Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Ready to start the search process couple questions

Well, I'm finally ready to start the process to find a Viper!!Whoot! I have pretty much decided on a Gen IV Coupe(really want a V but not in the cards at the moment). So I see a few for sale that have my interest. Main use is crusier with the wife and vacation trips in the car to twisty road locations. I am not to picky on colors, but have seen a few of the ACR cars that just look mean. So what is the ride quaility like in an ACR compared to the standard, again with my main use as back roads and trips. I don't see many track days in my future, 1 or 2 at most. Also honestly cruise and air con are pretty important, i have '70 Cuda and its fun to drive but no air sucks, I am getting soft in my older years....Do all Gen IV come with air con and cruise? Also my wife is about 5'-1 or a bit under, any idea if she would be able to drive it? She likes to drive as much as i do. Thanks for any input. I'm sure i will have more as I go.

All Gen 4 cars came with A/C, but none came with cruise control. It can be added aftermarket, but it won't be OEM fit/finish if that's important to you.

https://www.viperpartsusa.com/produc...2008-10-srt10/

My wife is 5'4", and drove it with the stock seats, no problem. I've since lowered the rear of the seat ~1", so she would now need something to sit on to make up the difference. The pedal assembly can be moved forward/back to suit most drivers. I'm 6'4", and I wouldn't want to be any taller...it's a tight fit for me as-is.

I can't comment on the ride quality of the ACR vs. a standard vert/coupe, but I'd expect it to ride much stiffer due to having to counteract the downforce applied by the wing.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Southern California
    Loren, the shock/spring set up in an ACR is pretty stiff. On LA freeways your wife would bail out. But you can buy softer springs and the swap is a fairly easy DIY

No factory cruise until G5 but there are aftermarket set ups for the other Generations
    1994 Red/Tan RT/10, '99 red ACR- sold, '06 Red/Silver Coupe-RIP, '06 Red/Silver Coupe - Sold, '08 Red/Silver ACR-C sold, 2006 Comp Coupe C-92

Enthusiast
    Thanks guys, very helpful.

Steve, I am not to worried about stock appearance, aftermarket cruise would be fine by me. I may have to look up some local Gen IV owners to see what its like to set in one and then my wife could try as well.

RedTan, yeah in my area with our roads I am sure she would bail. When i was just going over your post with her I got the wrinkled nose look, so I am thinking that the ACR is out.

Excited to finally be looking for one of my dream cars. I will be hitting the forum up as I find some cars to get advice and information on.

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Southern California
    For what your planning to do with a Viper you might want to consider a convertible. Top down is nice and I think your wife would like it. Passenger compartment is pretty tight, top down really opens it up. Convertibles are priced lower than coupe's. Good luck in your hunt!! Mike
    1994 Red/Tan RT/10, '99 red ACR- sold, '06 Red/Silver Coupe-RIP, '06 Red/Silver Coupe - Sold, '08 Red/Silver ACR-C sold, 2006 Comp Coupe C-92

I realize you are in far northern Indiana, but it would be worth your while to talk to Steve-Indy. He has a wealth of first hand experience/knowledge with all generation Vipers...I'm sure he could get you headed in the right direction.

Just keep in mind that while it might cost a bit more up front, it is worth it to pay a little more for a no stories car. Again, Steve-Indy will likely have a good bead on ones that would fit that description. It also seems that not all available Vipers are publicly listed for sale...that's where this community can help.

Be honest with yourself about what you really want (it sounds like you are well on your way), be patient, and see if you can at least arrange a ride before you buy. These are unique cars, and as such are not without their quirks. That said, I've personally loved every minute I've owned mine. There's just nothing else like it on the road.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

Enthusiast
    Mike, thanks again, neither of us care much for convertibles, but I did notice they are a bit cheaper and more plentiful. I have been looking on line at Vipers for about the last year, but just recently have gotten to a place that we both agree on getting one. Looking forward to the hunt!

Steve, thats a great idea, I will get in contact with Steve-Indy and get his advice. I have no problem driving down to Indy or near by for a ride along. I would prefer a Gen V, mostly because they are newer, but like you say I would like a no stories car and feel like that would be to far out of my range. I like the Gen IV almost as well from a design stand point and still only 12 years old or so. I don't mind working on my cars and they seem relatively easy as compared to newer viehicles.

Anyway really appreciate the time you both took. Looking forward to being a part of the community and doing some of the get togethers.

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Loren, welcome to the Viper world !!

In my opinion, you are making good choices. As Steve M has suggested, hold out for what YOU want...and be patient. I also agree with him that very often very fine examples trade privately.

As it happens, there will be a large Viper gathering in Elkhart on October 24th at a Viper owner's race shop. He expects a large turnout of Vipers from IL, MI, IN, and possibly more. This is posted in the IN/KY section of this forum. I am SURE our host would encourage you to stop by. Hell, maybe Steve M will come !!
    This event is somewhat unusual in that is includes ALL Viper owners, potential sellers and buyers. Certainly, a person on a Viper hunt could gain a ton of valuable info here...along with great contacts.
    Did I mention the race cars that will be displayed??

Finally, feel free to call me if you want to talk Vipers...including minor differences within the Gen IV cars.
    My cell is 317 402 9013...and it turns on at 6:00 AM and stays on til 9:00 PM EDT.

Best regards,

Steve Fess
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren jones View Post
    I don't mind working on my cars and they seem relatively easy as compared to newer vehicles.
    These are pretty easy cars to work on. I've tinkered with most of the major subsystems on my '08 for various reasons - clutch, transmission, differential, brakes, shocks, etc. None of it was because I really had to...it was more just trying to improve on things. I've not really run into any surprises, and most everything I've done has been documented somewhere on this board. Lots of other folks around here have done the same, so you shouldn't have to start from scratch on anything. Bonus points if you have a lift. Everything I've done has been on jack stands in my garage.

Enthusiast
    Steve-Indy, Thanks for chiming in.
    I have seen the notice, in fact my shop is across the street from the host, I have been setting in my office and watched him pull out when going to races(missed seeing that this year!). In fact I believe I was working the Saturday you all were last there, but at the time I wasn't following on the forum and wasn't sure what was going on, but was in awe of all the Vipers! I also try to stop over at the mechanics shop when I hear them on the dyno, hard to miss that sound!! I hope to be able to stop in. I will contact Mr. Sweers and see how long he intends the day to last.

Hopefully I will be able to meet some of you.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Small world !!

I am sure that it will last through the afternoon...hope to see you there.

If you’re looking at a Gen 4 acr you at the same price point as a gen 5 non acr. You sound like you’re trying to sell yourself that you can settle for a gem 4 viper. Everyone’s situation is different but I wouldn’t settle for something when spending the kind of money these cars cost. Besides they are luxury items so saving a little longer isn’t going to make you go hungry.

Enthusiast
    Charger, Actually you're not far off, I guess I don't see it as settling, but being able to enjoy a Viper that better fits my budget at this time then not having one at all. Thanks for the reality check though, like you said with the cost of these I want to get it right the first time.

I was there for a bit. Trying to sell myself on getting a coupe when I really wanted an ACR. Finally told myself that I never sell cars so why settle for something that I’ll have until I die and always wonder what if I had the ACR.

Enthusiast
    Ha, you must know me or you're my long lost brother.....that is how I am as well, I can get rid of a transportation vehicle, but not much else. I have thought of selling my cuda many times but not going to happen, even for a Viper....you have got me thinking thats for sure......not sure I could actually regret getting a Gen IV but I would still want a V.

I will try to get a ride in both Gen's, that may very well make up my mind in the end.

I will second the comment about the Gen IV ACR ride quality. It's an amazing machine if you're into twisty roads and all that, but not ideal for cruising and vacation trips. My wife can only stand riding in my ACR for short trips around town. That being said, you should be able to find a decent gen V for the price of a nice gen IV ACR. What is your budget? Gen V interior is certainly nicer than Gen IV, so you would probably like that better for long trips.

Drove my 2010 ACR a little over 700 miles home when I bought it. Ride quality is what I expected of a low sports car and honestly the real stressful part of my road trip was the HEAVY rainfall. Like people in their Hondas were pulling over and turning flashers on thats how heavy the rain was. The car didn’t really feel planted on some parts of the road just due to standing water.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    One can tame the ride on an ACR by using standard Viper tires instead of the cup tires. Many have made that switch for highway use.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    One can tame the ride on an ACR by using standard Viper tires instead of the cup tires. Many have made that switch for highway use.
    Ahh I forgot that the last owner didn’t change over to the standard viper tires when he bought the car. Probably the reason I was able to deal with that rain!

Enthusiast
    Huh, well maybe the ACR's not out of the running? Maybe a shock/spring change as well?

Budget in the mid $70's, possibly a bit higher for right car. Haven't seen a Gen V that low in quite a while. There are a couple Gen IV ACR's in the mid to upper $70's but not sure on if they have stories or not.

If you change the suspension that kinda defeats a big reason for buying an ACR.

Enthusiast
    Yeah, point taken. Probably best to stay with the standard IV or go V, like you said before.

Part of the fun in searching....

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Southern California
    The coil overs don’t need to be changed, just softer springs.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTanRT/10 View Post
    The coil overs don’t need to be changed, just softer springs.
    Coil=spring....

VOA Member
    since 2016
    Indiana/Kentucky

I'm here near Steve in Zionsville, would be happy to take you and your wife for a drive any time you can make it down here. I sold my 69 Coronet R/T convertible and 69 Road Runner to buy my 2008 ACR and have loved every minute of it. For me, nothing compares to this car, especially in the price range and being a lifelong Mopar guy. I don't think it rides too bad, it is definitely stiff depending on the road, but not bad at all. No matter SRT or ACR, just be prepared for attention, more than the Cuda, when you're out driving. I'll try to make it to the Elkhart event with Steve also.

Darren

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast