Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Man, I want to upgrade my daily, but I can't stomach prices.
    Best I could find under 2018 50k was an X5 X50i w/ 44k miles. 445hp TT V8 is awesome, but that's about it. It didn't have the upgraded suspension or M package (which I dont care about, it's just cosmetic and I dont mind the "executive" look over the sporty look. I mean, heck, I'd honestly rather spend $85k and just get a new one, with zero miles and the current body style at that point. I also dont to spend $85k since I already have one expensive car (Viper) another on the way in a year or so (C8 Z06). My cars will be damn near the value of my house if you count my gf's Macan S in the garage, lol.

Anyone have any suggestions? Has to be midsize SUV size or small (or a sedan, doesn't need to be an SUV), reasonably reliable and at least fun enough to justify getting rid of the automotive appliance known as the Lexus GX460.
    Last edited by Lawineer; 10-10-2021 at 12:01 PM.
    2013 GTS- Black w/ Gunmetal stripes. DSC Tractive Coilovers, big wing, ACR sways, carbon stuff
    2014 BRZ: Race/track car. Full retarded &2011 Lexus GX460: Daily

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Capital Vipers (DC/DE/MD/VA)
    2 SUVs—a 21 Audi RSQ8, And a 21 BMW XB7–love both—so far
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Drummerviper; 10-10-2021 at 03:35 PM.
    17 GTS-R, (sold) 92 Viper, (Lutz VIN 00002) , 06 Heritage Ford GT, 19 Ferrari 488 Pista,
    20 Lamborghini Aventador SVJ 18 Ford GT (sold); 19 Ferrari 812 Superfast

Quote Originally Posted by Lawineer View Post
    Man, I want to upgrade my daily, but I can't stomach prices.
    Best I could find under 2018 50k was an X5 X50i w/ 44k miles. 445hp TT V8 is awesome, but that's about it. It didn't have the upgraded suspension or M package (which I dont care about, it's just cosmetic and I dont mind the "executive" look over the sporty look. I mean, heck, I'd honestly rather spend $85k and just get a new one, with zero miles and the current body style at that point. I also dont to spend $85k since I already have one expensive car (Viper) another on the way in a year or so (C8 Z06). My cars will be damn near the value of my house if you count my gf's Macan S in the garage, lol.

Anyone have any suggestions? Has to be midsize SUV size or small (or a sedan, doesn't need to be an SUV), reasonably reliable and at least fun enough to justify getting rid of the automotive appliance known as the Lexus GX460.
    You're a cheap ass so not sure what fits the bill. Haha You know I'm messing with you, bud.

Jeep SRT8 with the 6.4 can be had for a decent price. They can tow the racecar, too!

I love my truck but it's coming up on 4 years so debating on something different. I hate to because I am cheap and the truck only has 33k miles on it but there are a few I have my eye on. The Hellcat Durango, TRX and Trackhawk are high in my list. I am thinking the SRT8 with the 6.4 would be plenty but when there is more I sort of want it. lol Two weeks a year I need AWD or 4wd drive for the winter weather in PA/NY but outside of that it's not needed. Debated on going back to a car but I like the usability of an SUV or truck. The fact that prices are so high is keeping me from anything new.
    2013 GTS
    2018 RAM 1500 4x4
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by StrokerAce View Post
    You're a cheap ass so not sure what fits the bill. Haha You know I'm messing with you, bud.

Jeep SRT8 with the 6.4 can be had for a decent price. They can tow the racecar, too!

I love my truck but it's coming up on 4 years so debating on something different. I hate to because I am cheap and the truck only has 33k miles on it but there are a few I have my eye on. The Hellcat Durango, TRX and Trackhawk are high in my list. I am thinking the SRT8 with the 6.4 would be plenty but when there is more I sort of want it. lol Two weeks a year I need AWD or 4wd drive for the winter weather in PA/NY but outside of that it's not needed. Debated on going back to a car but I like the usability of an SUV or truck. The fact that prices are so high is keeping me from anything new.
    Ha! I'm not sure about cheap, but used car pricing is painful!

I dont want anything too crazy. Something at least kind of professional for work and clients.

I couldn't find any 2015+ SRT8 Jeeps under $60k with less than 40k miles. If I'm going to pay $60k for a 7 year old truck with 50k miles, I'll pay $85k for a new one that has newer tech lol. Also, I dont need 3 six figure (or close to) car purchases in ~1 year.
    2013 GTS- Black w/ Gunmetal stripes. DSC Tractive Coilovers, big wing, ACR sways, carbon stuff

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Quebec
    MB GLC 43 AMG would fit the bill quite well, it’s good all around, a new one starts at $60 and can be well equipped for $69.
    My daily is the GLC 63s AMG, I like it a lot, but the extra power cost quite a bit more
    Last edited by SilveRT8; 10-10-2021 at 08:06 PM.
    Claude, '16 GTC-TA2.0 Black, Arrow PCM, Belanger, AR mufflers, 3.91 gears, UP Pulley
    '93 Gen 1 RT/10 Black / '19 GLC63S AMG / '17 Porsche 911 TTS Cabrio / '12 Harley FLH SE 135 ci/ on order MB GLE 63S AMG

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Even though I stated above that I did not want another German car, I ended up buying a special edition BMW X5 45e a few weeks ago. Why? Just look at it! Green over tan won me over, and the malachite green is very rare. In addition to the carbon fiber trim inside, this one rocks the performance seats from the X5 M - a feature no one seems to order in "ordinary" X5s. So, after accepting the facts that I'm getting older, that I indeed DO LIKE things like Head-Up display in my daily driver, and because our streets are just too narrow for a RAM to easily drive and park wherever I go, the decision was made on the spot. THIS. IS. IT! And I love every mile in it.

Attachment 49234

Attachment 49235
    Gotta agree that the colors here are beautiful!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2020

Thanks, Scott! I still turn around every time I park it, it just looks so good in person.
    1998 Viper GTS | 2017 Shelby GT350

Just ordered the wife's new driver, Durango SRT. Hopefully she like it like she did our 2014 Grand Cherokee SRT

Quote Originally Posted by SilveRT8 View Post
    MB GLC 43 AMG would fit the bill quite well, it’s good all around, a new one starts at $60 and can be well equipped for $69.
    My daily is the GLC 63s AMG, I like it a lot, but the extra power cost quite a bit more
    I'd need to the 63AMG to justify the jump I think. And probably because it's there.

I found a fully X5 with every package including M package, adaptive suspension and the 445hp TTV8 with 27k miles for 52k. I may just do this. I'm tired of spending time on it.

I honestly considered just saying eff it and getting a new M3. Do I really need an SUV? No kids. 50lb dog. Home is remodeled. If I buy a new house, I'll buy a beater truck.

I'd need to the 63AMG to justify the jump I think. And probably because it's there.

I found a fully X5 with every package including M package, adaptive suspension and the 445hp TTV8 with 27k miles for 52k. I may just do this. I'm tired of spending time on it.

I honestly considered just saying eff it and getting a new M3. Do I really need an SUV? No kids. 50lb dog. Home is remodeled. If I buy a new house, I'll buy a beater truck.
    I've always loved M3's, but the utility of cars is starting to become harder and harder to justify these days with such high hp options in SUV's and now even P/U's. With cars, getting in and out, sitting low and not being able to view around traffic in front or behind, cramped cabins, limited carrying/storage capacity, and terrible road conditions that beat up smaller cars, all weigh against them for me. With upwards of 700hp available in just about any form factor now, and electric looking to increase that substantially, I don't see myself getting another car/sedan as a DD ever again.

Yeah, that's all a good point. A lot easier to enjoy a cup of coffee on the (6 minute) drive to the office in an SUV than a car. The M3 is 4door though.

I ended up buying the X5 described above from Carmax. I have 30 days/1500 miles to return it for a full refund less $200 shipping fee. Whatever, I'd flat out pay a nonrefundable $200 that wasn't applied to the purchase price to try the car for a month, lol. Hell, I'd just pay $200/mo for the car! I am just going to write a check for it so I dont have to worry about undoing financing or trade in if I decide I want to get a new M3 or 550i.

I'm tired of messing with it, and if I keep going, I'm going to end up justifying a $100k daily driver to myself that I dont even have a garage spot for. I started at $35k and ended up at ~55k. I have a 6 minute, 1.8 mile commute. Silly to spend that much.
    Last edited by Lawineer; 10-13-2021 at 02:46 PM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2020
    Mid-South (AR/LA/MS)
    Yeah, that's all a good point. A lot easier to enjoy a cup of coffee on the (6 minute) drive to the office in an SUV than a car. The M3 is 4door though.

I ended up buying the X5 described above from Carmax. I have 30 days/1500 miles to return it for a full refund less $200 shipping fee. Whatever, I'd flat out pay a nonrefundable $200 that wasn't applied to the purchase price to try the car for a month, lol. Hell, I'd just pay $200/mo for the car! I am just going to write a check for it so I dont have to worry about undoing financing or trade in if I decide I want to get a new M3 or 550i.

I'm tired of messing with it, and if I keep going, I'm going to end up justifying a $100k daily driver to myself that I dont even have a garage spot for. I started at $35k and ended up at ~55k. I have a 6 minute, 1.8 mile commute. Silly to spend that much.
    Ha, yeah I work remote at home now, so I don't need anything other than the wife's Tesla really. But got a GMC 2500HD coming and debating getting rid of the Focus RS or just keeping it since it's paid for. 4 cars for zero commute seems unnecessary.
    2017 GTS-R Blue GTC - TA 1.0 Group
    2016 Focus RS
    2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    Quote Originally Posted by PkB2014 View Post
    Ha, yeah I work remote at home now, so I don't need anything other than the wife's Tesla really. But got a GMC 2500HD coming and debating getting rid of the Focus RS or just keeping it since it's paid for. 4 cars for zero commute seems unnecessary.
    After 2 years of having a Trackhawk as my daily and only putting 6k miles on it I’m questioning why I own it. One I work from home so my commute consists of dropping off my son at school or getting lunch. It’s a 4th vehicle for us so if the roads aren’t perfect I just drive our 164k mile ‘15 Grand Cherokee that we’re keeping around to give to our son when he turns 16 in a year. Until then the Trackhawk is only driven on nice days, the same kind of days I should be driving the Viper. Trackhawks overall are holding their value stupidly well so I imagine in the next 2-4 years trading it in for a nice deposit on an exotic and then getting a real DD I don’t mind driving in all conditions. I wish the new Grand Cherokee exterior did anything for me because after sitting inside one last week at my dealer the interior is amazing. But the exterior is bland and uninspired.

^^^ great points about not having much use anymore for expensive DD's if they mostly just sit around unused. My commute is also hardly anything these days as we Zoom so much now. The GC SRT is really just about perfect, but I just want a change I suppose.

And I'm with you VoR, the new truck on the exterior is quite poor imo, but the interior is a home run. Can they make an SRT or TH version look good? Perhaps.
    But it will be electric most likely, which I'm fine with for the DD role.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    After 2 years of having a Trackhawk as my daily and only putting 6k miles on it I’m questioning why I own it. One I work from home so my commute consists of dropping off my son at school or getting lunch. It’s a 4th vehicle for us so if the roads aren’t perfect I just drive our 164k mile ‘15 Grand Cherokee that we’re keeping around to give to our son when he turns 16 in a year. Until then the Trackhawk is only driven on nice days, the same kind of days I should be driving the Viper. Trackhawks overall are holding their value stupidly well so I imagine in the next 2-4 years trading it in for a nice deposit on an exotic and then getting a real DD I don’t mind driving in all conditions. I wish the new Grand Cherokee exterior did anything for me because after sitting inside one last week at my dealer the interior is amazing. But the exterior is bland and uninspired.
    Trackhawks are holding their value today, just like every vehicle purchased in the last 18 months.

Don't expect that in 2-4 years. Values will start dropping a year from now.

Ha! I'm not sure about cheap, but used car pricing is painful!

I dont want anything too crazy. Something at least kind of professional for work and clients.

I couldn't find any 2015+ SRT8 Jeeps under $60k with less than 40k miles. If I'm going to pay $60k for a 7 year old truck with 50k miles, I'll pay $85k for a new one that has newer tech lol. Also, I dont need 3 six figure (or close to) car purchases in ~1 year.
    Holy shit, I paid 69k CAN (55k US) Almost 3 years ago for my 19 SRT currently at 52,000 km/32,000 miles... I guess my truck is worth a lot more than I paid for it.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2020
    Mid-South (AR/LA/MS)
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    The new GC doesn't do much for me, but the Grand Wagoneer looks like a winner to me. But also it's $100k so, I'll pass. But it could be perfect for a lot of folks.
    2017 GTS-R Blue GTC - TA 1.0 Group
    2016 Focus RS
    2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by PkB2014 View Post
    The new GC doesn't do much for me, but the Grand Wagoneer looks like a winner to me. But also it's $100k so, I'll pass. But it could be perfect for a lot of folks.
    Yeah, it was definitely a step back in styling imo. Reminded me of the bugeye JGC in that sense.

The 4th gen (up to 2021) and 2nd gen (not sure of years) were the best looking for the their times. Gen 3 was the worst, I'll just leave that there, haha.

Gen 1-4 https://dc-cdn.s3-ap-southeast-1.ama...3024.Medi.jpeg

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2019
    NY/CT
    Looking at a new BMW M550i...get a V8 while they're still being made. Also looking at the Merc E53..twin turb 6. IMO the merc's interiors are beautifully done. Everything is on backorder..."chip" shortage. Dealers lots are empty...as far as new cars go. Crazy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen5snake View Post
    Looking at a new BMW M550i...get a V8 while they're still being made. Also looking at the Merc E53..twin turb 6. IMO the merc's interiors are beautifully done. Everything is on backorder..."chip" shortage. Dealers lots are empty...as far as new cars go. Crazy times.
    I don't like merc interiors at all. The infotainment screen looks like an aftermarket/afterthought addition. I also don't like their gauges and graphics as much.

Plus, yeah, I'd rather have a 500hp TTV8 than their 400hp 6-bangers, especially since they are more expensive. I also think the BMW looks better.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    I don't like merc interiors at all. The infotainment screen looks like an aftermarket/afterthought addition. I also don't like their gauges and graphics as much.

Plus, yeah, I'd rather have a 500hp TTV8 than their 400hp 6-bangers, especially since they are more expensive. I also think the BMW looks better.
    The 4.0 Mercedes V8 in the AWD cars/suvs is rated at 603hp, but its really over 700 and torque rated at 627 is really close to 750. Massively underrated. They put down 580-590 to the wheels. Upgrade the turbo wheels with Renntech's for $17K and get 875 HP 873 TQ
    @9literviper 2013 track car, 2016 ACR, 1996 GTS, 2001 RT/10, 2003 SRT/10

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    The 4.0 Mercedes V8 in the AWD cars/suvs is rated at 603hp, but its really over 700 and torque rated at 627 is really close to 750. Massively underrated. They put down 580-590 to the wheels. Upgrade the turbo wheels with Renntech's for $17K and get 875 HP 873 TQ
    I must be thinking of a different engine then- or misremembering.

I think I'm here now: Try the $50k X5. If I feel it's a $30k upgrade over the GX, just do it and move about my life. Otherwise, go back to the GX and either 1) wait until this chip shortage ends and get a used car at a different price or 2) if things are still the same a year from now, buy a new one. I can't justify a 2 year/20k mile used car at 90% of new price. I'll get a new M3 or X5 if inventory shortage continues.

Have you looked at anything like an Audi RS7? Might be a bit on the high end of things for the price (especially the first two that I found and linked, lol), but they are fast, fun, and pretty comfy. I was considering one before I found my GTS.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/9...-1a18c3d7dd21/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/1...-dd5e8054f6b2/

Twin turbo 4.0L V8. Stock is 584hp/559tq. Throw an APR Stg1 tune on it ($800) and you'll have 677/746.
    Last edited by usmcfieldmp; 10-18-2021 at 02:50 PM.
    1997 Dodge Viper GTS || Matte Bentley Silver | 60k miles ||

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS || 2002 Audi TT Quattro || 1986 Volkswagen GTI

Quote Originally Posted by usmcfieldmp View Post
    Have you looked at anything like an Audi RS7? Might be a bit on the high end of things for the price (especially the first two that I found and linked, lol), but they are fast, fun, and pretty comfy. I was considering one before I found my GTS.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/9...-1a18c3d7dd21/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/1...-dd5e8054f6b2/

Twin turbo 4.0L V8. Stock is 584hp/559tq. Throw an APR Stg1 tune on it ($800) and you'll have 677/746.

Close friend of mine has the Prestige. Great car. Has some mod now and runs high 10's. Not a bad grocery getter!!
    2013 GTS
    2018 RAM 1500 4x4
    1999 Camaro SS

I drive an S6 and couldn't be happier. Yeah, 450hp of twin turbo V8 is "light" next to an RS7 or biggest motor Benz/BMW. But, with that said and having driven a few E63 AMG's, this car is perfect. I can hammer it pretty hard and stay safe which I could not do with the Benz (nor my Viper, nor many other cars I've owned). The interior is great, the exterior is about as understated as you can get (turn off for some) but it sounds great and does the job very well. If you look up reviews on it it beat the bigger HP cars simply because it does it all without too much drama.
    1991 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2012 BMW M3 Comp Pack
    2016 Viper Ceramic Blue GTC 1 of 1

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast