Carolina Motorsports Park repaved

I walked the track yesterday and it is smooth as silk. The new owner is putting a ton of money into revitalizing CMP and creating a great facility. He invited me to a track event which has not been announced yet for August 15th so if anyone has interest in attending the first open road course day for street cars with DOT tires only (track surface still needs to cure a bit more race cars/tires) post up and I'll keep you informed. Fun times ahead.
    CMP3.jpg
    CMP4.jpg
    CMP5.jpg
    CMP6.jpg
    CMP7.jpg
    Blake

2016 1 of 1 Viper GTC Prefix 9.0 Stroker Stage 2 Arrow

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Western Reserve
    What's the stats on this track?
    Comp Coupe VCC#77 - Complete Performance Motorsports
    2017 Vooodoo II ACR-E
    2014 Viper GTS & 1996 Viper GTS Twin Turbo - Gone, but not forgotten.

I mean the stock tires on ACRs are basically race tires.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Carolinas
    Hoosier R7's are DOT tires.
    2015 Comp Blue TA 2.0 #001

Quote Originally Posted by Simms View Post
    What's the stats on this track?
    Here is a link:

https://www.carolinamotorsportspark....ad-course.html
    Blake

Got the announcement today. I'll be out there.

Be Among the First to Drive Your Car on CMP's New Surface

Turn One Track Day
    Saturday, August 15

Carolina Motorsports Park is hosting the first track day since the 2.27 mile road course repave! A once in a lifetime chance to be one of the first vehicles to drive on this fresh, professionally engineered surface.

DOT-approved street tires only
    Tread-wear rating 100 or higher, factory cast into sidewall.
    (No "DOT Slicks" permitted)
    Blake

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    WV/PA
    What is going on n the 14th. I'd hate to make a drive from PA for only 1 day of track time...
    1996 Nextel CupCar FS
    2003 Comp Coupe FS

There is a ribbon cutting ceremony with at $10 donation for each car participating (parade laps around the track) going to charity. I'm not going to that event. This is simply the first track day on the new surface. It's almost sold out at this point.
    Blake

Regional Secretary
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Carolinas
    How much for Saturday?
    98 GTS (sold)
    14 GTS (sold)
    06 coupe

Blake

Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Carolinas

From what I understand is racing slicks will be allowed after the 22nd. I am running there on September 7th with a small group of 25 cars for charity event. FYI there is also an event on Sept 12&13 to run the Charlotte Roval. I will be there on the 12th.

Quote Originally Posted by MoparJohn View Post
    From what I understand is racing slicks will be allowed after the 22nd. I am running there on September 7th with a small group of 25 cars for charity event. FYI there is also an event on Sept 12&13 to run the Charlotte Roval. I will be there on the 12th.
    Cool. Yes, no race cars/race tires yet as they want to get a little rubber on track first. I'm going to use up my Pirelli's at this event and then time to order some R888R's or Sport Cup 2's. Haven't decided yet.
    Blake

Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Carolinas

Quote Originally Posted by ViperNC View Post
    Cool. Yes, no race cars/race tires yet as they want to get a little rubber on track first. I'm going to use up my Pirelli's at this event and then time to order some R888R's or Sport Cup 2's. Haven't decided yet.
    The Toyo's are complete garbage in my opinion. Worst "performance" tire ever for a track. I purchased a set on the recommendation of some people in the Viper world and have been incredibly disapointed. I can't wait for them to be burned up so I can change them out. Here are my reasons. 1. Road noise. Anything over 70 you get huge road noise and you think your diff is about to explode. I run VIR quite a bit and you can clearly hear the tire noise over the motor at WOT near the redline. That's how loud it is. 2. For every 30 minute session you only get 2 to 3 laps before the tires are greasy and start and you loose grip. It seems people on the forums love the 888, but they are only autcrossing or doing half mile events. Both of which I have zero interest in. I have a friend who is a pro driver and instructor and he ran back to back sessions in the 888 and the Pirelli Corsa. The Corsa was 3 seconds faster.
    Now onto the Michelins. I have a set of Sport Cup 2's on another set of wheels that I use as my everyday tire. 1. No road noise. 2. Great in the rain 3. Very consistent tire without the fall off like the 888 or the Corsa. My 3rd set of wheels holds a set of Hoosier R7's now if you want a serious track tire with INSANE grip then Hoosier is what you need. For the best all around street and track. Michelin all day long.
    obviously all of this is my opinion.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

ViperNC -- agree with a lot of MoparJohn's comments ( especially concerning the R888rs ), except I am not fond of the Corsa's for a track tire. You put-up two choices and the answer is easy , go with the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s - nuff said.
    Retired and time to get back on track ---literally!

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Southern California
    ViperNC, looks like a great track. I only knew it from that old TV show, "are you faster than a redneck," and it looked real small. Guessing they filmed on the East course.

That full course set up looks really fast!! Enjoy. Mike
    1994 Red/Tan RT/10, '99 red ACR- sold, '06 Red/Silver Coupe-RIP, '06 Red/Silver Coupe - Sold, '08 Red/Silver ACR-C sold, 2006 Comp Coupe C-92

Quote Originally Posted by MoparJohn View Post
    The Toyo's are complete garbage in my opinion. Worst "performance" tire ever for a track. I purchased a set on the recommendation of some people in the Viper world and have been incredibly disapointed. I can't wait for them to be burned up so I can change them out. Here are my reasons. 1. Road noise. Anything over 70 you get huge road noise and you think your diff is about to explode. I run VIR quite a bit and you can clearly hear the tire noise over the motor at WOT near the redline. That's how loud it is. 2. For every 30 minute session you only get 2 to 3 laps before the tires are greasy and start and you loose grip. It seems people on the forums love the 888, but they are only autcrossing or doing half mile events. Both of which I have zero interest in. I have a friend who is a pro driver and instructor and he ran back to back sessions in the 888 and the Pirelli Corsa. The Corsa was 3 seconds faster.
    Now onto the Michelins. I have a set of Sport Cup 2's on another set of wheels that I use as my everyday tire. 1. No road noise. 2. Great in the rain 3. Very consistent tire without the fall off like the 888 or the Corsa. My 3rd set of wheels holds a set of Hoosier R7's now if you want a serious track tire with INSANE grip then Hoosier is what you need. For the best all around street and track. Michelin all day long.
    obviously all of this is my opinion.
    That helps a lot. I've always been a little biased towards Michelin and was a little unsure about the R888R's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    ViperNC -- agree with a lot of MoparJohn's comments ( especially concerning the R888rs ), except I am not fond of the Corsa's for a track tire. You put-up two choices and the answer is easy , go with the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s - nuff said.
    Looking foward to burning off the remaining life for the Corsa's. Probably just go at 80-90% this Saturday and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTanRT/10 View Post
    ViperNC, looks like a great track. I only knew it from that old TV show, "are you faster than a redneck," and it looked real small. Guessing they filmed on the East course. That full course set up looks really fast!! Enjoy. Mike
    Yeah, that show was pretty pathetic and they should have run the full course. The carousel and the kink are two of the best sections of track which they didn't use. CMP is kind of a point and shoot track with 3 hard braking zones. The rest is good flow. Most people roll off the throttle too much at the kink, but if you stay in the gas you'll get a good lap time.
    Blake