Enthusiast
    Near Amsterdam airport in The Netherlands

Wiring diagram Gen 3 Viper SRT10 needed

I still have starting problems with my Viper regularly. Annoying.
    My red starting button does not react every time when turning the key.Mostly not !

I visited Kees Mets ( the dutch Viper Wizard ) recently.
    The OBD showes no faults.

Can anybody help me in getting a wiring diagram for a 2004 Viper please.
    My e-mail address is werphengel@gmail.com

Many thanks.
    Rob
    Last edited by tallbloke; 04-15-2021 at 05:29 AM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tallbloke View Post
    I still have starting problems with my Viper regularly. Annoying.
    My red starting button does not react every time when turning the key.Mostly not !

I visited Kees Mets ( the dutch Viper Wizard ) recently.
    The OBD showes no faults.

Can anybody help me in getting a wiring diagram please.
    My e-mail address is werphengel@gmail.com

Many thanks.
    Rob
    The service manual is a very large file and most email won't accommodate it; but, it has been made available at a couple of places online. Report back whether you can access the location in the following link or not.

https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...l=1#post289118
    Jim

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Michigan (Motor City Viper Owners)
    Anything like that available for Gen5?

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperSRT View Post
    Anything like that available for Gen5?
    I have a Gen 4 service manual (electronic copy), but it does not contain wiring diagrams. That is apparently is a separate manual, and I'm not sure how to go about sourcing it (although I don't really need it at the moment).

It'd be interesting to know if they did the same for the Gen 5. My guess would be that they did, but I don't know for sure.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | UDP | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | McLeod RST | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

Regional Membership Director
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Tallbloke, I may be able to help...but, I would like to know the specific year of of your Viper as I have detected a few changes in the color coding of the wiring in a few locations as the 4 model years progressed.

The Gen III manuals were all print editions...noting that the 2006 service manual is also on CD which contains page by page copies of the printed manual on said CD.
    Of course these had wiring diagrams, pinouts, etc.

The Gen IV manuals (2008 and 2009 only...no 2010) were totally different formats...and were only on CD...but the wiring info was indeed included.

Other than the start button,what are you seeking?

UPADTE: Rob, I searched your old posts...looks like your Viper is a 2004.
    Last edited by Steve-Indy; 04-13-2021 at 05:42 PM.
    I don't send or receive "PM's" since I prefer DIRECT communication.

Regional Vice President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Minnesota
    If you are talking about the red start button not working, I have had a few that failed. Most likely the button is going bad.
    Sublime Pearl ACRRRR
    M&M Performance

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AZTVR View Post
    The service manual is a very large file and most email won't accommodate it; but, it has been made available at a couple of places online. Report back whether you can access the location in the following link or not.

https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...l=1#post289118
    Hi Jim, This helps, but my Viper is a 2004 car.
    The link gives info on a 2005 Viper. The wiring diagram differs between 2004 and 2005.
    Last edited by tallbloke; 04-15-2021 at 05:32 AM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SNKEBIT View Post
    If you are talking about the red start button not working, I have had a few that failed. Most likely the button is going bad.
    Together with the red push-button malfunction my gauge cluster does not show up, although the illumination of these gauges works. Very strange !

Enthusiast
    The " therapy " I use to get the car alive is before turning the key on use the headlamp high beam stalk a few times. When I am lucky the gauge cluster including the Voltage gauge comes up and then the red push button works !

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Did your Viper have the airbag module recall performed? The reason that I ask is that when this recall was done on our 2003, the gauges failed to work and the stalk for the wipers also failed to function. The problem was solved by reconnecting those connectors...after which there were
    no further problems.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    I did a little checking. Per Chrysler's records, your Viper had the airbag (ORC) module recall (R 06) completed in January, 2015. Thus, my suggestion above has more merit. Also, aside from checking the involved switches ( start button light stalk)...check for a bad or loose common ground.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    I did a little checking. Per Chrysler's records, your Viper had the airbag (ORC) module recall (R 06) completed in January, 2015. Thus, my suggestion above has more merit. Also, aside from checking the involved switches ( start button light stalk)...check for a bad or loose common ground.

