Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota

Add another North American track record

IMG_1227.jpg
    track3.jpg

I’m happy to say, even after 3 years since production stopped, the Viper ACR continues to add more North American Track records to its resume!

During my last TA event of the year hosted by WSCC at GMP (Gimli Motorsport Park) I managed to push through the long standing
    one-minute barrier posting a time of 0:59:752 and setting a new production car track record in the process. (Beat the previous record by almost a half second)
    I was lucky enough to follow it up with 2 more 59 second runs in subsequent sessions.

A huge heartfelt thanks to WSCC organization, the volunteers, and to the many far more talented fellow drivers and friends who are nice enough to share their knowledge, tips, instruction, and guidance with me. The Viper ACR-E continues to be an absolute amazing piece of machinery and art!
    00 RT, Black w/matte black , Roe 10lb charged, GG heads, cam, Borla, M&M, etc
    2017 ACR-E

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Southern California
    Big time Congrats
    2010 ACRx #24
    2017 Real ACR 1C3BDECZXHV******

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    WV/PA
    Congratulations and thanks for sharing!
    -2008 Venom Red ACR Hardcore

Congrats on the track record! But, what kind of surface is that in the first photo - chip seal??????

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
    Congrats on the track record! But, what kind of surface is that in the first photo - chip seal??????
    LOL! Nope. Just very old faded pavement with a few patches. Good news is the track is looking to resurface shortly
    2017 ACR-E

Well done! That's a great achievement, running a sub 1. I instructed at Gimli many years ago and the surface wasn't great way back then. It must be extra hard on tires these days! But you're lucky that you're able to use it as I recall it being a heck of a long way away from any other Canadian road course.

You should share that track's incredible claim to fame with forum readers. It's an amazing story that involved sportscars, a Boeing 767, and the metric system. Being the track record holder, it's your story to tell.
    2015 TA 2.0 Venom Black. 2001 Sapphire Blue Roadster SOLD, 1994 Viper Black Roadster SOLD

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    Arizona
    Love the story. Congratulations!
    Washed-up Viper pilot.

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Arizona
    Awesome, congrats!
    A few words of CAUTION to those who think
    a VIPER looks MEAN, ARROGANT and HOSTILE...
    CUT OUT THE FLATTERY!

That is awesome, congrats!!!!
    09 ACR With all the goodies
    99 ACR TT 99 red RT/10 Roe S/C
    97 B/W RT/10 TT 94 RT/10 TT

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by TA Two Oh View Post
    Well done! That's a great achievement, running a sub 1. I instructed at Gimli many years ago and the surface wasn't great way back then. It must be extra hard on tires these days! But you're lucky that you're able to use it as I recall it being a heck of a long way away from any other Canadian road course.

You should share that track's incredible claim to fame with forum readers. It's an amazing story that involved sportscars, a Boeing 767, and the metric system. Being the track record holder, it's your story to tell.
    Let me guess - there was a little fuel involved?
    2000 Viper GTS (sold), 2016 Viper ACR-E
    Drivers: 2011 Z06/Z07, 62 Corvette, 2015 Camaro 1LE SS
    Track Cars: NASA Spec Ford Focus, 56 Corvette tube chassis

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Badass dude! Congrats! What car held the record before you?
    2013 track car, 2016 ACR, 1996 GTS, 2001 RT/10, 2003 SRT/10

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

Considering this Epic run, please report if another record was broken since this was on a Canadian Track ----- more beer drank in celebration than ever before, ha. Way to go and really fun to hear more success for a car our competition often said wasn't a real track machine.
    Retired and time to get back on track ---literally!

Supporting Vendor
    Supporting Vendor
    Nicely done 1/2 second and you backed it a couple times .......... awesome !!! 58s next time
    have fun be safe

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    NY/CT

Great job,keep adding those records and breaking records

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota

Very cool! Not too many people are familiar with the GMP circuit. It's pretty rough now, but we're still happy to have it.

For the sake of brevity, let's just say not everyone was on the same wavelength when it came to calculating how much fuel was onboard
    (due to the conversion from imperial to metric measurements).
    The plane ran out of fuel mid-flight but the captain and co-pilot, who happened to also be a glider pilot,
    somehow managed to wrestle the jetliner and glide it hundreds of miles to a rough landing on an old air force runway.
    This turned out to be quite a shock to the all racers and crowd who were there, since a portion of the old abandoned runway
    is now part of an NHRA dragstrip and the road course circuit! Anyhow, the plane landed with zero power, running gear collapsed, and it skidded to a stop
    right near the end of the long straight. The track and various racers used their fire extinguishers to put out the small fire ...and all the passengers were safe!

Oddly enough, later on Air Canada dispatched a crew to make repairs to the plane and it went back into service.
    However on the drive up to Gimli their van ran out of gas.LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Loud View Post
    Awesome, congrats!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 99RT10 View Post
    That is awesome, congrats!!!!
    Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    Considering this Epic run, please report if another record was broken since this was on a Canadian Track ----- more beer drank in celebration than ever before, ha. Way to go and really fun to hear more success for a car our competition often said wasn't a real track machine.
    Bill, I cannot confirm nor deny this rumour. lol!

Quote Originally Posted by TKO MOTORSPORTS TEAM View Post
    Nicely done 1/2 second and you backed it a couple times .......... awesome !!! 58s next time
    have fun be safe
    Thanks! There is definitely more time to be found.
    2017 ACR-E

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    Badass dude! Congrats! What car held the record before you?
    I believe a ZO6 held the record in 2018. (just under 1:01:00)
    For the last several years a fellow driver (and friend of mine) was working to get under the one minute mark and earlier this summer he
    managed to eek out a 1:00:25 in a very fast 2019 ZL1 1LE Camaro.
    A few Porsches, a GT3 RS, several ZO6 vettes, three ZL1 1LE Camaros, a Lotus Super7, one of my best friends (Dason) in his GenV Viper GTS,
    and a few other "modifieds" are some of the faster cars/drivers that regularly run. It seems all the cars are getting faster and faster.
    Last edited by RT SERPENT; 10-16-2020 at 02:21 PM.
    2017 ACR-E

Got any video of the run?

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Let me guess - there was a little fuel involved?
    Exactly! I recall seeing a photo of the plane about to land, with people running out of its way. It's a good thing that someone happened to spot it. Apparently planes don't have horns. This is a cool shot:
    IMG_1413.JPG
    2015 TA 2.0 Venom Black. 2001 Sapphire Blue Roadster SOLD, 1994 Viper Black Roadster SOLD

Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Sincere congrats, WhoEver You Are !?! Russ? Obviously Faster Than a B737!"

This is the 9,732nd time I wish I knew who was posting, vs the anonymous sigs.

I wanna know who I am bragging about ! "Some Guy"....
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:20 PM.
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    Glad you gave us this exciting news. Great job driving!!!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    Got any video of the run?
    Unfortunately no video. Gotta get a better mount for my iPhone. It's so shakey I almost never use it.
    2017 ACR-E

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    Sincere grats, WhoEver You Are !?! Russ? Obviously Faster Than a B737!"

This is the 9,732nd time I wish I knew who was posting, vs the anonymous sigs.

I wanna know who I am bragging about ! "Some Guy"....
    LOL! yup it's me, Russ.
    BTW, I'll be hitting you up again for next season's tire supply.
    Last edited by RT SERPENT; 10-16-2020 at 02:18 PM.
    2017 ACR-E

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    Exactly! I recall seeing a photo of the plane about to land, with people running out of its way. It's a good thing that someone happened to spot it. Apparently planes don't have horns. This is a cool shot:
    IMG_1413.JPG
    It's like, "Fun's over... nothing to see here... everyone back to racing!"
    2017 ACR-E

I was at a Porshe club DE/TT in Corpus Christi, TX about 20 years ago. It was being held at Cabaniss NALS, one of two auxiliary fields for the Navy's big base there. It is just southeast of CC International Airport, on a 310 heading. (all 4 airports have runways on a 310 heading). I was working a corner during Saturday practice when a small twin was descending to land on top of us - flaps and gear down, lights on. Obviously confused at cars all over the place, I saw him wiggle a little bit - level off, throttle up, then pull the gear back in the fuselage and fly on to CCIA. We all waved at him. :lol: About a year later, one of Southwest's 737s landed short at Cabaniss on that same runway. They had to haul some stairs and baggage conveyors across town so people could deplane! Ooops!

And for a quality phone mount, check out RAM: https://www.rammount.com/product-lines
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GTS Dean; 10-16-2020 at 06:17 PM.

You are too modest. Technology has progressed. Despite passage of time and technology improvements, you set the record. Obviously you are a very very good driver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast