Tires for Standing Start Racing

I am in the market for a set of tires that will accel in standing start shootout / Track Attack racing. The key here being they warm up very quickly.

I have a set of Michelin slicks on 18's, but I plan to only use them for hot lapping, I don't really want to hassle with tire warmers for them.

I will also be using these tires for AutoX, but that is not the priority here, as classing will not affect me.

Wheel size also does not matter, as I will be buying a wheelset specifically for these tires.

Bonus points if you can recommend a brake pad combo that would work good for the standing start racing.

Thanks!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    WV/PA
    Hoosier A7S and Raybestos ST43's

Slicks take longer to heat up. You'll be competitive from the start on the Hoosiers. The brake pads don't need a lot of heat in them either to work.

Excellent! After browsing for ST43 I am surprised how hard they are to come by, or most performance oriented pads for that matter.
    What front tire size do you recommend?

Thanks!

Narrower is better for aero at high speeds.
    96 GTS. Viper Days Modified Class. Fresh motor 10-2020!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Crossroads of America

If you are doing Track Attack I am assuming you are looking for a Time Trial Tire for 2-3 laps , but your classification will vary quite a bit based on who you are running with --- SCCA, NASA, Gridlife, etc. I think more information would be beneficial to give you a solid answer since doing hot laps ( HPDEs ) usually means you are running for fun, whereas the Track Attack concept sounds more like running for Competition purposes.
    Retired and time to get back on track ---literally!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    WV/PA
    Quote Originally Posted by blknblubkrdude View Post
    Excellent! After browsing for ST43 I am surprised how hard they are to come by, or most performance oriented pads for that matter.
    What front tire size do you recommend?

Thanks!
    315/30/18 front and 345/35/18 in the rear.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with pad shapes enough to tell you what other pads are available for your application. I use the Ferodo DS 111's and the DS312's on the Corvette and they work fine. The 111's would work for you but I just do not know if they make a pad that fits your application? You would have to check. I just ordered some 312's for the Corvette this morning and they had them.

Quote Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
    Narrower is better for aero at high speeds.
    you'll never get faster laps with narrower tires on road courses. At least not on street cars.
    2013 GTS- Venom Black w/ Gunmetal stripes
    2014 BRZ: Race/track car. Full retarded
    2011 Lexus GX460: Daily