Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seat Lowering Kit Adjustable vs Fixed on pedal distance

Hi all!,

I am looking to get a seat lowering kit for my Gen4. I am 6'2' with a long-ish torso. When seated in stock seat my eyes are at the top windshield frame.

I have found 2 kinds of lowering kits...the adjustable and fixed. The adjustable gets you 1" lower and fixed gets you 2" lower.

Unfortunately, each comes with a caveat. The adjustable allows further back, but the fixed pushes up 3" from furthest stock position-thus seat closer to dash.

Please let me know what you have experienced with each and what worked best.

Thanks!
    Ron

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    I'm 6'4", about evenly split upper vs. lower body.

I need the seat in the farthest back position, so I ended up modifying the stock seat track so it just lowered the rear of the seat (where I needed it most). That dropped me about an inch, which is just enough to wear a helmet (as long as I slouch a little).

I looked at the 1" seat lowering kit back in the day, but the reviews were pretty mixed on the quality of the kits at the time.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Man. | UDP | HPT | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    I started out with a 2" nonadjustable in my Gen 4 and didn't like it. Was too low. I ended up getting a 1" adjustable. Not that I ever adjusts it. I am only 6' with a long torso.

Something that is an issue in these cars is the lower the seat the farther forward the seat needs to be . This is due to the slope of the tub behind the seat.

That is if you plan on retaining the same angle of the seat back anyway.
    2000 GTS built/Paxton:Sold
    2013 GTS
    2010 SRT10 Coupe

Regional President
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    United Kingdom
    I'm a fraction under 6,2 I have the 1" adjustable fitted in my gen 2 It works for me fine, i have the pedal rack probably mid way of adjustment, but as for looking out of the windscreen it puts my vision at mid point.

Thanks all! Great info!

One of the coolest things about htese cars is your body is less than a foot from the rear wheel...BUT also the biggest challenge for bigger guys...

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Western Reserve
    Quote Originally Posted by Franchise View Post
    Thanks all! Great info!

One of the coolest things about htese cars is your body is less than a foot from the rear wheel...BUT also the biggest challenge for bigger guys...
    Where might you be located? I'd meet up with a few members and sit in their cars. I have the 2 inch kit in mine. I'm a touch over 6' 3", my pedals are almost all the way out. I also massaged my bolsters a bit, I now sit all the way down in the seat. This really helps if your portly and or have wide shoulders.
    Stripe Delete Slate Coupe *eats curves*
    Magnum SRT8 *eats cargo*
    500 Abarth *eats vettes*

Enthusiast
    I have the 1" adjustable that came in my '08 installed by the previous owner. I really want to go back to stock as Im 5'10 and feel pretty low, an extra inch would be nice...Let me know if you may be interested in a trade? Or if you want to sell the stockers. Not sure what kind of pain it is to swap em but Im sure I can do it.

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by boraxman View Post
    I have the 1" adjustable that came in my '08 installed by the previous owner. I really want to go back to stock as Im 5'10 and feel pretty low, an extra inch would be nice...Let me know if you may be interested in a trade? Or if you want to sell the stockers. Not sure what kind of pain it is to swap em but Im sure I can do it.
    It isn't hard...you just have to remove 2 bolts (front) and 2 nuts (rear) to get the seat out. Once that is out, it should be pretty straightforward.

If you have a coupe, you'll think that the car was built around the seats...took me a solid 30 minutes of messing with it the first time to figure out how the damn things come out. You have to tilt the top of the seat towards the center of the car, and they'll come out of the door opening bottom first.

Tip: cover your door sills, door panels, and anything else even remotely close to that area to make sure you don't accidentally bump the seat tracks into anything you don't want scratched when you are pulling the seat out. The seats aren't light, and they are awkward to handle. I usually use a bunch of towels carefully draped over things.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Man. | UDP | HPT | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | Nth Moto Clutch | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Northern California
    Quote Originally Posted by boraxman View Post
    Pm sent
    2000 GTS built/Paxton:Sold
    2013 GTS
    2010 SRT10 Coupe

Thanks guys! Good info!

Boraxman
    I would be interested. PM me plz.
    I cannot seem to PM from phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    I'm 6'4", about evenly split upper vs. lower body.

I need the seat in the farthest back position, so I ended up modifying the stock seat track so it just lowered the rear of the seat (where I needed it most). That dropped me about an inch, which is just enough to wear a helmet (as long as I slouch a little).

I looked at the 1" seat lowering kit back in the day, but the reviews were pretty mixed on the quality of the kits at the time.
    This is what I did back in the day, could never recommend it though because it would modify the factory attachment, but so does the lowering kits in the end. It provided all the benefits of the aftermarket kits with the added plus of having actual leg support under the thigh rather than just sitting on your butt.
    Mark Jorgensen

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by mjorgensen View Post
    This is what I did back in the day, could never recommend it though because it would modify the factory attachment, but so does the lowering kits in the end. It provided all the benefits of the aftermarket kits with the added plus of having actual leg support under the thigh rather than just sitting on your butt.
    If it had been any more than just a couple of spot welds that I had to grind off, I probably wouldn't have done it.

For me, it was worth it, and it is 100% reversible.

Enthusiast
    I’m 6”5” and obviously it’s a bit crowded in a viper, I read several post’s about how to lower the seats, thanks everybody (especially Steve M) for sharing all your knowledge.
    On a Gen 4 there is a gateway under the driver seat and it appears to me that I can't lower the seat at all without touching the gateway and I don’t want to be reckless with the gateway.
    Is it’s possible and if, how and where could I relocate the gateway in order to be able to lower the driver seat an inch or so?
    As Steve M has done (don’t know if Steve M has relocate the gateway), I will probably also be fine with just to lower the rear of the seat.
    Before removing the seat I will of course disconnect the battery, but could I leave the battery disconnected for some days or weeks while working on lowering the seat without any other issues?

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSwede View Post
    I’m 6”5” and obviously it’s a bit crowded in a viper, I read several post’s about how to lower the seats, thanks everybody (especially Steve M) for sharing all your knowledge.
    On a Gen 4 there is a gateway under the driver seat and it appears to me that I can't lower the seat at all without touching the gateway and I don’t want to be reckless with the gateway.
    Is it’s possible and if, how and where could I relocate the gateway in order to be able to lower the driver seat an inch or so?
    As Steve M has done (don’t know if Steve M has relocate the gateway), I will probably also be fine with just to lower the rear of the seat.
    Before removing the seat I will of course disconnect the battery, but could I leave the battery disconnected for some days or weeks while working on lowering the seat without any other issues?
    I don't have time to explain at the moment, but yes, I did end up having to move the gateway a bit forward. I'll try to get you a better answer later today.

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Addressing these in turn:

Yes, do not be reckless with gateway. I don't know exactly what it does, but I don't think the car will run without it. It was installed from the factory with an air gap above the floor, so I'm assuming it needs some airflow around it.

Also, this is very important: I would not recommend unplugging the gateway. The reason I say that is because I did a few times, and ended up damaging the connector on the gateway itself so that the plug would no longer stay put. I ended up having to order a brand new gateway (thankfully they were still available at the time) to replace it. I didn't think it would be an issue, but it definitely turned in to one.

Keeping in mind that I wanted to maintain the air gap, this is a picture of what I did (I moved it forward):

I apologize for the angle of the picture...I didn't want to remove the seat for obvious reasons (mostly because it is a PITA). For some reason, I've never taken a picture of what I did with the seat removed, but it was many, many years ago, and I've only had to remove the seat one time since.

For that reason, I also don't have exact measurements to give you. Based on the picture, it is 1/16" thick aluminum angle; either 3/4" x 3/4" or 1" by 1". If I'm remembering it correctly, the gateway as it comes from the factory is attached to a sheet metal bracket that is welded to the floor pan, and that bracket has a thin cross brace connecting the sides together. I zipped that cross brace off with a Dremel, leaving just the side pieces of sheet metal in place. I used the existing threaded holes to attach the aluminum angle, and then drilled some additional holes in the aluminum brackets to move the gateway forward. You should be able to see that the gateway module is now held to the aluminum with nuts and bolts at 2 (maybe 3?) of the 4 attachment points. Again, not sure what size the bolts are, but you'll quickly figure it out when you get in there and start messing with it. If you need help with that part, just let me know.

I know some other folks have just unscrewed their module from the bracket, and left it kind of flopping around behind the seat. There's plenty of slack in the cable to do this, but I'm not sure how delicate that thing is, and I didn't want to find out the hard way. I already had to replace it once, and I don't intend to do it again.

Truth be told, I don't remember disconnecting the battery before doing any of this. The seats don't have airbags, so there really isn't much danger in anything going wrong if you leave the battery connected.

That said, it is never a bad idea to disconnect the battery when messing with electrical stuff; if you want to speed up the process, disconnect both terminals from the battery and touch them together. Grounding the positive to the negative terminal (to be clear, NOT WHEN THEY ARE STILL CONNECTED TO THE BATTERY) should drain any capacitors that still have a charge.

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Poking around a bit, I was able to find a gateway module on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-DODGE-...-/142407913348

And it looks like you might still be able to source one from Mopar if needed (hopefully not). Part number 05030349AC.

Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the information and advice!
    I was thinking of something similar to what you have done (didn't thought about the air gap though) but now i feel more comfortable getting started knowing that someone actually have done this!
    Maybe I should order a Gateway while they still are available, just in case
    I get started with removing the seat.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Central Texas
    Who makes the 1” adjustable seat lowering kit.

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Looks like Doug Shelby might offer one now for an OEM seat:

https://www.dougshelbyengineering.co...-lowering-kits

It'd certainly be worth checking with him...of anyone, I'd trust him to develop and manufacture a quality product.

Edit: it appears that Doug does NOT offer lowering brackets for the stock seats.
    Last edited by Steve M; 03-08-2021 at 09:47 AM.

Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    I took out the gen 3-4 seats and installed gen 2 seats. Sits lower and the gen 2's are way more comfortable. With the 6-point harness, don't need all those huge bolsters. Looks factory, takes people a few minutes to even notice they are different. Plus, if you swap the gen 2 seats left to right, the factory gen 2 seat belt brackets hold the seat belts from going behind the seat, awesome!
    Sublime Pearl ACRRRR
    M&M Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    Looks like Doug Shelby might offer one now for an OEM seat:

https://www.dougshelbyengineering.co...-lowering-kits

It'd certainly be worth checking with him...of anyone, I'd trust him to develop and manufacture a quality product.
    I was quite excited when I had first seen this, but for the Gen3/4 he only offers brackets for the Tillett seats, unfortunately.

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by blknblubkrdude View Post
    I was quite excited when I had first seen this, but for the Gen3/4 he only offers brackets for the Tillett seats, unfortunately.
    Ah...that is unfortunate. I'll edit my post.

VOA Member
    since 2021
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Quote Originally Posted by Franchise View Post
    Hi all!,

I am looking to get a seat lowering kit for my Gen4. I am 6'2' with a long-ish torso. When seated in stock seat my eyes are at the top windshield frame.

I have found 2 kinds of lowering kits...the adjustable and fixed. The adjustable gets you 1" lower and fixed gets you 2" lower.

Unfortunately, each comes with a caveat. The adjustable allows further back, but the fixed pushes up 3" from furthest stock position-thus seat closer to dash.

Please let me know what you have experienced with each and what worked best.

Thanks!
    Ron
    Could you please provide a link to the kits? Thanks.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky

Supporting Vendor
    I can get a lowering kit going pretty quickly for the Gen IV, it would just be a modification of the Tillett bracket. What I don't have is bolt hole patterns/spacing for the OEM seat once the slider is removed. Need someone to measure or provide these measurements relative to the OEM floor mounting points so the factory seat can be bolted right to the bracket and it will be good to go. Note it will not be adjustable but will have multiple pre-drilled mounting points.

Doug

Doug has been kind enough to send me the floor mount so I am going to do this up in my gen 4 so hopefully can get his mount to work and have a better option than the other lowering kits out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast