Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Baer Eradispeed 2 pc vs Stoptech 1 pc rotors

    I'm looking to replace my rotors and have been reading all related posts on this forum and others.

    My use is mainly street driving (spirited) not really track. So it'd mostly be for looks but I do want better stopping power on the road. I understand all the benefits of 2 piece rotors versus 1 piece.

    I have narrowed it down to slotted AND cross-drilled (yes - it's a poser mod) between either Baer Eradispeed+ (2-pc) or Stoptech (1 pc) rotors.

    Does anyone have any experience with the two and can comment on how much difference could there be in stopping distance if the pads used with either set of rotors are the same?

    Thanks for your help and recommendations in advance!!

  2. #2
    Two things, 1. what gen car are we talking about here? 2. if you are doing things for looks (which you admitted to with your "poser mod" comment) just get the rotor you think looks cool and some pads to keep dust down.

  3. #3
    Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Fatboy 18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South of London, Surrey
    Posts
    6,653
    I run the Baer Eradispeed 2 piece rotors and hats on my Gen II, but I ordered mine Slotted only which the company do but don't seem to list? (so contact them to confirm).
    I did have the earlier slotted and drilled rotors but started getting cracking between the holes, now before all the people chime in with horror stories, fatigue cracking around the holes is normal and is only a issue if the cracks join up across the rotor.

    Here's My New setup. (these are standard size 13" Rotors, not the Big Brake kit).

    I can't comment on Stoptech as I have never used them.


    Album link here Front Brakes
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/905823...57648752133313
    Note, Baer changed out the size of the aluminium hat and disc to hat configuration so that is why there are various pictures.


    Album link here Rear Brakes
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/905823...h/16380825708/

    Im happy with them.

    One other thing I have fitted to my car is a front Brake fluid recycle system to prevent brake fade, buts something for another thread and not applicable to street driving.
    Last edited by Fatboy 18; 1 Week Ago at 03:02 PM.

  4. #4
    Member
    Supporting Vendor
    Supporting Vendor
    TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Raheel View Post
    I'm looking to replace my rotors and have been reading all related posts on this forum and others.

    My use is mainly street driving (spirited) not really track. So it'd mostly be for looks but I do want better stopping power on the road. I understand all the benefits of 2 piece rotors versus 1 piece.

    I have narrowed it down to slotted AND cross-drilled (yes - it's a poser mod) between either Baer Eradispeed+ (2-pc) or Stoptech (1 pc) rotors.

    Does anyone have any experience with the two and can comment on how much difference could there be in stopping distance if the pads used with either set of rotors are the same?

    Thanks for your help and recommendations in advance!!
    Raheel you wont see much if any difference in stopping distance between the two. Rotor on hat ( non floating) the only benefit little less rotational mass, less un-sprung weight and the aluminum hat acts like a heat sink which is good and bad thing in some applications. If you just like the performance looks of rotor on hat then spend the extra money its your car make it the way you want it. Drilled and slot rotors definitely stay away from. Gas slots, dimples, j hooks only is the way to go just no holes in the rotor. Drilled rotors most all of us stopped running decades ago because of short rotor life, failure prone and warpage.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM View Post
    Drilled rotors most all of us stopped running decades ago because of short rotor life, failure prone and warpage.
    Not to be a doom and gloom guy but failure prone is up to and include the rotor exploding when you need it most. My buddy is an instructor at Summit Point and they had a car go off track when a "high performance" drilled and slotted rotor exploded down the main straight. The fact that most of our vipers have brake cooling ducts compounds the heat cycling that causes these types of failures to happen.

    Thats why I had said you've made it know you're not looking for performance, just looks (which is fine!), so get one that you like the looks of and pads that keep brake ducts down.

  6. #6
    Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR
    Posts
    2,939
    """" Does anyone have any experience with the two and can comment on how much difference could there be in stopping distance if the pads used with either set of rotors are the same?""""



    I dont see the car info in this thread, so I cannot answer your question for certain.

    THE YEAR MATTERS !!!

    Facts for most Gens:

    1) StopTech Aero 2pc slotted rotors have proven vane technology that moves +60% more air thru the rotor vs OE. Cooler Rotors, Cooler Pads, Less Fade.

    2) Rotating Mass is BAD and robs stopping power. StopTech 2pc is significantly lighter than other brands. POUNDS lighter, not ounces.

    3) Baer are definitely prettier, and a bit less $$. Even if NOT tracked, Holy Rotors propagate more cracking and dont last as long. So dollars per mile are higher

    4) One-time cold stopping power as NHTSA measures? Or endurance? STOPTECH WINS!

    E-Me to disccuss options. JonB@PartsRack.com Thanks


    HISSSTORY TIDBIT FACT: A Viper GTS-R racing in ALMS at Laguna Seca was using slotted-drilled (sponsored) rotors. David Donohue driving.

    Under hard brakes (T3?) his LF rotor disintegrated, and the in-car video shows shrapnel coming up THRU the hood like a shotgun blast. His brakes gone, he went straight into the tire wall, as corner workers initially fled the flying tires. Underhood fire!

    He was OK. Car was badly damaged.

    Now I am NO David D, and incapable of overdriving an endurance racer like that, But Im not a fan of holey-steel rotors on hard-tracked HPDE or Race cars, even if the sponsor pays for an unlimited supply!
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 1 Week Ago at 02:30 PM.
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com


  7. #7
    Thanks everyone for your responses, great information and all the pictures. Very helpful. I sincerely appreciate it!!

    Sorry, yes, I should have mentioned the car specifics. It's a Gen 3 (2005) Convertible; (Paxton, American Racing Headers, Chambered exhaust, A&C Tuned, etc.). Now looking to upgrade brakes and suspension (MCS).

    Not much experience on the track as such but have done some drag, auto-cross, California/Fontana Speedway, and Laguna Seca (in other cars not Viper).

    I am looking to get these rotors primarily for the looks BUT better stopping power is just as important to me.

    My other car (Mercedes CLS63 AMG with Performance Package) comes with slotted AND drilled rotors (made by Brembo) from the factory. Now I am on my second set of rotors on that car and have not experienced any issues. This could certainly be due to my street use or maybe Brembo's rotors are better (at least for the street use).

    If I were to track the car I wouldn't get drilled and would opt for slotted only but since my use is primarily limited to street, I was considering slotted+drilled as it definitely adds to the look of the car - BUT - at the same time, in addition to the better looks I do appreciate better braking performance as well.

  8. #8
    Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Fatboy 18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South of London, Surrey
    Posts
    6,653
    OK Gen 3 there are more options.
    Not Drilled but Slotted floating discs
    https://www.girodisc.com/Rotors_c_478.html

    And of course contact all the other vendors who sponsor here
    Last edited by Fatboy 18; 1 Week Ago at 05:48 AM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Raheel View Post
    My other car (Mercedes CLS63 AMG with Performance Package) comes with slotted AND drilled rotors (made by Brembo) from the factory. Now I am on my second set of rotors on that car and have not experienced any issues. This could certainly be due to my street use or maybe Brembo's rotors are better (at least for the street use).
    Merc also recommends new rotors whenever you change pads to the tune of $1,100 per rotor. If you want to change out rotors like that to stay safe wish I made your money.

  10. #10
    Enthusiast Old Surfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Melbourne Beach, Florida
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy 18 View Post
    I run the Baer Eradispeed 2 piece rotors and hats on my Gen II, but I ordered mine Slotted only which the company do but don't seem to list? (so contact them to confirm).
    I did have the earlier slotted and drilled rotors but started getting cracking between the holes, now before all the people chime in with horror stories, fatigue cracking around the holes is normal and is only a issue if the cracks join up across the rotor.

    Here's My New setup. (these are standard size 13" Rotors, not the Big Brake kit).

    I can't comment on Stoptech as I have never used them.


    Album link here Front Brakes
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/905823...57648752133313
    Note, Baer changed out the size of the aluminium hat and disc to hat configuration so that is why there are various pictures.


    Album link here Rear Brakes
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/905823...h/16380825708/

    Im happy with them.

    One other thing I have fitted to my car is a front Brake fluid recycle system to prevent brake fade, buts something for another thread and not applicable to street driving.
    Where did you get the rear caliper covers?

  11. #11
    Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    Fatboy 18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    South of London, Surrey
    Posts
    6,653
    If I remember correctly Tom who did the 40mm rear caliper upgrade.

    Not seen Tom about on the forums much anymore the last few years.

    If you click on the Album link all the info is there for you to make your own.

    If Tom was still producing stuff I would have sent you there
    Last edited by Fatboy 18; 5 Days Ago at 03:42 PM.


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •