Terrible Clunk Click from Rear end

Hi all,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here for things to look at...

I have a 2009 ACR, owned it about a year and a half, it has nearly 20k miles on it now and I bought it with 12k on the clock. I don't "daily" drive the car but I enjoy it at least 1-2 times a week.

Today I took it out and noticed a terrible clunking / clicking sound from the rear end somewhere under mid to high engine load. Any suggestions on what I should look at first? Below is a checklist of sorts on the symptoms etc. Any input is greatly appreciated.

• no engine issues or abnormal sounds when car is in neutral and you lay on the pedal
    • no abnormal sounds when throttle is babied gently through the gears (if you gently go through gears it sounds normal, cruising is silent and normal)
    • no abnormal sounds from the car if you are up to speed and take a corner hard
    • horrible clunking/clicking in any gear when heavy throttle applied (35-40% pedal force or higher maybe)
    • hard throttle clunking/clicking appears in all gears and goes away when you let off the gas or just maintain speed/cruise
    • engine oil i regularly change every 6 months or 2k'ish miles
    • i have never changed rear diff fluid, unsure if previous owner did (is this the right place to start?)

thanks for reading. i appreciate any and all inputs as i am new to the viper world.

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Stock HP ?

Backing up while turning hard any worse? ie Way Worse?

Likely the Visko Loc LSD

Drain and strain and change oil......baby the car
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

If it were me, I'd get it up in the air and get the belly pan off so you can rotate the driveshaft and see if you can pinpoint any binding or anything out of the ordinary. It could be a u-joint in the driveshaft, or it could be something internal to the differential itself.

While it is up there, drain the diff fluid and see what comes out. Chunks of metal and/or glitter is what you are looking for...if you see either (or both), that's a bad sign that something is on its way to failing. If you don't find anything suspicious, you can make the call on whether or not you want to fill with fresh fluid and give it a go, or pull the entire housing so you can take it apart and see what is going on inside the case. If you do end up needing to pull it, there's some info in this thread that might help:

https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...ial-in-a-Gen-4

Specifically post #3 in that thread. It's not a hard job to pull the differential, but you do have to get some things out of the way so you can fish it out of the frame.

Hopefully it is something easy, but you have to be prepared for the worst based on your description of the problem.

If you do end up unbolting the driveshaft for some reason, keep in mind that you will want to replace the u-joint straps and bolts with new ones. Those are one-time use items.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.04 @ 129.7, 1.81 60' (-100 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & MT Drag Radials)

Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    Stock HP ?

Backing up while turning hard any worse? ie Way Worse?

Likely the Visko Loc LSD

Drain and strain and change oil......baby the car
    backing up didn't make any noise at all, but i'm also not slamming on the gas. i'll start with the oil then, cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    If it were me, I'd get it up in the air and get the belly pan off so you can rotate the driveshaft and see if you can pinpoint any binding or anything out of the ordinary. It could be a u-joint in the driveshaft, or it could be something internal to the differential itself.

While it is up there, drain the diff fluid and see what comes out. Chunks of metal and/or glitter is what you are looking for...if you see either (or both), that's a bad sign that something is on its way to failing. If you don't find anything suspicious, you can make the call on whether or not you want to fill with fresh fluid and give it a go, or pull the entire housing so you can take it apart and see what is going on inside the case. If you do end up needing to pull it, there's some info in this thread that might help:

https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...ial-in-a-Gen-4

Specifically post #3 in that thread. It's not a hard job to pull the differential, but you do have to get some things out of the way so you can fish it out of the frame.

Hopefully it is something easy, but you have to be prepared for the worst based on your description of the problem.

If you do end up unbolting the driveshaft for some reason, keep in mind that you will want to replace the u-joint straps and bolts with new ones. Those are one-time use items.
    will do. i appreciate it

Procedure for reference:

For the fluid, you can use Mopar 68197927AA - this is the Gen 5 fluid (uses same differential as the Gen 4), and already has friction modifier added.

If you decide to go with a different oil, the friction modifier part number is 4318060AC. As noted in the pic above, the book calls for 2.3 oz (it comes in a 4 oz. bottle).

Non-friction modifier gear oil available here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Friction modifier available here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.04 @ 129.7, 1.81 60' (-100 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & MT Drag Radials)

my man, thanks!

Thanks guys, i drained the diff fluid and trans fluid, both looked fairly clean, very little metallic in it

re-filled both with appropriate fluids and the rear end has seemed to calm down with its angry self

its quiet, i can't reproduce the noise anymore

appreciate it!

Always nice when it's something easy. Might have had something to do with needing friction modifier, and changing the diff fluid is just what it needed.