VOA Member
    since 2019
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming

Loud crack and all resistance gone from clutch pedal

Alright, I'm hoping the experts here will know exactly what has happened and point me in the right direction to get it corrected ASAP. Leaving a friends house and got just up the street when I depressed the clutch pedal to shift to neutral. Heard a loud "crack / pop" and felt the clutch pedal go soft. Was able to get the car out of gear, and no issues idling in neutral. Cannot get car restarted however as no clutch - no switch.

I found three pieces of black plastic on the floor mat under the clutch pedal. From the little I was able to see on the side of the road, the pedal has no resistance through entire motion, and it appears the black stopper against the floor board is attempting to pass through the steel bracket? Car was left at a friends house for now, so not able to crawl back under to take a closer look. Would like to get it un-stranded and out of their way ASAP.

Does not appear to be hydraulic related at all - more a mechanical failure in the pedal system....AFAIK

Anybody have an idea as to what happened here and what I need to fix?

Viper clutch bits.jpg
    Last edited by RacerJRP; 1 Week Ago at 06:56 PM.
    01' Sapphire Blue GTS

VOA Member
    since 2019
    Finally sitting down at the house and doing some searching. Hoping this is just a clutch bushing issue and a quick fix....though the pieces I have seem more substantial than that?
    01' Sapphire Blue GTS

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)
    Check this out as a possible cause.

https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...tch+pedal+clip

VOA Member
    since 2019
    Appreciate the link.

I'll really need to get back under the dash and see what the hell is happening. It seemed the piston was moving with pedal, just no resistance and that something funky was happening at the master cylinder end. But there was no fluid loss whatsoever from the res. So sort of hoping it's just a bushing, but based on what I saw briefly on the side of the road, and the size of the pieces I have, wondering if there is something going on with the master....
    01' Sapphire Blue GTS

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Central North Florida
    I bet the clutch master is broken. at the firewall side it has a square peg to go into a square hole in the firewall. It's inserted and then rotated 90 degrees. Then a small plastic pin clip goes through a hole to lock the Cm from rotating. If that pin is missing or broken, it could allow the Cm to rotate a little. When you press the clutch pedal the corners of the square break and the CM is no longer connected to the firewall. If this is the case then it will need to be replaced. On a Gen2 it's easy to get to if you pop the hood.

I had this happen to me a few years ago.
    03 vert, 04 coupe, 06 vert, 08 coupe, ACRX #33

Enthusiast
    that plastic looks more substantial than the bird cage, i agree, the tabs for the master have probably broken off.

VOA Member
    since 2019
    Thanks for the insight. That follows what I saw under the dash, seemed like the master pushing through the floor.

Opinions on a bare master cylinder from Rock Auto for $60 vs. the complete "kit" it looks like ROE has for $210? Dealer quoted $444. I assume this pin/clip that keeps MC in place comes with a new unit? I didn't notice anything on the floor.

Also, for future searches, the new and current Mopar # is 68437475AA
    Last edited by RacerJRP; 1 Week Ago at 10:47 AM.
    01' Sapphire Blue GTS

VOA Member
    since 2019
    Ended up going with the complete pre-bled kit from Mopar. The job took me a bit longer than anticipated, mostly just due to tight working space - the job itself was super easy and straight forward. The twist fit doesn't seem as tight as I would have thought, just easily twist by hand to loosen, but it definitely seems that the 4 tabs are seated as far as they can go.

The pics show obviously where the plastic came from after I heard the "crack" and lost the pedal. Also notice the rod is bent...which came first would you think?

clutch M 1.jpgClutch M 2.jpg
    01' Sapphire Blue GTS

I would think that the MC boss was beginning to break and lose alignment. Enough corners cracked and then the shaft flexed to failure.
    96 GTS. Viper Days Modified Class. Fresh motor 10-2020!

Glad you got this fixed.
    03 C5 Z06 - K&N filter, Corsa Sport Cat Back - Torch Red
    96 Viper GTS - Corsa Cat Back - Blue and White
    02 Honda S2000 - Fujita CAI, Invidia Single Cat Back, Comptech coils - Sebring Silver