Supporting Vendor JonB ~ PartsRack's Avatar
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]

WHEN are your Tires SIX YEARS OLD

"You must be 'THIS TALL' to ride this ride....No Exceptions"

"""Check your tire dates and replace them if they are more than 6 years old, otherwise you will not be allowed on the track."""" Check ALL 4 TIRE DOT DATE CODES.

Many HPDE track events don't allow participants with tires "older than 6 years." Why? Tires oxidize more when inflated, heat-cycled by driving, and aged by weather. Your "Great Looking Tread" has LITTLE TRACTION Remaining. And, the SOFTER the rubber compound originally, the FASTER-SOONER it hardens. OE tires harden slower, while 'R-compounds' harden much faster. 6-year old Pirellis or Michelins are certainly safer than 6-year old Hoosiers, Toyos, Shittos, etc. But few sanctioning bodies differentiate. 6 years is often The Limit.

Obviously, if your tires are 5 yrs + 51 weeks old they are NOT yet 6 years old. ( Til Next Week!)

For example, today is 4/16/21. DOT Date Code 1521 on a tire manufactured today. If your sidewall DOT Date Code is 1515, THAT TIRE is 6 years old NOW. Tomorrow it will be "OLDER than 6 years."

So, if you are considering a track day that enforces the "No Older Than 6 years" rule, check your DOT date codes on all 4 sidewalls. Any number LOWER than 1515 is OLDER than 6 years old.

Conversely, numbers HIGHER than 1515 will be less than 6 years old as of this week.

Please consider: You probably apply tire dressings when detailing your car. So you KNOW the tires are in great shape, right? Your DOT date code is right there, on that shiny sidewall! Take a note. But how often do you dress the hot, dry, INNER sidewalls? When was the last time you even saw the inners, much less cleaned or dressed them? Tires that rot, bulge, and fail, usually fail inside. Think about it. You may be asking too much of your old tires. Vipers demand a LOT of traction when braking and cornering.

'Ditch Your Old Tires before they ditch you' .... Be Safe Out There. JonB@PartsRack.com

ALSO:

"YOU MUST BE BORN ON OR BEFORE THIS DATE YEAR 2000 TO PURCHASE ALCOHOL"
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 04-19-2021 at 04:07 PM.
    Jon "JonB" Brobst ~~~~:<~ JonB@PartsRack.com

Nothing like hard tires. they will really teach you a great line for when you put your Hoosiers on...Your testerone level will greatly increase,
    or estrogen levels will increase...
    1996 Nextel CupCar FS
    2003 Comp Coupe FS

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    NY/CT
    Thanks for the reminder Jon. I have 12 year old tires on my Gen2 I need to swap. Since having the G5s the G2 has been stored and forgotten, sadly. I'll call you for some tires this coming week. I'm sure once I get fresh tires on it, I'll be driving it all summer.
    2016 ACR "ACR Steve White" by Woodhouse
    2001 RT/10 Greg Good Heads+Built Engine+Cam+Ported Intake and other goodies

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTony View Post
    Thanks for the reminder Jon. I have 12 year old tires on my Gen2 I need to swap. Since having the G5s the G2 has been stored and forgotten, sadly. I'll call you for some tires this coming week. I'm sure once I get fresh tires on it, I'll be driving it all summer.
    Ready When U R, from $1295 / set THANKS

We have a NEW Continental C-Force tire, treadwear 200, coming June 1. Wanna be the mule?
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 04-19-2021 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frankbarba View Post
    nothing like hard tires. They will really teach you a great line for when you put your hoosiers on...your testerone level will greatly increase,
    or estrogen levels will increase...

frank, are you saying it you could make you squeal like a girl?

VOA Member
    since 2014
    South Central Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    Ready When U R, from $1295 / set THANKS

We have a NEW Continental C-Force tire, treadwear 200, coming June 1. Wanna be the mule?
    Viper sizes?
    2009 Viper Red ACR w/stripe delete & black/red interior (1 of 1)
    1997 b/w GTS....sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII, not stock

Quote Originally Posted by SA Heat View Post
    Viper sizes?
    Yes James, to fit 18" and 18-19" G2-3-4-5. "200 Treadwear" but likely softer. Ship Early June. Wanna be a Mule ?!

Email JonB@PartsRack.com for info, Thanks

What are your thoughts on 5 or 6 year old brand new Hoosiers that have been in a climate controlled garage? I figured I would use them at an event and heavily monitor the tires for issues (come in part of the way through practice and have someone look at them).
    2015 Competition Blue with Graphite Stripes
    Pilot of Comp Coupe Chassis #4 and Chassis # 120

Quote Originally Posted by Fulltilt View Post
    What are your thoughts on 5 or 6 year old brand new Hoosiers that have been in a climate controlled garage? I figured I would use them at an event and heavily monitor the tires for issues (come in part of the way through practice and have someone look at them).
    I'll share a text message that my father sent me - he works at the HQ for one of the major US brands.

I ran into this with old tires for one of my others cars that had been stored inside, but not climate controlled.

That's a much debated topic and has to do with the amount of heat they are exposed to over that time. If stored in a cool dry environment then no "reduced" lifetime. But if in a hot location then reduce the life by one standard deviation. I would expect you will experience faster rubber "usage " than normal.
    Under full power, they definitely slip more than they did when new, but they're also 300TW tires, were exposed to Texas ambient summer heat, and are 10 years old. Honestly, Hoosier tends to have good customer service, so you might try calling them direct (although, I think they recently changed hands/ownership, so maybe that's changed).
    2005 Cobalt SS - PT5557 @ 20 psi + E85
    1997 Dodge Viper GTS - No Explanation Required
    1986 VW GTI - Lightweight Eyesore Track Car

Have they been stretched by mounting and inflation? Mounting allows more O-2 to oxidize/harden. Otherwise, new, never-mounted 'sticker' tires would likely retain 85-90% of 'new' traction, unless they were attic-heated or frozen in that time.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Capital Vipers (DC/DE/MD/VA)
    Mine are 29 years old and look new—but I don’t drive them.
    17 GTS-R, 92 Viper, (Lutz VIN 00002) , 06 Heritage Ford GT, 19 Ferrari 488 Pista,
    15 Lamborghini Aventador, 18 Ford GT

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerviper View Post
    Mine are 29 years old and look new—but I don’t drive them.
    The very very first Dodge mule cars had Goodyears! Then Michelin won the contract

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Capital Vipers (DC/DE/MD/VA)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    The very very first Dodge mule cars had Goodyears! Then Michelin won the contract

Never knew that.
    17 GTS-R, 92 Viper, (Lutz VIN 00002) , 06 Heritage Ford GT, 19 Ferrari 488 Pista,
    15 Lamborghini Aventador, 18 Ford GT

JonB...Possible to scream like a girl. I threw estrogen in there for women who race..Who doesn't like a fast one...
    1996 Nextel CupCar FS
    2003 Comp Coupe FS

You are using critical thinking and prudence, just like I do. I'd run them.

The issue now is that some commercial shops are tending to refuse to mount tires over 6 years old. I bought a fresh set of PS2's from Jon several years back then waited 4 years to mount them. My tires are neatly stacked in the darkest part of my well insulated garage. Discount was making noise about them being 'close to too old.' If that keeps up, I'm going to gear up to mount them myself and use a plain old bubble balancer.

BTW - the tires are perfect.
    96 GTS. Viper Days Modified Class. Fresh motor 10-2020!

Quote Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
    ....... The issue now is that some commercial shops are tending to refuse to mount tires over 6 years old. I bought a fresh set of PS2's from Jon several years back then waited 4 years to mount them. My tires are neatly stacked in the darkest part of my well insulated garage. Discount was making noise about them being 'close to too old.' If that keeps up, I'm going to gear up to mount them myself and use a plain old bubble balancer.

BTW - the tires are perfect.

Discount trains their counter folks well, Prospecting for revenue: "Your TPMS are Too Old" and "Your tires are too old" and "Your Lug Nuts and wheel studs are old / rusty etc

''Want FRIES with that?''
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 04-22-2021 at 04:13 PM.

Thanks for the input fellas. I have 12 tires unmounted. My main concern is the way the tires will wear or the tires suddenly coming apart. Right before I stopped racing I had a almost brand new Hoosier split the sidewall as if it was done with a knife. The tires had plenty of air and I ran my fastest time ever right when the tire failed. Could have been a freak thing.
    2015 Competition Blue with Graphite Stripes
    Pilot of Comp Coupe Chassis #4 and Chassis # 120

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2020
    Mid-South (AR/LA/MS)
    I think I'll be one of the mules! Email sent!
    2017 GTS-R Blue GTC - TA 1.0 Group
    2016 Focus RS
    2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by PkB2014 View Post
    I think I'll be one of the mules! Email sent!
    HEEE-HAAAWWW. HEEE-HAAWW

Thanks PkB but I cannot ID you !!

JonB@Partsrack.com
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 04-28-2021 at 04:00 PM.

I am the Mule.

Quote Originally Posted by mackzilla View Post
    I am the Mule.

​HEEE-HAWWW !! thanks Z

I am The Walrus.

96 GTS. Viper Days Modified Class. Fresh motor 10-2020!