Thread: Radiator

Enthusiast

Radiator

What is the best radiator for Gen 2 Gts? My stock radiator is broken. I want a radiator with quality, not a cheap china welded piece of shit

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Carolinas
    One option, but there are others. https://www.ebay.com/itm/94-95-96-97...w/202778062615
    Some have their radiator recored.
    If you want things to stay the same, things will have to change.
    2002 Red RT/10

Enthusiast
    Howe is the only one I've used that didn't leak within a few months. I've tried many of them.
    The best thing about this Viper forum....NO DAVE6666!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W View Post
    One option, but there are others. https://www.ebay.com/itm/94-95-96-97...w/202778062615
    I have one of those and wasn't thrilled with the fit. The Driver side spout (intake) really needs to be bent inward a bit to keep the hose off the hood hinges. I don't have the skills to do that or know anyone that could so I bought a HOWE and put it in my car (fit was much better). I'd sell my X2 for half what they want for them new to just get some garage space back. I've been keeping it as a "spare" but I also have my factory one that I plan to have rebuilt at some time too. Shipping would SUCK, especially over seas though so I thinks that's more of a local offer unless someone really wants to pay what I would cost me to have boxed and shipped.
    Last edited by 98RedGTS; 1 Week Ago at 01:21 PM.

Did you want to stay OEM or just go aftermarket? Only radiator to go to is the Howe, or OEM
    09 ACR With all the goodies
    99 ACR TT 99 red RT/10 Roe S/C
    97 B/W RT/10 TT 94 RT/10 TT

Had mine re-cored at a local shop...

Went with a Howe based on Dave’s feedback and lack of familiar local shops to re-core.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W View Post
    I have one of these too. I had no issue with fitment and they were to most reasonably OEM type I could find. I would recommend them. No leaks after almost 2 years.
    03 C5 Z06 - K&N filter, Corsa Sport Cat Back - Torch Red
    96 Viper GTS - Corsa Cat Back - Blue and White
    02 Honda S2000 - Fujita CAI, Invidia Single Cat Back, Comptech coils - Sebring Silver

Quote Originally Posted by lane_viper View Post
    I have one of these too. I had no issue with fitment and they were to most reasonably OEM type I could find. I would recommend them. No leaks after almost 2 years.
    When did you get yours? I got mine 3 years ago. Maybe after 10+ years of people telling them they need to adjust the inlet pipe they finally did that. It's a good radiator besides that issue.

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    There are some small issues with aftermarket aluminium radiators, when you go to fit the fan shroud back they may not have the same fittings, Instead of having the studs you screw the nuts onto, you may need hex screws to screw into nutserts, also you will need extra fittings for the breather tube and drain plug
    Just making you aware

Regional Treasurer
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    I brought an early X2 radiator (the eBay unit), many years ago and also found the neck incorrectly positioned. I had my radiator guy re-positioned it. Cost a few bucks and X2 paid for it. They also said they would corrected the issue in their next production. Did they? I can't verify.

I ended up not using it (yet) and am keeping it as a spare since my OEM leak was easily soldered at the time. Still in use - 23 years and counting.
    1996 GTS

I guess Alan's triple pass is not available anymore. I installed it in a gen1 well over 10yrs ago. Perfect fit with a gen2 fan assm, and still going strong.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Grcforce327 View Post
    I guess Alan's triple pass is not available anymore. I installed it in a gen1 well over 10yrs ago. Perfect fit with a gen2 fan assm, and still going strong.
    The Alan's is the Howe. I brought it to the general market after Alan moved to Thailand. I bought his remaining inventory at Howe and some of his personal inventory as well. Howe now markets them through RSI in Plano.

Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    The Alan's is the Howe. I brought it to the general market after Alan moved to Thailand. I bought his remaining inventory at Howe and some of his personal inventory as well. Howe now markets them through RSI in Plano.
    Now that’s a 401k I can get behind!

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    I have had zero problems using a Ron Davis for the last 5 years make sure to get the ground kit or make one yourself http://www.rondavisradiators.com/radgallery.htm#Dodge

Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    That is def the radiator to go with. It's actually been in the car closer to 15yrs.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake View Post
    I have had zero problems using a Ron Davis for the last 5 years make sure to get the ground kit or make one yourself http://www.rondavisradiators.com/radgallery.htm#Dodge
    Curious how many 10's of thousands of miles above 100F ambient have you driven the car during those 5 years with your RDR?

My first RDR lasted about a month. The warranty replacement leaked brand new out of the box. I stopped using them immediately and thankfully received a full refund. RDR also makes an aluminum radiator for my H1 although I'm still using the factory copper one. As reviewed on H1 forums the RDR is good for less than 5 years. Not sure if that's an RDR/H1 thing or simply an aluminum radiator/H1 thing. But since the Howe has been used for decades in a Viper under elevated service conditions by many, and lasted, I'm not sure that there is a better choice than them. If Howe made one for my H1 I'd try it.