Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    VOA Member
    since 2021
    New Jersey

    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    4

    Oil Cooler Lines

    Hi - first post so be gentle...

    Just purchased a 2013 GTS with 14k (traded a Hellcat Charger) - love the car but today saw a small spot of oil underneath, passenger side front. I’m assuming by what I read it’s probably the cooler lines leaking. Ordered a set of aftermarket lines from Prefix.

    Question - how easy to swap out, and do I need to drain all the oil or will I just lose what’s in the cooler and lines?

    Many thanks

  2. #2
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap View Post
    Hi - first post so be gentle...

    Just purchased a 2013 GTS with 14k (traded a Hellcat Charger) - love the car but today saw a small spot of oil underneath, passenger side front. I’m assuming by what I read it’s probably the cooler lines leaking. Ordered a set of aftermarket lines from Prefix.

    Question - how easy to swap out, and do I need to drain all the oil or will I just lose what’s in the cooler and lines?

    Many thanks
    Luckily haven't had this problem with my viper yet (ticking time bomb lol), but I did replace on my viper truck. Better to complete with oil drained, less of a mess. I coordinated around a oil change
    2014 SRT Viper GTS
    2005 Ram SRT-10 QC

  3. #3
    VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Steve M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    4,174
    This will give you an idea of what you are in for: https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...acement-Gen-IV
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | UDP | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | McLeod RST | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap View Post
    Hi - first post so be gentle...

    Just purchased a 2013 GTS with 14k (traded a Hellcat Charger) - love the car but today saw a small spot of oil underneath, passenger side front. I’m assuming by what I read it’s probably the cooler lines leaking. Ordered a set of aftermarket lines from Prefix.

    Question - how easy to swap out, and do I need to drain all the oil or will I just lose what’s in the cooler and lines?

    Many thanks
    Yes, we've all had (or will have) this issue. The dealer you purchased from should have fixed this prior to you taking delivery. I would push back on them.
    2013 Dodge Viper SRT Track Pack Adrenaline Red
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab 5.7L 4x4 Blue Streak Pearl

  5. #5
    VOA Member
    since 2013
    Indiana/Kentucky

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    329

    Oil lines

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    This will give you an idea of what you are in for: https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...acement-Gen-IV
    I would put on a set of aftermarket one from viperspecialty. Otherwise you will be changing them again .

  6. #6
    VOA Member
    since 2021
    New Jersey

    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    4
    Thank you all, just bought the car used and the dealer doesn’t want to know, I’m ok to handle this myself... I’ll coordinate with an oil change.

    Rest of the car is perfect - love it

  7. #7
    VOA Member
    since 2021
    New Jersey

    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    4
    oil lines swapped, a little painful but not impossible, jacked up one side of the car and just removed the oil filter, lost about 1/2 quart (contents of filter), the size of the fittings was a pain with the weight of the wrenches in tight spaces above your head . Took about 2 hours start to finish. If I didn’t have the benefit of this forum and everyone’s help it would have been impossible.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap View Post
    oil lines swapped, a little painful but not impossible, jacked up one side of the car and just removed the oil filter, lost about 1/2 quart (contents of filter), the size of the fittings was a pain with the weight of the wrenches in tight spaces above your head ������. Took about 2 hours start to finish. If I didn’t have the benefit of this forum and everyone’s help it would have been impossible.
    Good to hear! Next time mine need doing, I'll come to your place - I'll buy the pizza and beer!
    2013 Dodge Viper SRT Track Pack Adrenaline Red
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab 5.7L 4x4 Blue Streak Pearl

  9. #9
    VOA Member
    since 2021
    New Jersey

    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by swexlin View Post
    Good to hear! Next time mine need doing, I'll come to your place - I'll buy the pizza and beer!
    Sold!!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap View Post
    Sold!!
    Congrats on the new ride. I’m only 7 months in and still wake up to look at in the garage. Haha
    2016 Viper GT - Gunmetal Pearl

  11. #11
    VOA Member
    since 2020
    Capital Vipers (DC/DE/MD/VA)

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    North VA
    Posts
    250
    For me, the oil cooler lines was a powertrain warranty item (if you have recalls R28 and R29 done). So unless you really want to do it yourself, I would look into that with the dealership. Otherwise it was about $820 with the oil change included.

  12. #12
    20201229_150951.jpg

    These types of crimps are prone to failure across all makes and models.
    I assembled mine using Racetronix parts for around $110, with enough spare material to build another hose, if there were a failure.

  13. #13
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    Luisv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by blknblubkrdude View Post
    20201229_150951.jpg

    These types of crimps are prone to failure across all makes and models.
    I assembled mine using Racetronix parts for around $110, with enough spare material to build another hose, if there were a failure.
    I've got some PTFE braided hose in the garage. Mostly -8 and -6 but I have about 3 feet or so of -10. I'm planning on doing the same on my Gen V but would prefer not to take it apart before I have the replacements. What size hose are you using and are those Metric or SAE thread O-Ring fitting... (ORB)? Basically, I need to get the threads and the line sizes.

    Was considering and AN fitting adapter so swapping the lines if they leak again would be easier.

    Thanks!
    Luis V.
    Miami, Florida
    2002 Dodge Viper GTS - FE #298 & 2013 Dodge Viper GTS

  14. #14
    VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Steve M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    4,174
    Pretty sure the lines are -10, and the fittings are -10 O-Ring Boss (ORB) at each end. 45° fittings at the block, 90° fittings at the oil cooler.

    I'd pass on the adapters, but that's just me. It's just one more connection/fitting to potentially fail IMO.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | UDP | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | McLeod RST | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by CNU_Physics View Post
    For me, the oil cooler lines was a powertrain warranty item (if you have recalls R28 and R29 done). So unless you really want to do it yourself, I would look into that with the dealership. Otherwise it was about $820 with the oil change included.
    Interesting. I have the powertrain, but they said the lines were not covered under that. They were covered under by extended bumper to bumber, but I had to pay the 100 deductible.
    2013 Dodge Viper SRT Track Pack Adrenaline Red
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab 5.7L 4x4 Blue Streak Pearl

  16. #16
    VOA Member
    since 2020
    Ohio
    Steve M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    4,174
    Quote Originally Posted by swexlin View Post
    Interesting. I have the powertrain, but they said the lines were not covered under that. They were covered under by extended bumper to bumber, but I had to pay the 100 deductible.
    I have no doubt they did this, but wow, what a dick move.
    2008 SRT-10 Coupe - Venom Red Metallic w/ White Stripes - 1/4 Mile Passes (YouTube)
    High Flow Cats | Gen 5 Intake Manifold | UDP | HPTuners | 3.55s | MCS | DSS Axles | McLeod RST | 11.027 @ 130.06 (Vid), 1.78 60' (+1,622 ft DA, w/ 3.55s & Hoosier Drag Radials)

  17. #17
    VOA Member
    since 2020
    Capital Vipers (DC/DE/MD/VA)

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    North VA
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by swexlin View Post
    Interesting. I have the powertrain, but they said the lines were not covered under that. They were covered under by extended bumper to bumber, but I had to pay the 100 deductible.
    I would check with another dealership then, it should be covered.

  18. #18
    Enthusiast GTS Dean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    New Braunfels, TX
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    Pretty sure the lines are -10, and the fittings are -10 O-Ring Boss (ORB) at each end. 45° fittings at the block, 90° fittings at the oil cooler.

    I'd pass on the adapters, but that's just me. It's just one more connection/fitting to potentially fail IMO.
    I think it really boils down to accessibility for wrenching. The good thing about a JIC 37* hose is they are usually pretty easy to R&R. However, Gen 2 dash-10 oil filter boss attachments are not. Longer adapters would help there.
    96 GTS. Viper Days Modified Class. Fresh motor 10-2020!

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by CNU_Physics View Post
    I would check with another dealership then, it should be covered.
    This was a couple years ago. If it happens again while I'm still under warranty, I'll press the issue. If I'm out of warranty, I'll buy upgraded lines, and take it to a trusted local mechanic.
    2013 Dodge Viper SRT Track Pack Adrenaline Red
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab 5.7L 4x4 Blue Streak Pearl


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •