How much would you pay for this Gen I

Gen I experts, I need your opinion!!!

I'm looking for a red Gen I, as much stock as possible (for future value, and because I like it).

Today I went to see a car. It's a 1994 with 39.000 miles. I test drove it and it seems to run great.
    Gen II rims. In the future I need for sure the original Gen I.
    No A/C. Can be installed? How much? (Not necessary, but a nice to have).
    Some small cosmetic issue on the rear bumper and just behind the front wheels on the exhaust covers. I think not more than $500 at the body shop.
    Seats and interior are good enough, but there's a horrible carbon look sticker all around the dash. It can be removed, but I think that taking out the glue will be hard. So I need to consider to wrap the dash in leather or vinyl.
    Soft roof and passenger windows are good, but there is a 2 inches cut in the plastic area of the driver window. I don't know if it can be repaired or needs to be replaced. All the bags included.
    Tonneau cover included.
    Brand new Michelin Pilot (3 weeks).
    New battery.
    No idea about the gasket. Do you think that after 40.000 miles and 26 years, the original one could still be there?

What is the range you would pay for this car?

Thank you guys.

Here some pictures

VOA Member
    since 2019
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by Devix View Post

I'm looking for a red Gen I, as much stock as possible (for future value, and because I like it).

Today I went to see a car. It's a 1994 with 39.000 miles. I test drove it and it seems to run great.
    Some small cosmetic issue on the rear bumper and just behind the front wheels on the exhaust covers. I think not more than $500 at the body shop.
    Seats and interior are good enough, but there's a horrible carbon look sticker all around the dash. It can be removed, but I think that taking out the glue will be hard. So I need to consider to wrap the dash in leather or vinyl.
    Soft roof and passenger windows are good, but there is a 2 inches cut in the plastic area of the driver window. I don't know if it can be repaired or needs to be replaced. All the bags included.
    Tonneau cover included.
    New battery.
    No idea about the gasket. Do you think that after 40.000 miles and 26 years, the original one could still be there?

Thank you guys.
    Just throwing my opinion, there are a good amount of Gen 1s out there with less than half the miles so have to look at the prices of those, plenty out there (1994/1995) with 10-20k miles in the mid $30k range and have been for sale for a long time, there is a very nice looking 94 on offer up with 17k miles for $29k which is one of the better deals I've seen out there, a nice 94 on eBay at $27.9 in texas, a bunch on search tempest for craigslist and every car sale publication has plenty Gen 1s again in mid $30k range so with 40k miles and the above description I would say anything more than mid $20k range I would be patient and definitely looking at other options.

There is just allot of options out there and some pretty good deals

VOA Member
    since 2019
    Arizona

Tonneau cover included.
    New battery.

Thank you guys.
    I seen that car on CL... Front end looked awfully low in some of the pics as well

We have a deal at $25k.

Do you think it is worth? I prefer to spend less than mid $30k and less miles. I need a reliable car. 39.000 miles is not a big deal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertk View Post
    I seen that car on CL... Front end looked awfully low in some of the pics as well
    Thanks for your answer.

Do you mean that there is something wrong with the front bumper? I couldn't find this car on CL, only on Hemmings.

One good thing about this car is that it's only 3 hours from where I live, so I would save between $500 and $1000 compared to going far away (rent truck and trailer).

VOA Member
    since 2019
    Arizona
    Thanks for your answer.

Do you mean that there is something wrong with the front bumper? I couldn't find this car on CL, only on Hemmings.

One good thing about this car is that it's only 3 hours from where I live, so I would save between $500 and $1000 compared to going far away (rent truck and trailer).
    Nothing wrong with the front bumper just looks like it may have been lowered by a few of the pics, just looked like it sat low but may have just been the pics, you may want to check out Miami CL, 94 with 17k miles for $29k and look ks like a nice car, $25k is a reasonable price non this one, I've had a 95 with 30k and now a 99 with 20k and both great cars

VOA Member
    since 2019
    Arizona
    Thanks for your answer.

Found it in Clarksville either north or south Carolina area I'm guessing, front end definitely looks too low, emblems are wrong and also in the wrong place... might be a handful, doesn't look well taken care to me and I think for a little more money you can get a much better car with a better past

Quote Originally Posted by Robertk View Post
    Found it in Clarksville either north or south Carolina area I'm guessing, front end definitely looks too low, emblems are wrong and also in the wrong place... might be a handful, doesn't look well taken care to me and I think for a little more money you can get a much better car with a better past
    Yes, it is that one.
    Ok thanks a lot. Do you think that trying to lower the price can be worth?
    Other opinions?

Here is a little video

Thanks again.

We have a deal at $25k.

Do you think it is worth? I prefer to spend less than mid $30k and less miles. I need a reliable car. 39.000 miles is not a big deal to me.
    $25K, you're stealing that car even if you have to put sometime/effort in to it. I would confirm that the head gaskets are MLS and check the frame thoroughly
    09 ACR With all the goodies
    99 ACR TT 99 red RT/10 Roe S/C
    97 B/W RT/10 TT 94 RT/10 TT

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Houston
    Paid 33.5 for a 93 “antenna” with 31k on the clock. I honestly
    Should’ve went to see it in person. Instead
    Of receiving what Inthougjt Inwould, it is def a problem car. it won’t be after I bring it up to my standards. but, do your due diligence, I was lazy, and will now pay the price. Ultimately it will be a fun car, but it was not a bargain.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

The answer is no on installing A/C since there have not been parts to build for a decade and I always tell folks to look very hard at Gen 1s since so many need easily 5-10K worth of repairs. Heck, often the side sills have bubbles in them and that is not paint bubbling it is electrolysis -- can be super expensive to fix or replace those aluminum pieces. Add in calibrating the throttle bodies , making sure the head gaskets are ok, other gaskets are old and could need replacing, hood issues , etc. and it is easy to spend big bucks. For some reason folks don't go in with a clear head thinking they are looking at a car soon to be 30 years old. Doesn't matter who made the car, it is going to have age related concerns and the first thing I would say is get it on a lift. Listen to USAFPILOT, as his experience is not uncommon.
    Retired and time to get back on track ---literally!

Thank you all.
    I don't have enough experience to evaluate all the potential problems and at the end I have the feeling that this is not the right car for me.
    I ran the Carfax and it had 5 owners and 1 incident "hit a guide rail".
    I'm not in hurry, I think I'll wait for a better one.

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Carolinas
    ^^^^^ Good Idea.
    Keep in mind, almost any Gen l or Gen ll Viper will need work. If you're going to have repairs done by a mechanic, rather than yourself, parts can be expensive and cost for labor at the shop extremely expensive...like in the thousands (believe me, I know).
    If you want things to stay the same, things will have to change.
    2002 Red RT/10

VOA Member
    since 2019
    Arizona
    Agreed, I think your making the right decision

Thank you all again.
    I saw two Gen I so far, and thanks to your experience, maybe I realized that it's not the car for me. I'm not a collector. I want to have fun and use the Viper (still about 2/3000 miles per year, not much).
    Maybe a 2003 Gen III can better fit my purpose.

VOA Member
    since 2018
    Carolinas
    Look into the Gen ll vipers, especially 2002, the last year for the rt/10 body style. Real wind up windows, ABS, more power, improved suspension, and more. Oh, and they all have AC too. Forget about Gen lll Vipers in my most humble opinion
    If you want things to stay the same, things will have to change.
    2002 Red RT/10

I don't like the rear exhausts and the steering wheel of Gen II.
    What's wrong with Gen III?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

Gen IIIs normally have fewer problems , but you will be in a different price zone if that is your second choice?
    Retired and time to get back on track ---literally!

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2014
    NY/CT
    Thank you all again.
    I saw two Gen I so far, and thanks to your experience, maybe I realized that it's not the car for me. I'm not a collector. I want to have fun and use the Viper (still about 2/3000 miles per year, not much).
    Maybe a 2003 Gen III can better fit my purpose.
    My honest assessment would be to shoot for the one that you want; don't settle. If you want a Red Gen 1, then shop for a Red Gen 1. It will eventually come up, and you'll be happier in the long run.

At first I thought $25K seemed pretty reasonable, until it kissed a guard rail. I think under most circumstances Vipers aren't hitting guard rails going at a very low speed.

Hang in there, take your time and keep arming yourself with Viper research while you wait.
    Matt-
    2002 GTS - Graphite Metallic with Silver Stripes

NY/CT VOA - find us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nyctvoa/

I ran the Carfax and it had 5 owners and 1 incident "hit a guide rail".
    Ohhhh. Then you'll certainly want to get in touch with Dave6666. He's our resident expert in guard rail and red Vipers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    Gen IIIs normally have fewer problems , but you will be in a different price zone if that is your second choice?
    Yes absolutely. I know the difference, but I'm not in a hurry.
    My plan has always been to buy it not earlier than next spring. I was interested in this one, because it seemed a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by thetalonguy View Post
    My honest assessment would be to shoot for the one that you want; don't settle. If you want a Red Gen 1, then shop for a Red Gen 1. It will eventually come up, and you'll be happier in the long run.
    I like Gen I for what it represents, but hopefully thanks to this little experience (and the forum), I realized that Gen I is not for me.
    I like Gen III too and I think it's more usable, at least you have roof and windows

Thanks for sharing your experience, it is absolutely useful.