Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Crankshaft pulley and vibration damper completely loose

Hey All,

Took the car out for a spin this morning and noticed my battery light come on a few blocks from my house. Almost as I pulled back into the driveway the power steering went. Opened the hood and the serpentine was off. Grabbed a new belt and tensioner which is usually a pretty simple job, long story short, it wasn't the tensionor. The main crankshaft puller and vibration damper are completely loose. I got under the car and the main bolt spun loose but is still in. Can i just retorque this thing? What else should I check?

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by RetroJonez; 07-18-2020 at 12:25 PM.

Enthusiast
    Here are the pics. Assuming this should pressure fit on, but it's completely loose on the crankshaft. back.jpg

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    While many of us have seen this to be a very common issue on 2004's with their small bolt and lower torque setting, folks tend to forget that this is something to be checked on all Vipers. I have certainly seen ig on a few Gen II's.

At this point, I would remove the bolt, clean it, add a little Loctite if you have it, and tighten it while checking to see that the damper is fully seated when the bolt is snug...then torque to 250 ft-lbs..remembering that some techs actually torqued them to 300 ft-lbs.

Hopefully, the crankshaft is not damaged on the end (nose).
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

Enthusiast
    Hope not. Will know when I get the bolt out. Wasn't finger loose yet. Need to go get a bigger socket. I will order a new damper just to be safe as long as everything checks out when I get it off.
    Last edited by RetroJonez; 07-18-2020 at 01:11 PM.

Enthusiast
    What is the best way to get a wrench on this thing? Remove the cross member and go from the top?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    You can do that...but, a flex-head torque wrench has allowed me access to the bolt from below...which I copied after seeing Tom Sessions tighten a few. From that position, Tom can also stop the crank from turning by placing a large screwdriver into the flywheel teeth...useful when wheels are not on a drive-on lift 4 post lift. Agree that it tight in there.

Enthusiast
    Wobble extension. Access from above.

Crank Pulley Bolt Pic2.jpg
    The best thing about this Viper forum....NO DAVE6666!

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
    That's the ticket.

VOA Member
    since 2019
    Minnesota
    I had the same exact thing happen to me. Get the pinning kit. I took the bolt out by hand. Since Ive pinned the pulley I've had no problems since

Enthusiast
    I have to say from that pic, the snout looks torn up. I would at the very least pull the dampner and see what you have. If the crank is gouged, you should at a minimum replace the dampener and clean up the crank. Very carefully removed the high spots. Clearly not the best way, but far and above better than trying to tighten up a torn up unit.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroJonez View Post
    Here are the pics. Assuming this should pressure fit on, but it's completely loose on the crankshaft. back.jpg
    Is that rust on the seal area?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattkimn View Post
    I had the same exact thing happen to me. Get the pinning kit. I took the bolt out by hand. Since Ive pinned the pulley I've had no problems since
    I already ordered it and the damper. Unfortunately even with the bolt backed out slightly already I still cant get it to budge from below. Just pulled the air intake to go from the top. Should I hit it with some thread penetration and try in the morning? If it was already hit with red locktite I might need to get the bolt hot, but not sure with what, hit it with a butane torch? Usually it's pretty hard to back that out. Since this thing is still in there pretty tight how should I best stop the crank shaft from spinning? put it in gear and have someone sit on the brakes? Also, this isn't reverse threaded, should be pulling toward the passenger to break free?

Quote Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
    I have to say from that pic, the snout looks torn up. I would at the very least pull the dampner and see what you have. If the crank is gouged, you should at a minimum replace the dampener and clean up the crank. Very carefully removed the high spots. Clearly not the best way, but far and above better than trying to tighten up a torn up unit.
    Yeah, it doesn't look great. I will lightly sand it. Since I will have it apart, probably change the oil seal too?

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Is that rust on the seal area?
    I was also surprised to see this. It doesn't leak or burn any oil. Car had been in MN most of its life other than a year or so. I bought it last year with 15k on the clock. It needs a bit of work. But not sure why/how that would rust.

The car had some work done to it prior to me buying it, it's putting 490hp and 533tq at the wheels. Would have thought they would have pinned the pulley. But everything is in pretty great condition otherwise. No leaks, not burn, interior is in great condition, paint is dull but I can bring it back with a quick compound and polish. I was actually going to detail it this weekend and this happened.
    Last edited by RetroJonez; 07-18-2020 at 09:42 PM.

Enthusiast
    I just tried hitting it with a torch for about 5 minutes. Still didn't budge. So weird that this thing came loose. Should I keep hitting it with heat and pick up a high torque impact? https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...nch-62891.html

I didn't have anyone in the holding the brakes, just left it in first but didn't want to break anything so i stopped really pushing on it since it was obviously not going to budge.
    Last edited by RetroJonez; 07-18-2020 at 10:20 PM.

Enthusiast
    Also where can I order a new crankshaft bolt and oil seal? Recommendations?

Enthusiast
    So the bolt is loose but the pulley is still snug on the crank? Could be galled. Try a puller.

I just tried hitting it with a torch for about 5 minutes. Still didn't budge. So weird that this thing came loose. Should I keep hitting it with heat and pick up a high torque impact? https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...nch-62891.html

I didn't have anyone in the holding the brakes, just left it in first but didn't want to break anything so i stopped really pushing on it since it was obviously not going to budge.
    You want to put it in 5th or 6th with the hand brake on and tires chocked.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    So the bolt is loose but the pulley is still snug on the crank? Could be galled. Try a puller.
    Bolt backed out a bit and the balancer is loose. But oddly the bolt is still being a pain.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    I wonder if it was cross-threaded during installation.

Enthusiast
    But oddly the bolt is still being a pain.
    What are you trying to turn it with? Hopefully not something HF sells...

Enthusiast
    I got it out. Hit is with some pb blaster last night. This morning it came out like butter. Unfortunately the bolt is trashed. Haven't had a chance to jack it back up, but I am a bit nervous about what I might find in the crank shaft. Crossing fingers.
    bolt.jpg

We have the seal, and should have the small cranks bolts.
    I would suggest the following:
    Remove the balancer, use some emery cloth and clean up the snout of the crank best possible.
    Run a tap to chase the threads in the end of the crank, check to see if the new bolt threads all the way in without issue.
    Install a new balancer, put loctite where the crank and balancer fit together.
    Install the balancer bolt with loctite.
    The torque for the small bolt is 150 ft lbs, the large balancer bolt is 250 ft lbs

That balancer and bolt have moved out about an inch, there are only a couple of threads left.

Enthusiast
    That balancer and bolt have moved out about an inch, there are only a couple of threads left.
    I'm a little nervous about what those threads would have done to the rest of the crank as I was backing it out so I'll have to take a look. Unfortunately my basement also flooded so I'm simultaneously working on that.

Enthusiast
    Agreed. That was wobbling quite a bit.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast