Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Enthusiast StrokerAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    678

    Anyone with an older Lotus

    Been getting the itch for one of these for a very long time but the reliability issues along with lack of parts has turned me off to them.

    I have always loved the F355 and even a softer spot for the 348 but I hear both of those have more issues than the Lotus. Anyone speak to the contrary?
    2013 GTS
    2018 RAM 1500 4x4
    1999 Camaro SS

  2. #2
    Enthusiast Patentlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Rosenberg, Texas
    Posts
    437
    Been some time since I looked at the Lotus. Back in the day, it was either this or the Viper. Outside of Princeton NJ, there was a dealer that took care of the cars. At the time, there were no "surprise" vehicles. Every vehicle was essentially known by the dealer through the network as there were so few of them out there. It was even more closed than the Viper ranks.

    Parts can be an issue and that is the way the dealers know the conditions of the cars. You really can't get many parts outside of the dealer.

    Today, a decade later, I think the Lotus dealers are in better shape because of the newer cars they sell.

    From the problems aspect, my recollection is the fuel tank venting was an issue on some cars. Also, from my recollection, the back of the dashboard is somewhat of a mess electrically. They used individual wires on some of the stuff instead of a loomed and very orderly system. If you drop the dash for some reason, you have to just "ignore" the mess and trace stuff back. Also, you have to label everything. The reason this is an issue is that the Speedo can become unplugged. Another common issue.

    Other problems include the horn. Yes......the horn. I believe it is called sad cow disease......under powered or no power. Somewhat common issue.

    Plugging of radiators......you need to be very careful that the previous owner was not running on a clogged with material (on the outside) radiator. Causes major damage.

    Hope this helps......

    Plaw

  3. #3
    Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Posts
    3,483
    I had a 1989 Esprit SE, like in the photo. Im glad I had an extended warrantee, electrical and trans issue. Great to drive. Public hated it. Vipers get LOVE.

    Also toured the factory in Hethel UK. Was my last exotic before my BEST exotic
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 10-30-2020 at 03:25 PM.
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com


  4. #4
    Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Posts
    3,483
    UK cars -

    "LUCAS - Prince of Darkness"


    Quote Originally Posted by Patentlaw View Post
    Been some time since I looked at the Lotus. Back in the day, it was either this or the Viper. Outside of Princeton NJ, there was a dealer that took care of the cars. At the time, there were no "surprise" vehicles. Every vehicle was essentially known by the dealer through the network as there were so few of them out there. It was even more closed than the Viper ranks.

    Parts can be an issue and that is the way the dealers know the conditions of the cars. You really can't get many parts outside of the dealer.

    Today, a decade later, I think the Lotus dealers are in better shape because of the newer cars they sell.

    From the problems aspect, my recollection is the fuel tank venting was an issue on some cars. Also, from my recollection, the back of the dashboard is somewhat of a mess electrically. They used individual wires on some of the stuff instead of a loomed and very orderly system. If you drop the dash for some reason, you have to just "ignore" the mess and trace stuff back. Also, you have to label everything. The reason this is an issue is that the Speedo can become unplugged. Another common issue.

    Other problems include the horn. Yes......the horn. I believe it is called sad cow disease......under powered or no power. Somewhat common issue.

    Plugging of radiators......you need to be very careful that the previous owner was not running on a clogged with material (on the outside) radiator. Causes major damage.

    Hope this helps......

    Plaw
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com


  5. #5
    Enthusiast Patentlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Rosenberg, Texas
    Posts
    437
    It is only appropriate for today.....as Sean Connery has passed......"Bond, James Bond"

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...?ocid=msedgntp
    Last edited by Patentlaw; 10-31-2020 at 09:56 AM.

  6. #6
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Arizona Vipers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Paradise Valley
    Posts
    4,833
    Man I've always loved those since I was a little kid. If you aren't going to drive it much it would be very cool to have and "cheap".

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Patentlaw View Post
    It is only appropriate for today.....as Sean Connery has passed......"Bond, James Bond"

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...?ocid=msedgntp
    That's exactly what made me want that car, when that white one drove underwater! lmao!
    @9literviper 2013 track car, 2016 ACR, 1996 GTS, 2001 RT/10, 2003 SRT/10

  7. #7
    Enthusiast StrokerAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    678
    I would mainly go towards the V8 variant but the later 4 banger isn't out of the question.
    2013 GTS
    2018 RAM 1500 4x4
    1999 Camaro SS

  8. #8
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Arizona Vipers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Paradise Valley
    Posts
    4,833
    Quote Originally Posted by StrokerAce View Post
    I would mainly go towards the V8 variant but the later 4 banger isn't out of the question.
    The newer V8 ones just look so much better imo
    @9literviper 2013 track car, 2016 ACR, 1996 GTS, 2001 RT/10, 2003 SRT/10

  9. #9
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Arizona
    Pappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas/Phoenix
    Posts
    665
    Speaking of exotics and James Bond, found this in the Mohave desert a while back. Just looked James Bond-ish. My first thoughts were "carbon fiber doors, Lexan windows, and a tube chassis" and you would have a start on an unusual track car - but I came to my senses and thought better of it.

    Pappy

    IMG_0487 (2).jpg
    Last edited by Pappy; 11-01-2020 at 11:46 AM.
    2000 Viper GTS (sold), 2016 Viper ACR-E
    Drivers: 2011 Z06/Z07, 62 Corvette, 2015 Camaro 1LE SS
    Track Cars: NASA Spec Ford Focus, 56 Corvette tube chassis

  10. #10
    Enthusiast StrokerAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    The newer V8 ones just look so much better imo
    Agreed.


    Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Speaking of exotics and James Bond, found this in the Mohave desert a while back. Just looked James Bond-ish. My first thoughts were "carbon fiber doors, Lexan windows, and a tube chassis" and you would have a start on an unusual track car - but I came to my senses and thought better of it.

    Pappy

    IMG_0487 (2).jpg
    Did you pick up that sweet "only needs a paint job" C4 in the background? lol
    2013 GTS
    2018 RAM 1500 4x4
    1999 Camaro SS

  11. #11
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Arizona
    Pappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas/Phoenix
    Posts
    665
    Since this is your thread, I don't feel like this is too much of a hijack. My brother needed a hood/grill for a 1950 Citroen, and while watching a less-than-B-grade car movie (Deuce of Spades), he saw 2 Citroens in a wrecking yard in the Mohave desert. I tracked the yard down using Google Earth - it had lots of Roadway trailers around the perimeter. I drove out and after a brief discussion regarding "No Trespassing" signs over the business end of a double barrel shotgun, I made friends with the owner. Quite a character. He gave me a tour - an old wooden Budweiser unlimited hydroplane boat, a homebuilt aircraft with an aircooled car engine and a shaft that ran between your legs to a pusher prop, and a RR Merlin P-51 engine on a stand. There was an old Studebaker hemi-powered salt flat car with a plaque on the dash saying it went 275 mph in 1976, a big block 55 Chevy from "back in the day", and a 1963 409 Impala SS drag car. I bought one of the Citroens and hauled it to Texas for my brother. In the end, the yard owner gave me instructions for a short-cut through the Mohave (dirt trail) to the back door of Lancaster, CA. I ended up at a bar called "A Wing and a Prayer" with an aircraft stuck through the roof. It's a place where a lot of the original astronauts from nearby Edwards AFB hung out. The whole thing was like a trip back in time.

    Pappy

    IMG_0478 (2).jpg

    IMG_0482 (2).jpg

    IMG_0373[1].jpg

    Edit: With a little research, I found this:

    Neil Thompson's coupe is the fastest Stude ever to run on the salt. With a two way average just under 272, and an awesome one way near 290, no other Studebaker is close. This car is what bad assed is about!

    Bonneville Studebaker.jpg
    Last edited by Pappy; 11-02-2020 at 08:37 PM.
    2000 Viper GTS (sold), 2016 Viper ACR-E
    Drivers: 2011 Z06/Z07, 62 Corvette, 2015 Camaro 1LE SS
    Track Cars: NASA Spec Ford Focus, 56 Corvette tube chassis

  12. #12
    Enthusiast StrokerAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    678
    Nice hijack and I don't mind at all! Great story and cool cars, no doubt.
    Last edited by StrokerAce; 12-17-2020 at 10:31 AM.
    2013 GTS
    2018 RAM 1500 4x4
    1999 Camaro SS

  13. #13
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Arizona Vipers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Paradise Valley
    Posts
    4,833
    Here you go dude! This ends today! https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-lotus-esprit-4/
    @9literviper 2013 track car, 2016 ACR, 1996 GTS, 2001 RT/10, 2003 SRT/10

  14. #14
    Enthusiast StrokerAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post

    That car is about perfect for what I would buy.

    Hrm.....I was debating on selling my truck as I rarely use it and just shave DD duty between the Viper and Camaro. That would let me have an open spot in the garage. I like what's been done to it but would.love green, silver or blue. Black looks good for 2 minutes. lol

    Thanks for helping find ways to spend money. Haha
    2013 GTS
    2018 RAM 1500 4x4
    1999 Camaro SS

  15. #15
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Arizona Vipers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Paradise Valley
    Posts
    4,833
    Looks like it pulled $40K
    @9literviper 2013 track car, 2016 ACR, 1996 GTS, 2001 RT/10, 2003 SRT/10

  16. #16
    Enthusiast Viper GTS-R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Uxbridge
    Posts
    87
    I have had a 1970 Europa, a 1974 Europa, a 1990 Esprit, a 1999 Esprit, and currently have a 2000 Exige S1. Don’t be scared of Lotus cars. Maintain them and you will have no issues. My Exige:52FC4836-496F-4DCB-8C1D-2BE8AA453B71.jpg
    They’re coming to get you Barbara.

  17. #17
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Arizona Vipers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Paradise Valley
    Posts
    4,833
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper GTS-R View Post
    I have had a 1970 Europa, a 1974 Europa, a 1990 Esprit, a 1999 Esprit, and currently have a 2000 Exige S1. Don’t be scared of Lotus cars. Maintain them and you will have no issues. My Exige:
    These things absolutely dominate Nasa TT3 on the track. A K-swapped one in TT2 was only 2 seconds behind my monster at Chuckwalla.
    @9literviper 2013 track car, 2016 ACR, 1996 GTS, 2001 RT/10, 2003 SRT/10

  18. #18
    Enthusiast StrokerAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper GTS-R View Post
    I have had a 1970 Europa, a 1974 Europa, a 1990 Esprit, a 1999 Esprit, and currently have a 2000 Exige S1. Don’t be scared of Lotus cars. Maintain them and you will have no issues. My Exige:52FC4836-496F-4DCB-8C1D-2BE8AA453B71.jpg
    Nice looking car!

    To be honest if I got one it would be a 3rd car and driven sparingly. Maintenance would always be kept up, like I do with all my vehicles.
    2013 GTS
    2018 RAM 1500 4x4
    1999 Camaro SS


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •