Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by str5010 View Post
    If passing is limited to the straights and given how much variance there will in the cars on track, it's certainly likely you could be held up behind someone regardless of how well they know the track.

My impression from the organizers is that this is meant to be more of a fun demonstration than a serious competition and the passing restrictions seem to support that.
    Correct. The passing restrictions are in place because sessions are in between World Challenge and if anyone crashes that session is gone, no way to make up for it and we don't want to hold sessions of the main organization that's there. I'm just trying to give some good advice, if you've never been there I highly recommend practicing Wednesday. If you can't, break out with your kids Xbox and at least play some Forza. hehe. A track like this would take me 7-8 full sessions to get within 1 second of my fastest possible lap. We get three sessions before awards, I say most people will be 20 seconds off their possible best with zero practice.

I've been doing serious time attack for a long time, I could help us all get much faster laps if we all discussed some things. The main thing is NEVER come on track late in a timed event. Boom you just destroyed everyone's lap times. Everyone's. Plus it's dangerous. Guys flying through their fastest lap #2 and your putting around on cold tires oblivious. Nasa, SCCA, Globat Time Attack, Grid Life etc, would never let a car on late. If you are slow, don't line up first, 30 guys are going to need to pass you, and when only 1-2 cars can pass on each straight, you just killed everyone's session along with your own as sweating in your mirrors the entire session with guys up your ass doesn't make you go faster.
    Last edited by Arizona Vipers; 08-02-2021 at 08:47 PM.
    @9literviper 2013 track car, 2016 ACR, 1996 GTS, 2001 RT/10, 2003 SRT/10

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Minnesota
    I am trying soooo hard not to be very excited for this, just in case we get locked out.

The Canada/U.S. Border is supposed to open just a couple of days before we leave. I've been accidentally holding my breath for a couple of weeks already.

I'm not racing, but I'm driving down on new tires and hoping to get those Sunset Laps.

And I really want to meet all you "Big Dogs" for the first time, put some faces with the names I have seen for so many years!

My fingers are so crossed they're starting to turn purple.

Dason
    First it was a '95 RT/10, then came the '01 GTS. Now it's a '14 GTS. They say the third time's the charm, I have to agree.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by Rare Snake View Post
    I am trying soooo hard not to be very excited for this, just in case we get locked out.

The Canada/U.S. Border is supposed to open just a couple of days before we leave. I've been accidentally holding my breath for a couple of weeks already.

I'm not racing, but I'm driving down on new tires and hoping to get those Sunset Laps.

And I really want to meet all you "Big Dogs" for the first time, put some faces with the names I have seen for so many years!

My fingers are so crossed they're starting to turn purple.

Dason
    This keeps happening at the Global Time Attack events, there's some big boys up there and they register, fingers crossed, then of course can never make it. It's insanity. Fingers crossed for you brother!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    I still think the event is supposed to be a fun one…. Some of this discussion might deter some folks from joining in the fun.
    Formerly Had - 2003 Viper SRT 10 black/black, 2013 LE #120, 2014 Carbon TA (#47/50, 1 of 10 TA's)
    2014 Jeep SRT8, 2015 Cadillac Escalade. 2016 ACR-E Anodized Carbon

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by docwviper View Post
    I still think the event is supposed to be a fun one…. Some of this discussion might deter some folks from joining in the fun.
    What event isn't fun? lol. Nothing is being discussed here that won't be discussed in the drivers meeting. Anyone here that knows this track well, post your pointers to help us all out! Anyone got any good onboard footage?

I'm one of 3 Gen 2 cars in time trial. There's going to be like 30 more Gen 3/4/5 cars out at the same time, many with heavy mods and aero. It is quite possible I will be the slowest car on track. We 3 will brake much earlier, corner much slower and most likely be far slower on the straights. We don't have subdivisions of mods, nor do we have run groups by experience. Even some of us slow guys have won class championships, BUT WE NEVER WENT W2W. Dodge isn't making parts for these cars anymore, so let's just all keep our heads cool and have some fun, OK?
    Last edited by GTS Dean; 08-01-2021 at 07:11 PM.
    96 GTS. Viper Days Modified Class. Fresh motor 10-2020!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    Amen and I’m in the wheel to wheel group

Quote Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
    I'm one of 3 Gen 2 cars in time trial. There's going to be like 30 more Gen 3/4/5 cars out at the same time, many with heavy mods and aero. Itbis quite possible I will be the slowest car on track. We 3 will brake much earlier, corner much slower and most likely be far slower on the straights. We don't have subdivisions of mods, nor do we have run groups by experience. Even some of us slow guys have won class championships, BUT WE NEVER WENT W2W. Dodge isn't making parts for these cars anymore, so let's just all keep our heads cool and have some fun, OK?
    Formerly Had - 2003 Viper SRT 10 black/black, 2013 LE #120, 2014 Carbon TA (#47/50, 1 of 10 TA's)
    2014 Jeep SRT8, 2015 Cadillac Escalade. 2016 ACR-E Anodized Carbon

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2020
    Carolinas
    I'm one of 3 Gen 2 cars in time trial. There's going to be like 30 more Gen 3/4/5 cars out at the same time, many with heavy mods and aero. Itbis quite possible I will be the slowest car on track. We 3 will brake much earlier, corner much slower and most likely be far slower on the straights. We don't have subdivisions of mods, nor do we have run groups by experience. Even some of us slow guys have won class championships, BUT WE NEVER WENT W2W. Dodge isn't making parts for these cars anymore, so let's just all keep our heads cool and have some fun, OK?
    Double Amen on this - I've actually raced quite a bit over the years, even at the professional level occasionally (not Bob Woodhouse level, but I've set 6 different track records in various classes), and when I hear folks being worried about being held up in a time trial, which has been billed as a fun event, that concerns me. And I have ALOT of respect for Arizona Vipers and the deepest admiration for what he's accomplished, and I do wish him to continue crushing track records - I really enjoy reading about his time attack successes - I just don't think this will be the venue for that. So please don't take that as an insult or any disrespect - I'm sure AZ Vipers is way faster than me and will probably set fastest time - but it does concern me to hear such talk for this viper days reunion, which is meant to be a last hurrah for many folks, and a fun event with a lot of mutual camaraderie. So please AZ, go easy on us old farts if we hold you up a bit! ;-)

Mark
    Mark O'Dell
    2002 Viper Competition Coupe Prototype P4

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by MO_Better View Post
    Double Amen on this - I've actually raced quite a bit over the years, even at the professional level occasionally (not Bob Woodhouse level, but I've set 6 different track records in various classes), and when I hear folks being worried about being held up in a time trial, which has been billed as a fun event, that concerns me. And I have ALOT of respect for Arizona Vipers and the deepest admiration for what he's accomplished, and I do wish him to continue crushing track records - I really enjoy reading about his time attack successes - I just don't think this will be the venue for that. So please don't take that as an insult or any disrespect - I'm sure AZ Vipers is way faster than me and will probably set fastest time - but it does concern me to hear such talk for this viper days reunion, which is meant to be a last hurrah for many folks, and a fun event with a lot of mutual camaraderie. So please AZ, go easy on us old farts if we hold you up a bit! ;-)

Mark
    LOL, people are gonna hold people up, no big deal, that's what way every track day is. I was just opening some discussion about it, especially about coming on track late, it really screws everyone up. I'm glad we got this thread fired back up in general, let's get each other pumped up! Can't wait to see your car dude!

I've been a bit hesitant to resurrect this photo, but I think it should be posted for the group to consider.

This is how my last trip to RA with Viper Days ended. I was really a hot dog, thinking I could be a solid #2 to Paul Mumford. I made a tire pressure adjustment between rounds and got a little loose on exit from the Kink. I knew it was gonna probably hurt if my side hit, so I tried as gently as possible to breathe the throttle and get the back gathered in. But, it snapped to the inside and hip-checked the wall.

Now, I just want to get solidly in the :30's, come home with the car unscathed and have a great weekend amongst old and new friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    I've been a bit hesitant to resurrect this photo, but I think it should be posted for the group to consider.

