Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Action of 2021

Last Sunday I was able to get out for the first time this year, and the first time since last August or so. Incredibly green track, lots of moisture, and cool. Took a while to even be remotely confident the slicks were going to hold, but managed some decent times. Best I had on camera was the 1:45.404, I did run 3 1:44s throughout the day (reference, I was running consistent 1:41/42 last year).

I had scheduled to run all day, but after 4 sessions I took my 7 year old for lunch and when we came back he was helping me rotate tires side to side. I noticed an oily smell and looked underneath, it appeared my rear differential was leaking something terrible. It was really odd because there wasn't a trail leading to the garage or anything, just about a gallon of oil on the ground. Ended up loading up about 2pm and heading home. I didn't have time to get it on a lift until Monday night, but quickly found out it wasn't the differential, but rather the transmission. LUCKILY, it was just the vent line on top of the transmission that wasn't torqued down properly. Last fall I replaced the slave cylinder and we must not have torqued it all the way when we put the transmission back in. I wasn't even all that upset as it cost me a few hundred dollars for fluid and what not, rather than an EMCO transmission overhaul.

Ready to go back out in a few weeks after there's some more rubber down on the track!

E8ymnRBA.jpg

LQ3A2689.jpg
    Last edited by 13COBRA; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:08 AM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Great video dude! What track is that???
    @9literviper 2013 track car, 2016 ACR, 1996 GTS, 2001 RT/10, 2003 SRT/10

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    Great video dude! What track is that???
    Heartland Motorsports Park. Super nice track, they redid the surface in 2016 and it's still super smooth and getting faster every year with more and more rubber down.

It's a fun track with multiple variations! You need to come bless us with the presence of your MONSTER sometime!

http://heartlandmotorsports.us/

HMP.jpg

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Arizona
    Can you post a link to the video. Thanks.

Pappy
    2000 Viper GTS (sold), 2016 Viper ACR-E
    Drivers: 2011 Z06/Z07, 62 Corvette, 2015 Camaro 1LE SS
    Track Cars: NASA Spec Ford Focus, 56 Corvette tube chassis

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Can you post a link to the video. Thanks.

Pappy
    Sure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TCOqsOVFgk

Well done.

Says Chin on the overlay... but you appeared to have the place to yourself! Not many signed up?
    2015 TA 2.0 Venom Black. 2001 Sapphire Blue Roadster SOLD, 1994 Viper Black Roadster SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by TA Two Oh View Post
    Well done.

Says Chin on the overlay... but you appeared to have the place to yourself! Not many signed up?
    It was nice. There were probably 25-30 cars signed up. I'm an opportunist. So if there's a 40-60 minute session window, I'll go out the last 20 and have the entire track for myself haha

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Central California
    Car is looking great Nick..!

Quote Originally Posted by Exhlr8n View Post
    Car is looking great Nick..!
    Thanks Tom, wishing I had your West Coast weather so my track time wasn't so limited!

It snowed 5 inches yesterday morning...and then was gone by 2pm.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2018
    NY/CT
    Awesome!
    2008 Viper SRT-10 ACR
    Black with Red Drivers Stripe
    1 of 36

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2021
    WV/PA
    That is one of the prettiest Comp Coupes I have ever seen. Wow!! Beautiful!!

Quote Originally Posted by Racingswh View Post
    I stole the livery from Martin Fedko (VCC # 89). He has the true painted version, I cheated and had mine wrapped. haha

VOA Member
    since 2019
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    Such a badass setup! I was joking with my wife the other day that I should wrap my new NC miata track toy like this, since it's white. Really as an homage, but she said it may come off too poser-ish...
    01' Sapphire Blue GTS

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Southern California
    Hey Nick, I had to pause when I saw the post reading "first action", then I remembered where you were. My guys in Detroit said light snow was forecasted last night.

I've been out 4-5? weekends already. Catwood and I were out at Buttonwillow last weekend and I skipped the 4th session both days as the temps were in the upper 80's.

Nice video and looks like a fun track, your car never ceases to amaze me with those low engine temps are, candidly I have a hard time believing those 160's in the video are correct!!

Good catch on the trans, that would have been very expensive if you had run it too low.

Working now with Nicholas at GearTronics and hope to have the paddles in by June. Dan Cragin will do the set up and hope to be posting pictures once the process begins. Take care and best wishes? How many F-150's in stock today, 3?? Tough times, hang in there. Mike
    1994 Red/Tan RT/10, '99 red ACR- sold, '06 Red/Silver Coupe-RIP, '06 Red/Silver Coupe - Sold, '08 Red/Silver ACR-C sold, 2006 Comp Coupe C-92

Quote Originally Posted by RedTanRT/10 View Post
    Hey Nick, I had to pause when I saw the post reading "first action", then I remembered where you were. My guys in Detroit said light snow was forecasted last night.

I've been out 4-5? weekends already. Catwood and I were out at Buttonwillow last weekend and I skipped the 4th session both days as the temps were in the upper 80's.

Nice video and looks like a fun track, your car never ceases to amaze me with those low engine temps are, candidly I have a hard time believing those 160's in the video are correct!!

Good catch on the trans, that would have been very expensive if you had run it too low.

Working now with Nicholas at GearTronics and hope to have the paddles in by June. Dan Cragin will do the set up and hope to be posting pictures once the process begins. Take care and best wishes? How many F-150's in stock today, 3?? Tough times, hang in there. Mike
    Don't even get me started on snow. The following picture is from Tuesday morning, ended up with about 5"....but it was all melted and gone by 3pm.

20210420_070216.jpg

With the IATs being in the low 60s, that's pretty standard for the car. When the IATs crest into the 80s, it'll jump up! It's just a little cold blooded, that's all!

I want paddles, bad. I'm just having a hard time convincing myself that the five figure investment is worth the second at the track haha
    Attached Images Attached Images

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by Racingswh View Post
    Agreed!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2015
    Arizona

If you are running hot, the best thing you can do is start as cold as possible on grid. I start with my coolant around 150. I heat my oil to about 150, then it's 180 by the time I hit it hard and coolant temps are 160 and barely reach 200.

Agreed!
    I appreciate that.

I've been chatting with Scot... I think I'm going to 9.0L it this offseason.

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Southern California
    If you are running hot, the best thing you can do is start as cold as possible on grid. I start with my coolant around 150. I heat my oil to about 150, then it's 180 by the time I hit it hard and coolant temps are 160 and barely reach 200.
    I'll try that AZ, I'm usually warmed up at 180-190 at the start. I don't get over 210 unless I'm in a drafting situation or air temps are in the 90's
    1994 Red/Tan RT/10, '99 red ACR- sold, '06 Red/Silver Coupe-RIP, '06 Red/Silver Coupe - Sold, '08 Red/Silver ACR-C sold, 2006 Comp Coupe C-92

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Southern California
    Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post

I want paddles, bad. I'm just having a hard time convincing myself that the five figure investment is worth the second at the track haha
    Maybe on that track it's only worth a second or two? Seems like a mostly 2 gear track?

With my close ratio, lots of the tracks I go to have a bunch more shifting. I just looked Laguna and Buttonwillow videos, 7 up-shifts and 4 downshifts including 3, 2-gear downshifts. At Buttonwillow 10-up-shifts, 6 downshifts including 4 2-gear downshifts. I always use the clutch so with no-lift up-shifts and rev matching downshifts I'm thinking maybe 3 seconds per lap at each. Plus, with the no-lift and rev matching down, there are a couple of places where I hold it in gear to the redline vs. shift.

With the GearTronics it will run me about $13k with labor. How much for a 9.0L and will it get you the same results??

If you are up-shifting and clutching, you are off throttle for a split second each time and losing acceleration. When you are downshifting, you are typically on the brakes the whole time, so counting that 'lost time' is not totally lost.
    96 GTS. Viper Days Modified Class. Fresh motor 10-2020!

Maybe on that track it's only worth a second or two? Seems like a mostly 2 gear track?

With my close ratio, lots of the tracks I go to have a bunch more shifting. I just looked Laguna and Buttonwillow videos, 7 up-shifts and 4 downshifts including 3, 2-gear downshifts. At Buttonwillow 10-up-shifts, 6 downshifts including 4 2-gear downshifts. I always use the clutch so with no-lift up-shifts and rev matching downshifts I'm thinking maybe 3 seconds per lap at each. Plus, with the no-lift and rev matching down, there are a couple of places where I hold it in gear to the redline vs. shift.

With the GearTronics it will run me about $13k with labor. How much for a 9.0L and will it get you the same results??
    $13k isn't horrible.

At Heartland I have 6 up shifts and 6 down shifts. I might be a little light on my guess of a second, but I can't see it being much more than that. Like Dean said, while downshifting I'm already braking and there aren't any double gear downshifts.

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts after a day or two with it.
    Last edited by 13COBRA; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:05 PM.

VOA Member
    since 2014
    Southern California
    Quote Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
    If you are up-shifting and clutching, you are off throttle for a split second each time and losing acceleration. When you are downshifting, you are typically on the brakes the whole time, so counting that 'lost time' is not totally lost.
    Dean, I think with the paddles and left foot braking and left foot trail braking, I'll will be much faster, especially on 2 gear downshifts. The paddles with the auto blip function are going to be faster and more consistent then me heel-toeing. We'll see?

Dean, I think with the paddles and left foot braking and left foot trail braking, I'll will be much faster, especially on 2 gear downshifts. The paddles with the auto blip function are going to be faster and more consistent then me heel-toeing. We'll see?
    Do you still have the drive by cable throttle body?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2016
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post
    Do you still have the drive by cable throttle body?
    I ran into that problem with my mechanical linkage Wilson throttle body. I ended up using a BMW throttle drive motor and a GM DBW throttle pedal. It took a little tuning to sync all the throttle position sensors through the Motec (pedal, drive motor, TPS on the throttle body), but now I have auto-blip capability.

Pappy
    2000 Viper GTS (sold), 2016 Viper ACR-E
    Drivers: 2011 Z06/Z07, 62 Corvette, 2015 Camaro 1LE SS
    Track Cars: NASA Spec Ford Focus, 56 Corvette tube chassis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast