCM, as it was rare to install the Mopar PCM unless you had exhaust mods that required it (e.g. headers) since the stock PCM tends to only like the stock exhaust. It shouldn't raise any alarms, as these cars are pretty stout, but just keep it in mind in case other issues crop up in the future.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.04 @ 129.7, 1.81 60' (-100 ft DA, w/ 3.55s)

Enthusiast
    YEP. My ACR has Belanger and high flow cats. Installing OEM PCM tomorrow and we will see what happen.
    Thanks Steve