Question Steve-Indy
    Under my bonnet I found a decal from DaimlerChrysler

Mod made:PN 05029700 AG
    Change Auth: 18-004-05
    Dealer code: 26602
    Date:12/31/07

Is this the recall you mentioned ?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    No, the part number you supplied refers to a Powertrain Control Module.

Did you ever find a wiring diagrams for your Gen 4? I have the Gen 4 manual but have not been able to find any wiring diagrams?

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by prodiver View Post
    Did you ever find a wiring diagrams for your Gen 4? I have the Gen 4 manual but have not been able to find any wiring diagrams?
    As best I can tell, the wiring diagrams are contained in a separate manual.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | UDP | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | McLeod RST | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

I paid $200.00 for the service manual for an 09 Viper and it is almost worthless, difficult to use, almost impossible to print anything from it and no way to search for anything, let alone not having any wiring diagrams. See my post above about speed sensor.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    prodiver and Steve M:

I am confused !! You guys have said that you cannot find wiring diagrams for the 2009 Viper in the "manual".

While I personally dislike using the "2009 Service Information" Viper CD (i.e...."Service Manual") as purchased from Tech Authority, I am able to select the Wiring Diagram section and see diagrams and connectors, etc.

Are you guys referencing the same CD as I am using or are you using another source?

Agree the search function leaves much to be desired....BUT, by clicking on "control" and "F" while the screen shows wiring diagram, a search box appears in the upper left of my screen...type in the word and hope you get a hit.

Steve M...call me for a screen shot to be sure that we are both defining "wiring diagram" the same way 317-402-9013

VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    prodiver and Steve M:

I am confused !! You guys have said that you cannot find wiring diagrams for the 2009 Viper in the "manual".

While I personally dislike using the "2009 Service Information" Viper CD (i.e...."Service Manual") as purchased from Tech Authority, I am able to select the Wiring Diagram section and see diagrams and connectors, etc.

Are you guys referencing the same CD as I am using or are you using another source?

Agree the search function leaves much to be desired....BUT, by clicking on "control" and "F" while the screen shows wiring diagram, a search box appears in the upper left of my screen...type in the word and hope you get a hit.

Steve M...call me for a screen shot to be sure that we are both defining "wiring diagram" the same way 317-402-9013
    For me, it is another source, but I can't speak for prodiver.

I did not purchase a manual through Tech Authority. What I have was sent by another member (13COBRA), and is a .pdf titled "2008-2010 DODGE VIPER SERVICE AND REPAIR MANUAL". It is a 6,000+ page document with a lot of good info, but does not contain any wiring diagrams.

The screen shot you sent as a text I would consider a wiring diagram, and would likely be helpful assuming it has everything. A good test to exercise the system would be to see if it contains the pin-outs, including wire colors, for the gateway module under the driver's seat, and the same for the OBDII port under the dash.

This appears to be a case of me making an assertion based on incomplete data. More specifically, maybe I should actually buy the manual before claiming it doesn't have everything rather than relying on a community sourced free version.

prodiver does appear to have bought something though, but not exactly sure what.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Thanks, Steve...thought I was maybe misinterpreting the definition of diagram.

Thank you everyone for your input. The service manual I have came from Tech Authority and it is on a little tiny thumb drive. Is yours actually on a CD? The one I have says 2010 Service Information. When I ordered it they told me there was no manual for the 2009. I cannot find a wiring diagram section on it or a way to search for anything. I am still trying to locate a speed sensor that I can tap into for the GPS. and what wire to use.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    As I understand it, the thumb drives and WUSB sources popped up much later in the game. In fact, well after the 2010 Viper production ceased, there was no Service Manual for that year available when I routinely searched Tech Authority. Also, I found interesting differences in the 2008 and 2009 CD that I did obtain.

Later in the Gen V time frame, the only wiring info I could find was the 2017 on WUSB. Certainly none existed on my 2014 and 2015 CD's.

I will try to rev up my old Vista computer with the CD drive to see if I can find a spot for you to tap the signal. I kind of recall the connector location that is a likely spot.
    But admittedly this is not something that I have needed to try myself.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky
    Hopefully the diagrams will be of interest. Best of luck with your project.

I certainly enjoyed speaking with you, Sir !!