This is how my last trip to RA with Viper Days ended. I was really a hot dog, thinking I could be a solid #2 to Paul Mumford. I made a tire pressure adjustment between rounds and got a little loose on exit from the Kink. I knew it was gonna probably hurt if my side hit, so I tried as gently as possible to breathe the throttle and get the back gathered in. But, it snapped to the inside and hip-checked the wall.

Now, I just want to get solidly in the :30's, come home with the car unscathed and have a great weekend amongst old and new friends.
    ""

Pure Viper history right there, glad you didn't get hurt and thanks for sharing! What year was that?
    I think what really helped me be fast in a Gen 5 was starting out in a Gen 2 race car (the first car I ever tracked) and I was spinning that thing every session for a year, LOVED that car, but it gave no warning before a spin. Kudos to all the Gen 2 guys out there, you are the real badasses!
    One of the fastest guys on here "Back In Black" Keith Anderson posted here "Road America Eats Cars" and that stuck with me! That's why I posted to begin with, anyone that hasn't been there before, break out with your kids or grandkids Xbox and Forza. We went out and bought the latest Forza today, kids are going to help me set it up tomorrow. Should help with some of the blind stuff.....

It was August 1999. I was pretty dejected after that, but Courtney Thomas called and asked why I wasn't registered for the Finals a few months later. She got me motivated enough to put the car together at the last minute with primer on the rear quarter and make the Finals at MSR in Cresson, TX. I just missed the podium in Prepared.

I'm reviewing the registrations as of 7/13 and we have 29 in the Race Group, (3 RT-10's!) 30 in TT, (4 Gen 2's) and 55 Entries. If the Show folks all bring cars, that's more than half the number of cars we had at VOI #1 in Detroit - which I recall being 208!
    Last edited by GTS Dean; 08-02-2021 at 08:37 AM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    I'm jealous I won't be able to make it to this! Sounds like a lot of fun and looks like it'll be a good time.

I still remember the first time Mr. Woodhouse took me for a spin around a track during a Viper Days event when I was 13 or 14. Got me hooked on going fast and haven't stopped since.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    It was August 1999. I was pretty dejected after that, but Courtney Thomas called and asked why I wasn't registered for the Finals a few months later. She got me motivated enough to put the car together at the last minute with primer on the rear quarter and make the Finals at MSR in Cresson, TX. I just missed the podium in Prepared.

I'm reviewing the registrations as of 7/13 and we have 29 in the Race Group, (3 RT-10's!) 30 in TT, (4 Gen 2's) and 55 Entries. If the Show folks all bring cars, that's more than half the number of cars we had at VOI #1 in Detroit - which I recall being 208!
    29 in race group!! That's going to be amazing to watch!

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Southern California
    Hey AZ, be careful at RA chasing a record. Take a look at this video from David Pintaric, from May 2012. Super fast Viper driver, think he may still race in Trans Am.

Ugly outcome at RA in an ACR-X. Be safe and smart!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XhVObV_1PE
    1994 Red/Tan RT/10, '99 red ACR- sold, '06 Red/Silver Coupe-RIP, '06 Red/Silver Coupe - Sold, '08 Red/Silver ACR-C sold, 2006 Comp Coupe C-92

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTanRT/10 View Post
    Hey AZ, be careful at RA chasing a record. Take a look at this video from David Pintaric, from May 2012. Super fast Viper driver, think he may still race in Trans Am.

I've seen that! Crazy stuff! I'm not chasing anything there. lol. It's crazy they just didn't build the track with the walls farther away.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    St. Louis
    OUCH!

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    This will no doubt be covered/confirmed in the driver's meeting. You can exit the track at turn 5 at any time. No need to go all the way around on a cool down lap or if you're having trouble. They will likely insist we exit at 5 after the checkered flag.
    2008 Viper ACR
    2009 Viper SRT-10X | 190mph Standing Mile | 10.76@133.7mph 1/4 Mile

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    WV/PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    I've seen that! Crazy stuff! I'm not chasing anything there. lol. It's crazy they just didn't build the track with the walls farther away.
    That's part of what makes it and places like Watkins Glen special. They have character and there are consequences. Here's a look at it pre-walls!

-2008 Venom Red ACR Hardcore

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Illinois (IL/WI & Other)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTanRT/10 View Post

I was there that day and pitted next to him. He truly has a guardian Angel. The other thing is that even though that car was pretzeled. The drivers compartment was intact. A real testament to the guys at Chrysler that designed the cage.
    Steve A.
    2013 Track Pack, Comp Coupe VCC 062
    2004 SRT10, 2019 Hellcat Charger, 2017 RAM 3500 Dually 4x4

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    Quote Originally Posted by steve911 View Post
    I was there that day and pitted next to him. He truly has a guardian Angel. The other thing is that even though that car was pretzeled. The drivers compartment was intact. A real testament to the guys at Chrysler that designed the cage.
    So was I! You must have been on the other side.
    2008 Viper ACR

OK - the very latest revised schedule of activities has an interesting twist for Friday. ALL the Vipers competing for the weekend will be on the track AT THE SAME TIME for both practice sessions! That is going to be around SIXTY Vipers. We are all REALLY going to have to be gentlemanly out there - watch mirrors, braking zones, and be firm about point-bys.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GTS Dean; 08-04-2021 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Original PDF unsupported by VOA software

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    OK - the very latest revised schedule of activities has an interesting twist for Friday. ALL the Vipers competing for the weekend will be on the track AT THE SAME TIME for both practice sessions! That is going to be around SIXTY Vipers. We are all REALLY going to have to be gentlemanly out there - watch mirrors, braking zones, and be firm about point-bys.
    I can't see this, I download it, just gives an error. I copied it from the email-

Tuesday August 24, 2021:
    5:00-7:00pm Rig parking for track day par6cipants
    5:00-7:00pm Tech inspec6on
    Wednesday August 25, 2021
    8:30-5:00pm Private track day
    8:30-5:00pm Tech inspec6on by Appointment (Eddie Mar6n)
    12:00- 1:00pm Ride Alongs. Meals on your own.
    Thursday, August 26, 2021
    12:00-5:30pm Tech Inspec6on in RA paddock
    4:00- 7:00pm Registra6on at Osthoff Resort Palm Garden Main Foyer
    4:00- 8:00pm Cash Bar- Meet and Greet. Vendor display in Osthoff
    6:00-8:00pm GT World Challenge America Race Car Street Display (includes
    Vipers) in front of Siebkens Hotel, Downtown Elkhart.
    Friday, August 27, 2021
    7:00-7:45am Drivers Mee6ng
    8:00-8:25am Prac6ce Session for Race and TT Group
    10:00-1:00pm Car Show, judged, to include street and race Vipers
    3:00-3:30pm Prac6ce Session for Race and TT Group
    5:30-7:00pm Chicken BBQ Dinner at Road America Center North End
    6:00-6:15pm Sunset Laps for street car registrants
    7:00-9:00 pm SRT Viper Execu6ve Seminar and Car Show Awards
    Saturday, August 28, 2021
    8:30-9:30am Driver Mee6ng in building next to main restrooms
    10:40-11:00am Qualify for Race Group
    2:30-2:45pm Pre Race display, race crews and cars lined up for fans
    2:45- 3:10pm Time Trial Session 1
    3:10-3:40pm Race group Session 1 (no post race ceremony)
    5:00-11:00pm Grand banquet, Silent Auc6on, Special Awards, Guest Speakers-Osthoff
    Palm Garden Ballroom
    Sunday, August 29, 2021
    7:15-7:45am Drivers Mee6ng
    8:00-8:15am Time Trial Session 2
    9:30-9:55am Time Trial Session 3
    9:55-10:25am Race Group Session 2
    10:25-10:40am Awards at Winners Circle
    Last edited by Arizona Vipers; 08-04-2021 at 10:35 AM.

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    That's going to be a sight to see!
    2008 Viper ACR

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    That's going to be a sight to see!
    It'll be a matter of HOW many cars break, not IF one breaks. LOL. So these will be yellow flag sessions. Let's hope I'm wrong! LOL

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast