Enthusiast

Looking for opinions on red wheel edge

I bought some "Rim Savers" and can't decided how I feel about them. They are glue-on protective edges for wheels. I never parallel park, so chewing up wheels isn't really a danger for me. But these were mainly for cosmetic reasons (to cover the small amount of curb rash on 2 of the wheels from the PO). I dislike the flat black wheels, so I wet sanded and compounded one and put the rim saver on it. The shiny wheel is an improvement for sure. But I don't know about the red edge. Opinions?
    IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    How do they do at 120 mph? 150?
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    WV/PA
    I like the look. I don't like all-black wheels, so a little splash of color helps out a ton.
    TA 37/93. 57,732 miles.
    IG: @platinumgrille
    • There is no slash in "TA".
    • Every thread you start is useless without photos.
    • Always post photos when asking questions, and learn to orient them correctly.
    • Do not start a thread that only contains a link to another site. Copy the article and tell us what's up.
    • Use the search function before starting a thread.
    • Joining the forums just to get help and then never coming back is low class. Join and stay!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    How do they do at 120 mph? 150?
    I'll never know . The car is a daily for me. I may hit 80 on the highway (although I'll get there quick!), but that's it. I'm way too old for craziness on public roads beyond getting sideways when nobody is at risk but me. Booooring...

It looks like it might not be a perfect color match for your car, but I think it looks really nice.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.04 @ 129.7, 1.81 60' (-100 ft DA, w/ 3.55s)

You can teach a dog to fetch, therefore you teach a potato to dance! “Amazingly Bad Analogy”

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    They LOOK GOOD, but what is the non-aero leading-edge 'nub' at 5:30pm position? Dont look Z-Y-rated!

Quote Originally Posted by E.Murray View Post
    I bought some "Rim Savers" and can't decided how I feel about them. They are glue-on protective edges for wheels. I never parallel park, so chewing up wheels isn't really a danger for me. But these were mainly for cosmetic reasons (to cover the small amount of curb rash on 2 of the wheels from the PO). I dislike the flat black wheels, so I wet sanded and compounded one and put the rim saver on it. The shiny wheel is an improvement for sure. But I don't know about the red edge. Opinions?
    IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    I'm an all black fan, so it's a "no" vote from me. But what matters is how YOU feel about 'em.
    2004 SRT-10 Vert w/Gen IV hood (and other mods on the way)
    2008 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, V-10, Fabspeed, 6-speed gated manual
    Past: 1995 & 2001 RT/10's; 2003 Vert; 2001 Paxton SC ACR (gone but not forgotten)

Regional Treasurer
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America
    A little to JC Whitney for me, but if you like it, that is all that matters.

Bruce
    2009 ACR GTS Blue with Black stripes (1 of 2)
    MoparGarage.net
    Mopar Knights FB page

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    A few years ago, one of our members who had a beautiful, flawless black 03 SRT 10 painted a thin red stripe on his tires and it looked quite good along with his red powder coated calipers. His "art work" seemed to hold up well over time. I do not know what he used for paint.
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Northern California

I would prefer no rim trim but paint the calipers to match the car. They would pop nicely behind the dark rims.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackAire View Post
    I would prefer no rim trim but paint the calipers to match the car. They would pop nicely behind the dark rims.
    Agreed

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    Houston

Yeah, that's a tough one. I don't care for all black wheels, but not crazy about the ring either. Red calipers would look good. No chance of buying wheels you prefer?

Enthusiast
    I'd say the overall consensus is a "no." As far as the calipers, I had considered painting them red. But I so like the "Viper" logo on the gray ones that I'd discounted it. I really hate flat black wheels and flat black tires, so maybe a red caliper will relive the blandness. That's what I was looking for in the first place. Thanks for the opinions!